ultimate disrespect

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I played against GT 4 times. They will be diving at your knees (cut blocking) for 4 quarters and there will be chop blocks (being cut by one man while another hits you high). It's going to happen. I didn't say the chop blocks would be intentional, although that certainly happens, but with that much congestion on the LOS and all of the looping and stunting, it will happen. Everyone that plays them knows it. That's all I said.
Fair enough. I think people are taking exception to the "cross your fingers and hope you get lucky" that you don't get hurt comment. I think there are enough data points to conclude that lineman are not more likely to be injured defending against option heavy offenses that cut more like GT runs vs others. The facts just don't support that you will.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If you're thinking of the early game 4 years ago it was the UMD lineman I was referring to. The guy was stood up and going backwards when one of his teammates fell on the back of his calf pinning it to the ground while he kept going backwards. It was pretty gross but the argument isn't if being a lineman is dangerous. I'm willing to concede we have injured a player before by a chop block. It's illegal for a reason and sometimes we screw up, but I can't remember it and don't remember it being a big deal at the time it happened. Now the UMD guy... ugh
UMD...Maryland?
I'm referring to an early in the year game...a cupcake...and may have been Elon. We cut a guy who was cutting across the face of one of our linemen to hit the gap and our guy made glancing blow contact at the other guy's right knee. The other guy left the game hobbling with the aid of their trainers and I don't think he came back in the game.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It's a given when you play GT that they are going to chop block and go straight at your knees. It's just a fact. GTs offensive line is coached to cut block and dive at the defenders knees. I don't know of anyone claiming that some players are stating that they are going to try and take a guy out, but by the nature of the way they are coached to block, it's bound to happen. Death, taxes, and GT diving at people's knees, all a given. Everyone that plays them knows what's coming, you just cross your fingers and hope you get lucky.[/QUOTE

This guy just lost all credibility !! ... I'm only responding to stand up for the integrity of our players, coaches and program overall ... this guy should be banned.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Having played in an era when OL blocking was cut blocking, I've always found this line of criticism a bit silly.

If you want to see some cut blocking at a level of expertise and effectiveness that makes Tech look like amateurs, dial up a film of the first Orange Bowl game between Bama and Nebraska. The Huskers outweighed the Tide by almost 50 lbs a man in the OL v. DL weights. Bama cut them (no pun intended) to pieces. That Bama team was the outfit where Cecil Dowdy was an all-American OT at 6'1", 215. When I was playing ball, blocking like that was the gold standard and everyone did it. (Mind, I hated Bama then and I hate them now; this is a technical point.)

Nowadays, it's different, mainly because they changed the rules to allow blatant holding - shoot, tackling - by OLs. We do plenty of that, but we also cut block more then most teams. So what?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina sportswriter Kevin Mccreary which hosts a state wide sports talk show on his radio show tonight said Quote "Bank on it If I were you I would Bet your mortgage and your children's college education that Clemson is going to blow out GT ; He host the south Carolina sports radio network show, which is every night throughout the state
How 'bout that? Another "without a doubt" win? I notice he is saying you should bet the mortgage, not that he would bet the mortgage. Another one of those hate-big-government guys except when it's his big government. Seriously, he has a tough job, as do sports columnists. You got to have an opinion on every thing even when you don't have an opinion on everything.