UGA recruiting article

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing will happen to change P5 college athletics until the Presidents of these universities take control over their respective athletic departments. The athletic departments run the universities and the presidents know that athletic success brings in $ and improves the quality of student applicants. Our school is more interested in academic ranking than athletic ranking and that is the way it should be. I worked with a former Duke football player in the 70's and 80's. He felt that the Duke faculty was very content with just being competitive in sports. Winning half the games was sufficient. They got a taste of big time success with basketball and to some extent the Spurrier years in football changed things. They decided to focus on improving athletics and seem to be doing a pretty good job in several sports (lacrosse, soccer, golf, baseball, women's BB and football). They upped the donation goals led mostly by former football players. TStan seems to have started us in the right direction to become more competitive. He has defined what we need to do. A really good DC, a really good QB, and just a few more top recruits could make a huge difference.
What you said, plus a head coach that is willing to implement new ideas into his stale offense. Think passing!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I get that but football just isn’t fun at times when you have the Bamas goin to the National championship every year. I read an article that said there might be a cap of 25 support staff. That alone would help a tremendous amount. I wouldn’t mind seeing a cap on what the support staff can make as well.

It might take us 10 years to reach that cap level....

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Having a separate coaching staff available for recruiting, breaking down film and putting together game prep just does not seem like football to me. When you are approaching a 1:1 coach to player on the field ratio it takes some of the fun out of the game.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
With your knowledge of money under the table, free cars, etc., you have turned them into the NCAA or our compliance office - right?
The NCAA and anyone in college athletics knows what goes on because of all the money it brings in more and more people are turning their backs on it and yes I know this goes on from first hand experience . ugag is the worst!

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
The NCAA and anyone in college athletics knows what goes on because of all the money it brings in more and more people are turning their backs on it and yes I know this goes on from first hand experience . ugag is the worst!
I work with guys that played CFB & CBB.... and some have kids that play college sports, so I've heard my share of recruiting stories. They basically align with that "Bag Man" article a few years ago on SB Nation. SEC football & Duke bball seem to be the worst. Some of these kids are dumb enough to post pics on social media with stacks of cash, new cars, etc.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
What you said, plus a head coach that is willing to implement new ideas into his stale offense. Think passing!
For CPJ, I think that it came down to a choice this year between (a) TM with better running, but poorer passing or (b) LJ with better passing, but poorer running. Since we are a run-oriented offense, that was an easy choice. If a CPJ QB shows the ability to both run AND pass, you will see more passing and different routes.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
The University Presidents and the NCAA need to step up to the plate and tell the NFL that they will no longer be a de facto minor league/ farm system.

Only full qualifiers admitted to the college ranks.

Competition ramps up with only true student athletes playing.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
For CPJ, I think that it came down to a choice this year between (a) TM with better running, but poorer passing or (b) LJ with better passing, but poorer running. Since we are a run-oriented offense, that was an easy choice. If a CPJ QB shows the ability to both run AND pass, you will see more passing and different routes.
I think at the beginning of the season, with a somewhat intact OL to work with, we could have won a couple more games. BUT , to me there was no excuse to lose to a middling Tenn team , play pretty well for a while , beat VT and then lose to both UVA and Duke. Very disappointing ending. Seems like losing to UVA just deflated the whole team.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This article describes the recruiting machine that Kirby has implemented in Athens. Gives you a good idea of what we're up against. If you're on the fence about donating, maybe this will push you over.

https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-ne...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html
Half a million per person and not even a coach. 4.5 million and you haven’t paid a nickel to coaches? Who can afford that much? Plus 60 staff involved in recruiting? Absurd!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Half a million per person and not even a coach. 4.5 million and you haven’t paid a nickel to coaches? Who can afford that much? Plus 60 staff involved in recruiting? Absurd!
That shouldn’t be GT’s model getting in an arms race with Bammer, etc. We need to spend enough, but more importantly harness the Institute’s talent to gain competitive advantages. We should be a leader in sports technology & analytics. I’m not aware we’re doing anything like the top programs and even some like Northwestern who you might argue is a lot like us in most respects.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ent-sports-analytics-startup-zcruit-acquired/

I think at the beginning of the season, with a somewhat intact OL to work with, we could have won a couple more games. BUT , to me there was no excuse to lose to a middling Tenn team , play pretty well for a while , beat VT and then lose to both UVA and Duke. Very disappointing ending. Seems like losing to UVA just deflated the whole team.
I think the deflating began with the loss to Miami. We were never the same after that.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't 500K per person, it was 500K for the nine new staff members total.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
That shouldn’t be GT’s model getting in an arms race with Bammer, etc. We need to spend enough, but more importantly harness the Institute’s talent to gain competitive advantages. We should be a leader in sports technology & analytics. I’m not aware we’re doing anything like the top programs and even some like Northwestern who you might argue is a lot like us in most respects.

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ent-sports-analytics-startup-zcruit-acquired/
I have been saying and thinking this for years. That's where Tech could create an advantage and keep their academic integrity!