no, def is not Navy's forte either but they stopped ND when they had to
fine, if you think Navy is not playing better than us,good for you

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
so who won? who gave up 600+ yds?
I didn't see the ND/Navy game and have no skin in this. Not trying to make a defense of our defense.

That said, to address your points in order:
  • ND had 6 possessions. In order for them to get 600+ yards, well, I don't need to do the math for you.
  • Navy stopped ND from scoring once. They allowed 4.5 points (avg) every time ND touched the ball. Box score suggests Navy's win had more to do with their offense.
  • Perhaps Navy as a team is playing better. I have no clue. I haven't watched them for more than a few possessions this year. My post was a response to how Navy's D looked vs. ND. Stats say their D wasn't good yesterday. Perhaps more disciplined and smart as you suggested. Results still looked familiar.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
so who won? who gave up 600+ yds?
ND is a completely different team than they were last year, especially on D. I went to the game Saturday in Jax, I saw with my own eyes and my brother, the ND grad, sat next to me and told me all about it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You are equating D talent with D performance. I think many of us believe we have the talent to perform better than we do.
The most talented guys in that list are all young and have their best days ahead. The upper classes on D are devoid of talent, especially the Dline, where it matter most. (Attritiongate'13) Our most talented LB is a last second guy with no offers. He's the only senior, no other seniors or juniors to speak of. How does that happen?

Keshun inexplicably dropped off the planet and Kallen was a roll of the dice that came up craps.

The most talented guys in that list are all young and have their best days ahead. The upper classes on D are devoid of talent, especially the Dline, where it matter most. (Attritiongate'13) Our most talented LB is a last second guy with no offers. He's the only senior, no other seniors or juniors to speak of. How does that happen?
I understand that, but I still believe they could perform better than they do. The results might be the same, but there is simply not adequate PERFORMANCE by many of them, and that falls to teaching and coaching.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I understand that, but I still believe they could perform better than they do. The results might be the same, but there is simply not adequate PERFORMANCE by many of them, and that falls to teaching and coaching.
That's why I've come around to the thinking that it's both talent deficiency and coaching deficiency. It's not either/or. Our talent is below par, I don't care what offers guys had. Seriously, you think our starters would start for anybody but the bottom dwellers of the conference?

That's why I've come around to the thinking that it's both talent deficiency and coaching deficiency. It's not either/or. Our talent is below par, I don't care what offers guys had. Seriously, you think our starters would start for anybody but the bottom dwellers of the conference?
Who knows whether they would or not with sufficient teaching and coaching. I would be willing to bet they would perform better for Tenuta, and I'm far from being a Tenuta fan

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not our D talent, sorry, wrong.

True story: At the beginning of the year CPJ said most of the NFL queries were for the players on the defensive side of the ball. That was in regard to a reporter asking if that side of the ball was not as talented as past defenses.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
That's your opinion and one that's a minority among fans.
Count me in the minority that thinks our talent and coaching are to blame. And I'll add my brother to that mix.

Our interior DL are the size of DEs, our DEs are the size of OLBs and our only starting (non-rotating) MLB, PJ, is the size of a safety.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
08-09 & 14 teams were good.

Active Ex-Jacket NFL Players:
Player, Draft Year
Jerry Attaochu, 2014
Morgan Burnett, 2010
Adam Gotsis, 2015
Michael Johnson, 2009
Zach Laskey, Undrafted (2015)
Shaq Mason, 2015
Derrick Morgan, 2010
Daryl Smith, 2004
Demaryius Thomas, 2010
Vance Walker, 2009
Darren Waller, 2015
Philip Wheeler, 2008
D.J. White, 2015

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just note how many ACC bottom dwellers have done better defensively than we have against common opponents (you can go look this stuff up yourselves).

I am not a smart enough football guy to know if it is talent of coaching, but I strongly suspect our recruiting has been no worse than Wake Forest or Boston College or Virginia. Yet our results have been.

I do believe we have a talent gap. I suspect strongly our coaching makes that gap much worse.

I just note how many ACC bottom dwellers have done better defensively than we have against common opponents (you can go look this stuff up yourselves).

I am not a smart enough football guy to know if it is talent of coaching, but I strongly suspect our recruiting has been no worse than Wake Forest or Boston College or Virginia. Yet our results have been.

I do believe we have a talent gap. I suspect strongly our coaching makes that gap much worse.
UVA has out recruited us according to recruiting services. They are one of biggest mysteries in the conference.