UNC (le)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have to agree. I've always considered our beesball as the part of the 3 sports in our men's program. While our basketball program was regressing, I thought beesball could take that spot.:muted::jimlad:

As far as other obligations; I will try to do my best to follow any GT sports game when it present's itself without a conflict to my fun or business. :peeking:

Will say, it does take a special person to stick with us (Alumni or sidewalk fan):greyalien::couchpotato: #GoJackets(y)

GT baseball is my second sport after football. After last year's football, I was hoping it could take the place of football till fall. Not so now; the next really interesting event will be the MLB draft. That could set us up well for next year; or completely deplete our roster. I don't focus on things that aren't enjoyable (to me). And right now this season isn't enjoyable. :banghead:

But we'll be better next year. {: pray}

Mbob put what he expected on the table for Gregory, why has be not done the same with Danny Hall? Produce at a certain level or you're gone. Baseball has a richer tradition at Tech than basketball. Yet the two coaches are treated differently. I'm tired of waiting for next year to never come.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Mbob put what he expected on the table for Gregory, why has be not done the same with Danny Hall? Produce at a certain level or you're gone. Baseball has a richer tradition at Tech than basketball. Yet the two coaches are treated differently. I'm tired of waiting for next year to never come.

You forget that Coach Hall has the highest winning % than any other coach we have.

Anyway, today's line up and the 28th different lineup for us. First start for Grant Wruble
CgQNh4lWwAUgwY5.jpg

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
You forget that Coach Hall has the highest winning % than any other coach we have.

That's dumb. Hall gets to play flimsy non conference opponents (approximately 50% of the baseball schedule is non-con, and year in year out, every non con opponent is an inferior program, depending on what you think about the 3 UGA games) at a much higher rate than Paul Johnson, who only gets to play 2 or 3 easy non conference games per year. And then all the more systematic disadvantages we all know.

Basketball has a similar non-conference rate, but we are much more systematically overmatched in basketball than baseball, between Lousville/Syracuse/UNC bagmen, fake UNC classes, insufficient funds due to previous bad hires, shady AAU recruiting, etc. Baseball has none of those disadvantages and in fact has some special advantages: baseball players are more likely to care about educational quality than pro factory status, the truly elite players all go pro so baseball is a much more amateur game, partial scholarship limits make GT financially attractive for the players from Atlanta baseball hotbeds, and so on. And yet Hall can barely be competitive enough to squeak into the tournament more often than not.

It's not enough that baseball has the highest winning percentage of the three sports, that's a baseline 'duh' expectation. It should substantially outperform football and basketball and be nationally competitive on a regular basis.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's dumb. Hall gets to play flimsy non conference opponents (approximately 50% of the baseball schedule is non-con, and year in year out, every non con opponent is an inferior program, depending on what you think about the 3 UGA games) at a much higher rate than Paul Johnson, who only gets to play 2 or 3 easy non conference games per year. And then all the more systematic disadvantages we all know.

Basketball has a similar non-conference rate, but we are much more systematically overmatched in basketball than baseball, between Lousville/Syracuse/UNC bagmen, fake UNC classes, insufficient funds due to previous bad hires, shady AAU recruiting, etc. Baseball has none of those disadvantages and in fact has some special advantages: baseball players are more likely to care about educational quality than pro factory status, the truly elite players all go pro so baseball is a much more amateur game, partial scholarship limits make GT financially attractive for the players from Atlanta baseball hotbeds, and so on. And yet Hall can barely be competitive enough to squeak into the tournament more often than not.

It's not enough that baseball has the highest winning percentage of the three sports, that's a baseline 'duh' expectation. It should substantially outperform football and basketball and be nationally competitive on a regular basis.

Considering only baseball, Hall has the highest wining percentage and most wins of any GT coach. Of course, that doesn't mean a lot since GT baseball generally sucked until Luck started building up the program and then Morris took over in 1982.

The only GT coaches who have ever had a higher winning percentage is Heisman and Dodd (both were baseball coaches too, but that was a part time endeavor to provide conditioning for football).

You are right that baseball should be much easier for GT to recruit given the more academically inclined baseball players seem to be. (That is an opinion on my part.) That is probably why we recruit so much better on a relative basis in baseball than football or basketball. So we should, and do in fact do better in baseball.

My gripes with Hall are that 1) he seems to play seniors more than their statistics would warrant. I think Hall is trying to give the players the best chance to make the majors. And 2) he doesn't do better getting to the NCAAs and once there we usually don't do that well.

Bobinski won't mess with Hall for several reasons. First, very few alum care about baseball. Second, no money in baseball from the gates or TV. Third, Bobinski is up to his *** in other problems. There is no upside for Bobinski overall to mess with Hall and the program. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I sure wouldn't mess with Hall until he wants to go. And I would want a list from Hall as to who should replace him. When the time comes, we'll be able to get an elite coach given our program.

Back to the game, Pitts is settling in. After raising many specters in my mind by walking the lead off batter and hitting the second, he has made it through 3 innings with no runs and a hit. We need to score. Gonzo's popup bunt in the second with two on and no outs was sickening. :banghead::mad::spitoutdummy:

Considering only baseball, Hall has the highest wining percentage and most wins of any GT coach. Of course, that doesn't mean a lot since GT baseball generally sucked until Luck started building up the program and then Morris took over in 1982.

The only GT coaches who have ever had a higher winning percentage is Heisman and Dodd (both were baseball coaches too, but that was a part time endeavor to provide conditioning for football).

You are right that baseball should be much easier for GT to recruit given the more academically inclined baseball players seem to be. (That is an opinion on my part.) That is probably why we recruit so much better on a relative basis in baseball than football or basketball. So we should, and do in fact do better in baseball.

My gripes with Hall are that 1) he seems to play seniors more than their statistics would warrant. I think Hall is trying to give the players the best chance to make the majors. And 2) he doesn't do better getting to the NCAAs and once there we usually don't do that well.

Bobinski won't mess with Hall for several reasons. First, very few alum care about baseball. Second, no money in baseball from the gates or TV. Third, Bobinski is up to his *** in other problems. There is no upside for Bobinski overall to mess with Hall and the program. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I sure wouldn't mess with Hall until he wants to go. And I would want a list from Hall as to who should replace him. When the time comes, we'll be able to get an elite coach given our program.

Back to the game, Pitts is settling in. After raising many specters in my mind by walking the lead off batter and hitting the second, he has made it through 3 innings with no runs and a hit. We need to score. Gonzo's popup bunt in the second with two on and no outs was sickening. :banghead::mad::spitoutdummy:
That's what clemson people said and they canned Leggett and they are better off for it. We shouldn't be afraid of the unknown. Tech would attract some big time coaches.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
That's what clemson people said and they canned Leggett and they are better off for it. We shouldn't be afraid of the unknown. Tech would attract some big time coaches.

Can't argue about the Clemson hire. They got a good coach and I agree that we should be able to attract a big time coach as well. It shouldn't be like we went through with basketball.

B4 5-4 State