ultimate disrespect

Congrats! You're number two to go on ignore!

The other is our resident fashionista. I actually went to the vandy game in a blue shirt(powder blue to be exact!) and to my surprise I didn't spontaneously combust! I flew back from my home in Jackson hole and I planned on grabbing a shirt before the game but didn't have time. Grabbed a nice vintage gold one after the game but guess what?! It's a dang white out Thursday! I'm screwed!!!
I assume that swipe was meant for me, and, since you said you have me on ignore, you won't see this. But if you resent someone who thinks part of showing support for a team is by wearing the official colors, then it's a good thing you're not a mutt fan or a Clemson fan, because you would stick out like a sore thumb. If you think I am a fashionista, then I wear that badge with pride.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
People get mad because we force them do defend their knees a little more than other opponents. It just prevents them from playing D the way they want to. That is the root of their anger, not that they have to get lucky to avoid injury. Defenders don't like having to bring their hands down.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
People get mad because we force them do defend their knees a little more than other opponents. It just prevents them from playing D the way they want to. That is the root of their anger, not that they have to get lucky to avoid injury. Defenders don't like having to bring their hands down.

Anytime the issue of injuries and the GT blocking techniques come up, many in our fan base work hard to disprove this with facts, logic, analysis, etc. I say why bother? If the myth persists, it can only work to our advantage. I want the D players to be more worried about their pro careers than their assignments. Look out knees and ACL's - here we come baby.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We don't force defenders to protect their knees any more than other teams do. I think the difference is that you'll see skill guys cutting in our offense, where that's more unusual in open space with other teams. Bottom line is that we have fewer chop block penalties than just about any other team. The narrative coaches have used to try to sway officials has to do with their DB's getting cut by the OLine, not their DL.

By the way, this is an old, very sad narrative that shows ignorance of how the game is played. Unfortunately for you @Accmnni1, your comment just cost you any credibility you may have had coming onto this Board. The fonts here are way too knowledgeable about how the game of football is played to even engage in this conversation. Hence the actual lack of response to your drivel.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I won't claim to have seen every single play, but I've watched most games since CPJ started in '08 and the first time I've seen a defender have to go to the sideline as a direct result of a cut block was this past Saturday. I think it was #52 from Vandy and he wasn't out long.
Someone playing in one of the early cupcake games about 4 years ago (I can't recall which team but their colors were similar to Boston College...Elon maybe?) went out early in the game and I don't think he returned to the game.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
GT hasn't injured a single lineman with cut blocks. One gruesome injury I can remember was to a U Maryland DL and it was from a normal block, not a cut or chop. It's completely legal and even Clemson does it REGULARLY. Watch your guards on any given play. Unless they are pass protecting and only assigned to one guy they are likely going to cut someone. Because we actually teach it and are good at it makes us safer at it. We actually get penalized least in the ACC for illegal chop penalties. I can't find the source but there's a reason coaches don't really complain about it anymore. The complaint is rooted in fiction
Incorrect, sir. See my reply to bass ackwards.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Listening to Kahuna here in the Charleston area driving home from work. One fan called in and said that Clemson was going to win big because "they've been talking so much trash over there at Tech this week." Went on to say "they've already been threatening to take out Ben Boulware's knees."

Did I miss something or do people actually just make stuff up like this hoping to motivate the team? Or is he just hearing fans talking?

That was me in a Twitter war with some of there idiot fans. There was an article where he was saying how much he was looking forward to playing against us, and I made a pun about him being a cheap shot artist because of him posing over Justin Thomas with his comment "my bad Justin" (cheap shot was referencing the photo and poor sportsmanship) and that he was providing bulletin-board material for the Jackets and I hope he had his head on a swivel as I was sure our Offensive Linemen, RB's, and WR's had seen it and he painted a bullseye on his back.

Well it was like the floodgates let loose saying somebody who supports a team that chopblocks would dare say something like that. I was really funny. It didn't help explaining the difference between cut blocks and chop blocks, they cited an article about our game against Vandy that the Vandy writer said we had 2 chop blocks and said we're a dirty team. They then asked whether I wanted to see him get hurt or not, and that's when I got mad.

I told them I Lettered 3 years with Tech's Football Team and actually blew MY knew out, and wouldn't want that on anybody, and never suggested that I wanted anyone get injured. That pretty much shut them up.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a given when you play GT that they are going to chop block and go straight at your knees. It's just a fact. GTs offensive line is coached to cut block and dive at the defenders knees. I don't know of anyone claiming that some players are stating that they are going to try and take a guy out, but by the nature of the way they are coached to block, it's bound to happen. Death, taxes, and GT diving at people's knees, all a given. Everyone that plays them knows what's coming, you just cross your fingers and hope you get lucky.[/QUOTE
ok3.gif

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Incorrect, sir. See my reply to bass ackwards.
If you're thinking of the early game 4 years ago it was the UMD lineman I was referring to. The guy was stood up and going backwards when one of his teammates fell on the back of his calf pinning it to the ground while he kept going backwards. It was pretty gross but the argument isn't if being a lineman is dangerous. I'm willing to concede we have injured a player before by a chop block. It's illegal for a reason and sometimes we screw up, but I can't remember it and don't remember it being a big deal at the time it happened. Now the UMD guy... ugh

Acmnni1

Georgia Tech Fan
I played against GT 4 times. They will be diving at your knees (cut blocking) for 4 quarters and there will be chop blocks (being cut by one man while another hits you high). It's going to happen. I didn't say the chop blocks would be intentional, although that certainly happens, but with that much congestion on the LOS and all of the looping and stunting, it will happen. Everyone that plays them knows it. That's all I said.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I played against GT 4 times. They will be diving at your knees (cut blocking) for 4 quarters and there will be chop blocks (being cut by one man while another hits you high). It's going to happen. I didn't say the chop blocks would be intentional, although that certainly happens, but with that much congestion on the LOS and all of the looping and stunting, it will happen. Everyone that plays them knows it. That's all I said.
Who did you play for?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, on the same token, some DC's instruct their DL to engage high our OL who are trying to get to the next level, knowing that our scheme has them getting scooped. In other words, they're putting their DL at risk in order to draw a chop-block call. It happens. Just saying.