uGag, Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
20230304_125712.jpg

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Losing 75% of our starting infield certainly doesn't help. We definitely need Jackson and Compton to get better soon. The other night they said Compton took batting practice so that is good news. Big question is going to be what happens when Campbell gets back. Romano has looked too good to take out of the lineup and we can't put him at DH and lose Finley's bat unless he plays first and we take Geisler out of the lineup, put either Compton or Romano at third and the other does the DH thing. Either that or Romano stays at 2nd and Campbell sits but I'm not sure that's a good idea. After sitting out last year he needs to play.
I'm surprised that Campbell is still out. I don't know what his injury is, but I did see him take a rolling tumble after crossing the plate for the second time in the first inning on opening day. Don't know if he tripped over his own feet, or something else, but he was replaced by Senese at 2B to start the second inning after that. I believe we've been told that he's day to day since then. Two weeks of day to day means something more significant to me, but I'm not a medical doctor, so what do I know? To me, Compton's injury appeared more severe, as he pulled up between first and second while running out a double with what appeared to be a hamstring.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Siegal starts for Tech.

What could go wrong? But I don't have any better suggestions. The really tricky thing is how long to leave him in. If uGag is dealing and we get down 4, do you burn your pitchers who could win tomorrow?

There is something about us not having any longer relievers. Part of DBo's coaching / modifying pitchers mechanics signature? Let's just not talk about get old, stay old.

1677954879346.png

Big deal about this lineup is Geisler at 3rd and Finley at 1st. Good move for bats! And we will need runs today. Diamant doesn't hit or field well. He probably will later, just not now. I like this.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What could go wrong? But I don't have any better suggestions. The really tricky thing is how long to leave him in. If uGag is dealing and we get down 4, do you burn your pitchers who could win tomorrow?

There is something about us not having any longer relievers. Part of DBo's coaching / modifying pitchers mechanics signature? Let's just not talk about get old, stay old.

View attachment 14079

Big deal about this lineup is Geisler at 3rd and Finley at 1st. Good move for bats! And we will need runs today. Diamant doesn't hit or field well. He probably will later, just not now. I like this.
Historically... Hall puts a big emphasis on winning series. With a loss last night... I believe he will put everything into winning today & worry about tomorrow later. You can't overthink things too much. Keep it simple... go 1-0 today.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Historically... Hall puts a big emphasis on winning series. With a loss last night... I believe he will put everything into winning today & worry about tomorrow later. You can't overthink things too much. Keep it simple... go 1-0 today.

Yeah ok. uGag is probably a ~50 RPI team end of season. We aren't that good.

If we wanted to win today, have Finley pitch today. Staff day was not likely to do it and didn't. (T6 only down 9-2) I think what Hall did made sense since we are much more likely to win tomorrow than we would have been today against Sullivan.

We're probably a lower level to mid level ACC team and uGag is probably mid level SEC. Gonna be a long season unless we find two more good starters who can go 5-6 IP.

No reason to get upset (I know you aren't) about how a bunch of late teen, early 20 guys are playing.

Well finally got Sullivan out of the game (90 pitches) with a 3% chance to win.
1677963150518.png

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not as good as we had hoped this year. This series has become gut check time but seems to happen a lot in big games under Hall.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah ok. uGag is probably a ~50 RPI team end of season. We aren't that good.

If we wanted to win today, have Finley pitch today. Staff day was not likely to do it and didn't. (T6 only down 9-2) I think what Hall did made sense since we are much more likely to win tomorrow than we would have been today against Sullivan.

We're probably a lower level to mid level ACC team and uGag is probably mid level SEC. Gonna be a long season unless we find two more good starters who can go 5-6 IP.

No reason to get upset (I know you aren't) about how a bunch of late teen, early 20 guys are playing.

Well finally got Sullivan out of the game (90 pitches) with a 3% chance to win.
View attachment 14082
I would love to be a mid level ACC team this year. Not sure we can do that

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm not worried by one bad weekend. Yes, we absolutely need to figure out the rotation and fast, but I feel like we have 3 lock down guys in the pen in Busse, King, and Mannelly. We just need McGuire and Hill to get healthy because they could easily solidify the rotation.

And as for the offense, we still have 3 starters out. That was going to catch up with us against better pitching. So, in my opinion, we just need to get healthy. Yeah it absolutely sucks losing to ugag but we are still 9-2 and ACC play is more important.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not worried by one bad weekend. Yes, we absolutely need to figure out the rotation and fast, but I feel like we have 3 lock down guys in the pen in Busse, King, and Mannelly. We just need McGuire and Hill to get healthy because they could easily solidify the rotation.

And as for the offense, we still have 3 starters out. That was going to catch up with us against better pitching. So, in my opinion, we just need to get healthy. Yeah it absolutely sucks losing to ugag but we are still 9-2 and ACC play is more important.
Very good post. I think this is absolutely spot on.

This lineup badly needs Christian Campbell back in there at the top. If he is what I think he is, he will be on base disrupting pitchers concentration, and he will lengthen the lineup so much by allowing Deleo to slide down. I like Dispigna in the 2-hole and would slide Deleo into that 3-spot. I would then go with a 4-6 of Finley/Reid/Rubenstein. Once Compton returns the lineup really becomes deep, but to be honest I don't expect to see Compton until April. Hopefully I'm wrong, but hamstrings take time.

As to the pitching, Finley is the only legit start that I see. Dawson Brown has potential, but he is just very inconsistent. Just my own suspicions, which could be totally wrong, but I suspect that he has confidence issues and is unable to regroup when he hits a rough patch. I'm very worried that Logan McGuire will be on the shelf for a while. I think we need to look at Finateri and possibly King moved into a starting role. If Mannelly can continue pitching well, and Jackson Vaughn also, a pen of Brown on a short leash/Mannelly/Vaughn/Busse forms a good back-end. Cam Hill returning healthy is the wild-card there. That would be huge.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Campbell Compton Hill Jackson and McGuire are big pieces on this team. Relax y‘all beating the puppies would have been nice but the season starts next week. Full strength this team is going to be ok.

Very low odds that the team will ever be at "full" strength. Guys get hurt all the time (on all teams) so as guys come back others will get hurt. Just the way it is for everyone.

Also, the season has started and these games count. I think this series could really count for seeding if we are a "bubble" team or close to hosting due to the ACC/SEC nature; but that is somewhat discounted by being early in the season and would matter more in April.

But I agree with relax, there is little we can do about this except enjoy wherever the ride takes us. Maybe our pitching develops this year. That would be a pleasant surprise. Plus I think we'll see better defense once we get Campbell back too (although the "day for day" for three weeks is bothersome).

I think saving Finley for today is best when we are so short staffed starting pitching; it gives us the highest chance of getting at least one win. For RPI, a win counts the same any day. We have not been competitive in either game; that was epitomized by uGag's first batter drawing a 9 pitch walk yesterday due to great plate discipline and us only drawing only 8 pitches in the entire B1. They scored in 7 of 9 innings.