UNC (le)

tech baseball burns me every year. I am a all day sucker at the beginning of every year and then good old danny rips out my guts. Time for a change and I know it will not happen, so I have some how convinced myself to not care anymore. If they win great, but I don't expect wins anymore like I used to. When did NC state get better than us? When did Duke be just as good as us? When did Pitt catch us? When was the last time we were dominant? My memory is failing me, sorry.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You trying to tell us that GT Baseball is the equivalent of Mutt football? Lots of pre-season National Championship trophies in the trophy case?

That's a bad comparison. No one who covers or follows the sport outside of GT thought we were going to make much noise this year. Nobody was hyping us. We have a predominantly freshman pitching staff. That's not a recipe for immediate success. The only pre-season hype came from fans who started doing keg stands of kool-aid after reading too much into pre-season reports and a hot start against inferior competition. I'd say we're in the hangover period right now.

That being said the guys who cover college baseball seem to be higher on the team than our fans currently are. The team's not too far from where I thought they'd be at this point.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
How many years in a row can the we're young excuse be used before it doesn't hold water anymore?

If you're referring to me you're asking the wrong guy because I haven't used it before this year. The issue you'd hear me cite the past couple years wasn't youth but injuries and related depth issues. I wrote a novel about it at the end of last season. To be honest I don't really remember the youth excuse getting thrown around all that much but I'd disagree with anyone that cited that as an issue the past few seasons. At least when it comes to the pitching staff.

I do think it holds water this year for this year's pitchers. So I think @awbuzz is on to something. Maybe one more?

Last edited:

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The problem with this team is the loss of three of our top four starting pitchers, King, Hughes, and English. English is playing, but has not pitched, and he was supposed to be our best freshman pitcher. Hughes was a 2nd round MLB selection, and he is out after elbow surgery. Then there is Ryan, suspended for the first 20% of the season (see Darren Waller), and an absolute disaster, after being rated a pre-season All-American.These things are not CDH's fault.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this team is the loss of three of our top four starting pitchers, King, Hughes, and English. English is playing, but has not pitched, and he was supposed to be our best freshman pitcher. Hughes was a 2nd round MLB selection, and he is out after elbow surgery. Then there is Ryan, suspended for the first 20% of the season (see Darren Waller), and an absolute disaster, after being rated a pre-season All-American.These things are not CDH's fault.

Wait did Hughes actually have surgery?

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Wait did Hughes actually have surgery?
Yes, Dr Andrews operated on his elbow about ten days ago. He dressed out this past weekend, and had a small patch in his elbow. It was not Tommy John, but he can't pitch for at least six months. I had a hip replacement and only had a four inch incision, you can't judge the seriousness of a surgery by the size of the incision.