UNC Postgame

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It may be worse. VT usually defends us better than most and who knows what the status with JT is. VT destroyed the team that destroyed us today.
That was early in the season. Things change VT barely beat Puke today. Every stat was almost even. If wasn't for a Beamerball play VT would have lost. But I do agree if we cannot keep VT under 24 we probably lose

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was a fun 7 hours watching GT and Syracuse.

Silver lining is an extra hour this weekend to watch highlights.

Had to head out this afternoon and recorded the Syracuse Clemson game.. ouch. At least I could fast forward through commercials and half time.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
UNC passed the ball 35 times. We had zero, zilch, null, nothin' nada in the sack column.

That stat speaks volumes as to what a big part of what our problem is on the D side of the ball. Even when we blitzed we ran into ourselves, creating a clogged toilet effect - we stunk on D.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what the answer is. I felt at the end of 2013, we should have considered making a head coaching change. With that said, we may have missed out on the 2014 season. Only problem is we have to live thru these past two seasons and I really can't see what will change next year, especially on defense. Is it Roof, personnel or a combination of both...definitely a combination of both in my opinion. Our DL has always been a weak spot, but now the LB crew is slow and not very good. The DBs look like deer in headlights. Can Roof scheme better with his personnel...I would think definitely yes...this is the second most yards allowed in GT's history...it just can't continue to be excused with the same old CPJ comments...it's time to get it fixed. The offense actually looks better lately minus stupid mistakes but an offense can't be expected to win every game. So do you fire Roof and keep CPJ...don't think it will change much in near term...hasn't seemed to work in CPJ's tenure...or do you make a head coaching change. At this point I don't think you change until after next year. You have some decent recruits coming in and if Roof is fired they are most likely gone. Plus, the next fire probably needs to be a whole change in the coaching staff. So, probably another year with this staff...let's hope there is some serious intervention.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Good point but maybe they can get in the GT family, redshirt, and be around for a new DC the following year...just looking for the best possible outcome to the mess we are in :(
This crap needs to be fixed now. If PJ doesn't want to fix it, then he should ride off in the sunset at the end of the year. I'm to the point that I don't care which happens.

Milwaukee

Banned
He played a tough game and yes, it was impressive. However, I have a tough time saying a guy played a GREAT game if he loses two fumbles.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mills...let's just keep a little perspective.

I think he played a great game. But I realize he needs to sure up on the fumbles.

Nobody's happy tonight.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Didn't watch the game today for the first time since I went to my first GT game in 2008.
Went to West Georgia today to watch my High School win it's 4th straight Region title in competition cheerleading. Which I guarantee was better than the crap show we put on today.

I've never been a fan of firing Head Coaches, especially ones that have been successful before. All you see now a day is coaches becoming victims of their own success.
"If you win 11 in 2014 Winning 3 in 15' and (MAYBE) 6 in 16' isn't acceptable. Coach must be fired. Panic Button." Look at Les Miles, Phillip Fulmer etc.

I don't think that way at all. If any Coaches are fired this year it won't make sense to me. When you're only beating Duke by 3 and BC by 3 it's not coaching. It's talent, which we have a lot of and a lot more of it coming in.
Depth Wise next year will be one of the most Talented Offenses CPJ has ever had. If we can find a good QB next year will look a lot like 2014. Both of our best Offensive Lineman are TRUE freshman. Lynch, Green, Searcy, Cotrell, Jeune, The Brad Stewart. ALL coming back.

On defense, We might start 3-4 True Freshman. Bruce will start 100% unless Knock on Wood he gets hurt. Bonds, T. Swilling and Askew will all see the field. One our maybe all
of them Might end up starting. Woods and Simmons on the Ends next year. PASS RUSH. Finally...
Would love to see some Nickle - 46 looks next year. Just have so much speed and length think it would work well for us.
Please Lord don't let us fire Roof. We've tried it before... 3 time.
Remember HELP IS ON THE WAY.
ROLL TECH. Let's go get bowl Eligable in Blacksburg Saturday.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I know you guys will feel better if CTR is fired, but it will not improve our personnel. Our LBs and D tackles would not start at most division 1 schools. Nuff said.
I don't know if that's a CTR issue or not; I have watched every game since 1991 but I don't know, and neither do most of us.

I do know that our LBs are playing in a pseudo-random rotation, which means CTR doesn't really have a preference. None of them seem confident enough in their first step to scrape to a read -- that could be attributed to scheme / coaching -- but some of them are just outrun (some have compared Mitchell to Ron Rogers; I agree but I don't think that's flattering in a spread-dominated college game) or run over (david curry is a nickel, not a LB).

It's hard to watch. I thought while watching that our secondary played better than usual, not that it mattered.