uGag Series

Deleted member 2897

Well that sucks. 13 hits to 6. All we can do is outplay them. Just that one big awful 5 run inning where we gave them a bunch of free runs off a HR and a couple blunders on our part. We had ‘em.

This reminds me of the UCLA series last year - we proved we belong and are a top flight team.

Deleted member 2897

BTW if anybody didn’t watch - we lost 6-5. 5 of the 6 runs we gave up were unearned. Missed opportunity.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
BTW if anybody didn’t watch - we lost 6-5. 5 of the 6 runs we gave up were unearned. Missed opportunity.

Had our chances. 5 BB, 3 HBP by our pitching staff. 2 Errors, one of which was very costly. A bad situational base running mistake by an experienced player, who also happens to be a coaches son, in the 9th.

Played well against a really good team, but can't make those mistakes and expect to win.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
No arguing with any of that. But I like to think it means the ceiling for this team is a lot higher. Pitchers can hopefully get used to pressure games. The base running mistake is unlikely to be repeated.

The most worrisome part to me is not putting balls in play with runners in scoring position. That seems like the least correctable thing, but I guess it wasn't repeated by too many batters.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't feel good about the loss, but I definitely feel better about this team now. Even if we lose this series, we are going to have another big year.
I think I am with you. This was one that really got away. The good news...all signs point to Ga Tech being in good shape tomorrow & Sunday, relatively. Archer & Bartnicki both fresh is good. Home game tomorrow is good.

Need to go out and execute! Go 1-0.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Team that makes fewest mistakes usually wins. That’s what happened to us tonight. Pitching gave up too many free base runners on walks and HBP, baserunning error, fielding error.....we lost. Play clean tomorrow and we’ll win.

Deleted member 2897

ALL 9 Tech [starting] batters got at least 1 hit tonight. Usually teams win when that happens.

Also... it appears scorer changed the error in B5 on Compton to a hit. Makes all 5 runs earned for UGA in 5th.

Wow - after the game was over there was a change resulting in 5 earned runs. There’s a new one.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not sure who said it originally, but baseball is a game of inches.

Baron makes a sliding catch, and nearly avoids a collision.
Hall gets picked off, knowing that’s the last thing you want when your run isn’t the tying one as already in scoring position-being the leadoff man in the ninth.
A couple of errors and walks, giving extra outs. In a one-run game, you can find a break here or there to change the score.

Look at it this way. Mutts had their home game with their best hurler now burned.
The next two are ours. Hoping the crowd in Gwinnett tilts more in our favor. It will be the largest of the three game series.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yesterday’s loss was nauseating. Missed the first 3 innings and was pleased to have not missed anything, but was confused that the mutt had 5 LOB and no runs yet only 2 walks and we had no errors. 3 HBPs?

We go up 1-0, feeling good. See them get 2 men on, 1 by an error and have to walk away. Come back & we’re down 5-1. WTF?

The 9th inning baserunning blunder falls into the WTF category too. C’mon man, have some SA. Hard to tell if that cost us the game. Maybe mutt has relievers warming up if we’re 1st & 2nd, no men out instead of what transpired, but you cannot do that with the game on the line.

Let’s win game 2 tonight and take this thing Sunday. I hate the mutt.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of positives to take out of last night. Played the #4 team in the country, who is traditionally tough to beat at home. Faced what many call the best pitcher in college ball, hung 4 on him, and could have had more. Hughes pitched well overall, despite the final line. So did Crawford and Chapman. Fought back against a tough team on the road after getting down 5-1, and had our shot at the end. Need Roedig to progress from last weekend like he did from week 1 to week 2 and win today.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Last night was as competitive of a game that I could ask for. The ball didnt bounce our way in a few places, but it was good for our young guys to see an MLB pitcher. I stand by the theory that if that is their best man, we are the better team.