uGag, Baseball

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
No and that’s ridiculous to even say. How many supers has Clemson been to since they fired Leggett? Zero

How many supers has Miami been to since Jim Morris retired? Zero

How many supers has UGA been to since they fired Perno? Zero. And Perno doesn’t hold a candle to Danny Hall

All of those teams are incredibly talented, with rich histories, yet they haven’t equaled or succeeded what their most recent coaches had done. In Miami and Clemson’s cases those coaches were legends akin to DH.

Winning in the postseason in baseball is not easy. Especially not in the format college baseball uses. Have we had enough talent to get to Omaha since 2006? Yeah, definitely. I think we’ve put at least one guy in the big leagues for every 4 year class cycle since DH has been here. But there are teams with future big leaguers on them every year who don’t get out of their own regional. See: Clemson, Miami, UGA, and countless other examples.

In baseball all you can do is get yourself into the postseason. Winning in the postseason equates to nothing more than a stroke of luck and being hot at the right time. Since 1969, only 13 MLB teams with the best regular season record have won the World Series that year. Last year the Phillies had the second-worst record of any team in the playoffs and made the WS. Winning in the playoffs is just dumb luck, and GT hasn’t found any in a long time. It doesn’t help us ton when we tend to get matched up in much tougher regionals than the average P5 team too.

Our last 3 regionals on the road have been: #1 Tennessee 2022, #4 Vandy 2021, #2 Florida 2016

Is there more success to be had for GT baseball than what we’ve seen? Yes. Is Danny Hall to blame for our postseason mishaps? No. That’s just baseball.
LOL!

Wait, did you just use post Jim Morris Miami as an example. The coach has been there three plus seasons and is 61-37 in conference during that time and has never finished lower than 2nd in the Coastal. Great example.

Post Leggett Clemson is another great one. They fired their coach for not making the CWS. Yes, let's use them as an example.

You are comedy gold

You know what is ridiculous? To suggest that 16 years of failure, yes failure, is merely the result of bad luck. That somehow our manager has zero agency or responsibility for the results. That the scores of teams that have won a regional in the past 16 years were just luckier than us. That is ridiculous

How about winning more games in the regular season so we do not get so many bad draws on the road? How about winning the regionals when we host and are a top national seed? How about not imploding every frigin CWS since 2006?

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No and that’s ridiculous to even say. How many supers has Clemson been to since they fired Leggett? Zero

How many supers has Miami been to since Jim Morris retired? Zero

How many supers has UGA been to since they fired Perno? Zero. And Perno doesn’t hold a candle to Danny Hall

All of those teams are incredibly talented, with rich histories, yet they haven’t equaled or succeeded what their most recent coaches had done. In Miami and Clemson’s cases those coaches were legends akin to DH.

Winning in the postseason in baseball is not easy. Especially not in the format college baseball uses. Have we had enough talent to get to Omaha since 2006? Yeah, definitely. I think we’ve put at least one guy in the big leagues for every 4 year class cycle since DH has been here. But there are teams with future big leaguers on them every year who don’t get out of their own regional. See: Clemson, Miami, UGA, and countless other examples.

In baseball all you can do is get yourself into the postseason. Winning in the postseason equates to nothing more than a stroke of luck and being hot at the right time. Since 1969, only 13 MLB teams with the best regular season record have won the World Series that year. Last year the Phillies had the second-worst record of any team in the playoffs and made the WS. Winning in the playoffs is just dumb luck, and GT hasn’t found any in a long time. It doesn’t help us ton when we tend to get matched up in much tougher regionals than the average P5 team too.

Our last 3 regionals on the road have been: #1 Tennessee 2022, #4 Vandy 2021, #2 Florida 2016

Is there more success to be had for GT baseball than what we’ve seen? Yes. Is Danny Hall to blame for our postseason mishaps? No. That’s just baseball.
You're spot on. Thank you.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL!

Wait, did you just use post Jim Morris Miami as an example. The coach has been there three plus seasons and is 61-37 in conference during that time and has never finished lower than 2nd in the Coastal. Great example.

Post Leggett Clemson is another great one. They fired their coach for not making the CWS. Yes, let's use them as an example.

You are comedy gold

You know what is ridiculous? To suggest that 16 years of failure, yes failure, is merely the result of bad luck. That somehow our manager has zero agency or responsibility for the results. That the scores of teams that have won a regional in the past 16 years were just luckier than us. That is ridiculous
Oooops. Nm

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Let me add Monte Lee had a better record at Clemson than Danny Hall has had since 2016. Plus he won a conference championship in his first season and still was fired

Last edited:

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Guess I will take 1-2 given the alternative entering today. Starting pitching has to get better. Sometimes bats slump, but our pitching never gave us a chance until today.
Yes, bats slump. Sometimes pitching is ineffective. Tech had multiple GOLDEN opportunities to score runs in the first 2 to 3 innings in the first 2 games and failed. The defense did not help, but was not the sole issue. The issue in the first 2 games was a lack of hitting in critical situations, and poor execution both pitching and defensively. When you're not getting the job done in all 3 phases of the game, you're not likely to win.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we take a look for a second at the unbelievably dominant performances the three pitchers from today have thrown down this season so far? Combined: 40.1 innings, 50ks, 3 earned runs, 3 extra base hits, 8 BBs, and a 0.67 combined ERA. I don't think it gets any better than that.

If we are going to slam CDB for the poor performances, then we should be just as ready to heap praise for coaching up two players coming off long Tommy Johns recoveries and a Juco transfer. Right?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You're also defending (I think) Monte Lee's record. He was a terrible follow on to Jack Leggett. Clemson is still lost.
I am not defending Lee's record. I am comparing it to Hall's record over the same period. Clemson fired Lee despite outperforming Hall over the same period. If we use Clemson as an example, then we should have fired Hall, who is 96-94 in conference since 2016.

If we agree that Lee was bad and should have been fired, then why are you surprised that Clemson is still lost in the fist month of a new coach?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad we won. Lost the series but at least no sweep. These guys don't give up. No errors and 2 DPs that shortened the game.

Offense is MIA going 1-12 RISP and like 4 for 37 all weekend. That's what happens when you see better pitching and have some bad luck.

Our team ERA is 6.34 and I think the worst in the ACC. But today was a 1.0 which is what we needed. Yes we have some pitching bright spots but are going to have to try some other guys as starter.

Hall is here for the rest of the season. Not that it matters or I can do anything about it but I've made up my mind on Hall.
1) we recruit well under Hall,
2) we get guys drafted under Hall (which helps recruiting),
3) we are bad in post season not advancing the last 11 times we went to the NCAAs since 2008 (4 times host and hosts usually advance),
4) we play below our recruited talent and most importantly
5) I think we'll have a great future when Hall is gone.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not defending Lee's record. I am comparing it to Hall's record over the same period. Clemson fired Lee despite outperforming Hall over the same period. If we use Clemson as an example, then we should have fired Hall, who is 96-94 in conference since 2016.

If we agree that Lee was bad and should have been fired, then why are you surprised that Clemson is still lost in the fist month of a new coach?
If winning % is your only metric?

My opinion is Lee can't hold Hall's water no matter how you choose to slice up their records.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I really worry about Ramsey bailing to take another HC job - from what I gather, he got a lot of calls in the off-season. CDH needs to go ahead and announce his retirement during or immediately at end of season and Batt hand it over to Ramsey. And hopefully there’s minimal or no buyout on Borrell’s extension - assume Ramsey would bring in his own guys.
For all we know he has done so. The fact that us fans are not aware of his plans does not mean that he has not informed Tech and his coaches what his plans are. CDH does not strike me as the kind of person that gives a damn what the fans think nor does he spend any time on social media (unlike another coach we had in another sport). He is just a good old school kind of coach that cares about his players. He is extremely well respected throughout both college and Major League Baseball for a reason.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Ramsey has to bear some responsibility for his time on the staff. He is not perfect.
Listen. You just don't get it. Everything good that happens is because of Ramsey. Everything else he has nothing to do with.

Was the offense good even before he got here? If he's such a slam dunk guaranteed multiple CWS coach why did his alma mater pass on him this past year when they were looking for a coach? Why did everyone else? What evidence is there that Ramsey is the guarantee some of our fans are absolutely convinced he is?

We don't ask these questions here. Just stfu and get onboard.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
The back end of our bullpen has been excellent so far this year. We haven't been able to say that for quite some time. So that is a positive. Our starting pitching has been suspect other than Finley but keep in mind we have two guys that may very well make up our weekend rotation later this year that are currently injured (McGuire and Hill). We have also been playing without three fourths of our starting infield since the first week of the season. Despite all of that we are still 10-2. Sure we had two bad games this weekend but some of you act like we won't win a game the rest of the year. I would venture to say that most every team in the country would suffer some if they lost more than a third of their starters. I still think we will see better performances from Schmolke and Samol before the year is over. They just have too much talent not to. We didn't throw in the towel after having two bad games and that says something. Unlike some of you I am more encouraged by our pitching staff than I have been in several years. Let's get our guys back from injury and then see where we are.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can we take a look for a second at the unbelievably dominant performances the three pitchers from today have thrown down this season so far? Combined: 40.1 innings, 50ks, 3 earned runs, 3 extra base hits, 8 BBs, and a 0.67 combined ERA. I don't think it gets any better than that.

If we are going to slam CDB for the poor performances, then we should be just as ready to heap praise for coaching up two players coming off long Tommy Johns recoveries and a Juco transfer. Right?
Don't make excuses...Busse actually WALKED someone today. I mean he literally WALKED a guy.

Outrageous.

Unacceptable.

Where was the infamous Danny Hall quick hook?

FCDH!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Winning, especially in the CWS, Is my primary metric of the success of a coach and a program. What other metrics should we be using?
Well. Coach Hall has an outstanding winning %. If you're only interested in discussing the last half of his tenure. Fair enough.

Multiple division titles. Multiple ACC championships. VERY few missed NCAA tourneys (12-ish appearances)

Nobody denies the lack of long runs in post-season.

But his career winning % stacks up pretty well against the field.