UNC (le)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
16-7. If that's what it takes. Ended the game appropriately on a DP.

End up at one under 500 in ACC play. Can still make the ACC tourney, but next up Clemson, Miami and UVa. Then BC. It'll probably come down to having to get a sweep of BC to make the ACC play off game........ just good enough to break your heart. But a good win today to avoid the sweep.

Two mid week games (M,W) could deplete our pitching for @ Clemson.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's what clemson people said and they canned Leggett and they are better off for it.
Are they better off? Clemson is 8-9 in ACC play going into today. I really don't know. And think it will take a few years to know for sure. But Leggett seemed (sounded) a lot older than Hall seems to in interviews.

[/QUOTE]We shouldn't be afraid of the unknown. [/QUOTE] I'm not. But for me to make a change, there needs to be a good probability that we will come out better. And there has to be a cause to get rid of the guy coaching. Although I'm very frustrated with what could have been this year, I think the loss of pitchers (King, Hughes and to a certain degree English) is what has us in this mess. Using this last series as an example, I think we easily win the series with a 100% King and Hughes. Maybe even sweep.

But I agree that given the number of years we have been weak in pitching, that I can't blame it on bad luck every year. I "think" Hall used to not recruit enough pitchers. But we have been recruiting them in droves (18 different pitchers this year). Maybe the problem is with the pitching coach ..... but that is still on Hall after all these years. But I have no basis to evaluate the pitching coach other than the lack of results. And I sure can't explain Zac's regression this year? Good coaching to start and then bad??

[/QUOTE]Tech would attract some big time coaches.[/QUOTE] Agree entirely.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="GTNavyNuke, post: 222690, member: 322

I sure wouldn't mess with Hall until he wants to go. And I would want a list from Hall as to who should replace him. When the time comes, we'll be able to get an elite coach given our pr. :banghead::mad::spitoutdummy:[/QUOTE]

Why get a list from Hall? He can't recognize good assistant coaches or players.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Very intelligent to call someone that. If you don't like my post..don't reply by saying that or just don't post at all. Thanks, have a great Sunday

Thanks for your updates, stinger.
Fwiw, it's probably not worth getting bothered by opinions about opinions. He at least gave a rationale for what he said.

But then again I like discussing strengths and weaknesses of opinions.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for your updates, stinger.
Fwiw, it's probably not worth getting bothered by opinions about opinions. He at least gave a rationale for what he said.

But then again I like discussing strengths and weaknesses of opinions.

Agree, he did after that and had some good points. But could've been better discussing one's opinion without posting "That's dumb". I've never read any of your posts when not agreeing with someone saying that.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
Very intelligent to call someone that. If you don't like my post..don't reply by saying that or just don't post at all. Thanks, have a great Sunday

Equating winning percentages between the coaches of wildly divergent sports at GT (football, basketball, and baseball) in the manner you did as support for Hall struck me as very poor logic, the 3 sports are apples, oranges, and bananas and cannot be compared. Going .500 or better in football every single year at GT is not a given that any baseline level coach could do- going .600 in baseball is, so I don't see why Hall gets brownie points for having 33-22 type seasons in a cupcake-laden college baseball schedule that end in a 2 seed and loss in a regional when it's pretty obvious any coach could do that with the kind of baseball talent there is in Georgia.

If you were that offended by my PG 'that's dumb' opening line, you might consider traveling to the more unregulated corners of the internet to see what actual hostility and insultingness is.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Equating winning percentages between the coaches of wildly divergent sports at GT (football, basketball, and baseball) in the manner you did as support for Hall struck me as very poor logic, the 3 sports are apples, oranges, and bananas and cannot be compared. Going .500 or better in football every single year at GT is not a given that any baseline level coach could do- going .600 in baseball is, so I don't see why Hall gets brownie points for having 33-22 type seasons in a cupcake-laden college baseball schedule that end in a 2 seed and loss in a regional when it's pretty obvious any coach could do that with the kind of baseball talent there is in Georgia.

If you were that offended by my PG 'that's dumb' opening line, you might consider traveling to the more unregulated corners of the internet to see what actual hostility and insultingness is.

I have travel the corners. A ***** is a *****.(y)

Winning % are winning %. I know all sports are different weak or strong.

You hate our coach, I get that. Quit being an analytical Richard and get off your high horse.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

True to some extent, but in football we play 1-2 cupcakes many years (8-15%) (I wish we had last year!) And in basketball we play lots of cupcakes at the beginning of the season.

But back to college baseball. Of all active coaches, Hall is the 11th most winning percentage active coach. All the ACC & SEC programs play a lot ofcupcakes OOC. And with 300 teams being ranked, there are a lot of cupcakes to play. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_RB/2015/coach.pdf

5 of the coaches ahead of Hall are in the ACC, largely because of the recruiting advantage you referred to and they are good coaches too.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
1- good to get back on track with the bats today.

2- remember the the Buffalo Bills sucked because they were only good enough to GET TO the Super Bowl... (tic)
CDHs results would not be easy to duplicate, especially in the ACC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I must admit I have serious concerns about our program. Mostly because I just don't see progress.

Baseball is all about pitching...consistently winning baseball, that is. Good pitching always beats good hitting, that's a baseball axiom, and since they changed the bats on college baseball, that is now true there as well. But Hall hasn't adapted. I believe he has tried, but our pitching (and I am sure all of you who bother not here boards know this) SUCKS. iF we go the rest of the yea needing to score in double digits to win ACC ball games (and it looks like we will outside of Gol'd starts) then I suspect we are in danger if missing the ACC Tourney. I still predict 2-7 in the next three series, which will leave us at 6 games below 0.500 in league play and at serious risk.

But in spite of recruiting all these supposedly talented arms, we give up 10 runs a game to ACC foes. Yes, I know we have lost Hughes, and King, and English isn't pitching this year.....and we would be better with them on the hill, no doubt. But the rest of this staff seems to be regressing. Delaney has been hit hard, VERY hard in 3 of his last 4 outings....Zack Ryan seems a shadow of his form from last year...guys like Gavreau and Gibson really haven't done much when facing live bullets......outside of Gorst and Gold, we are somewhat anemic. Pitts never improves, Parr is the same year after year.....no one ever seems to get better at GT on the mound......

We are about at the level of Virginia Tech right now...maybe a little better. And yet we have talent that should be in the Top 20.....I am extremely disturbed by the last two years' results for a once proud program. Whether it si that we are recruiting the wrong kids, or coaching them poorly, we simply don't see guys getting better in our program...especially..ESPECIALLY pitchers.....

Like AE 87 said in an earlier post, I have chosen not to invest for the rest of this year as I think I see the handwriting on the wall and have found some of the performances simply unacceptable.

I would so love to be proven totally wrong, because I was so ready to believe early in the year...