UGA recruiting article

Deleted member 2897

Jawja plays the team on the schedule take advantage and beat each team. They did that.

Right. Next year they scheduled Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State, and Massachusetts. They do this while knowing they play in the single weakest division in P5 football.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Right. Next year they scheduled Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State, and Massachusetts. They do this while knowing they play in the single weakest division in P5 football.

If it's not broke. Right now they can get away with it. It also means their fraction for error is lessened.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The more I read about burgeoning college football recruiting budgets; growth in staffs, including "grad assistants" (like UGA's Kevin Butler coming back to help with their kicker); volunteers; facilities expansion, etc., I am amazed that Tech has been even modesty competitive in recent years. That seems a testament to the efforts of our players and coaches. We are David to a UGA Goliath. We are in the middle echelon of FBS. TStan's mandate is probably to make sure we just don't drop below that level.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully this provides a blueprint for TStan and CPJ. Some of this is money, however a lot of this is organization, effort, and just freaking caring about recruiting. They have 9 paid staff - we’ll have 4, which is a start.

The constant contact/ personalized touch reminds me of a well-oiled Senate campaign. It’s not that hard to implement, it just requires people who care and are on top of their ****.

Deleted member 2897

Hopefully this provides a blueprint for TStan and CPJ. Some of this is money, however a lot of this is organization, effort, and just freaking caring about recruiting. They have 9 paid staff - we’ll have 4, which is a start.

The constant contact/ personalized touch reminds me of a well-oiled Senate campaign. It’s not that hard to implement, it just requires people who care and are on top of their ****.

Well, I think you mis-read the article. Kirby hired 9 NEW staff for this recruiting function, its not 9 total. In addition to the 9 NEW employees in recruiting that Kirby hired, "there's also a phalanx of more than 60 support staff". So that's 69 staff members just listed here. Then they have the entire football coaching/operations staff. So easily they are beyond 100+ staff covering football.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I think you mis-read the article. Kirby hired 9 NEW staff for this recruiting function, its not 9 total. In addition to the 9 NEW employees in recruiting that Kirby hired, "there's also a phalanx of more than 60 support staff". So that's 69 staff members just listed here. Then they have the entire football coaching/operations staff. So easily they are beyond 100+ staff covering football.

You’re right on that, I misread. Although, that 60 number includes what appears to be a significant number of interns and students. Could we find GT students for this?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They are in the arms race to out-recruit other factories like Bama, FSU, Miami and Clemson, not GT. We are in a totally separate (LOWER) league in recruiting. Unfortunately, we are in the same league for play. (P5)

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
We aren't going to out-factory the factories, so having 100+ people on staff wouldn't make sense for us (even if we could afford it). We have to be different and it sounds like the TStan initiative is a more national approach. That being said, we can & should emulate the effort, organization, & personalized touch.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Actually I think it means we'll have 8