UGA recruiting article

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That shouldn’t be GT’s model getting in an arms race with Bammer, etc. We need to spend enough, but more importantly harness the Institute’s talent to gain competitive advantages. We should be a leader in sports technology & analytics.

I have heard stuff like this for years....however oddly enough Tech athletics has ALWAYS lagged behind other programs in technology and innovation. Areas where Tech should shine: Ticket distribution, web design, web commerce it is at best pedestrian or at worse embarrassingly uncompetitive.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have heard stuff like this for years....however oddly enough Tech athletics has ALWAYS lagged behind other programs in technology and innovation. Areas where Tech should shine: Ticket distribution, web design, web commerce it is at best pedestrian or at worse embarrassingly uncompetitive.
Two things:
1. They probably don't hire Tech grads in the GTAA to do those things because Tech grads demand higher salaries in the industry, and
2. They probably have one guy over tasked to do what other schools have 5 doing.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Two things:
1. They probably don't hire Tech grads in the GTAA to do those things because Tech grads demand higher salaries in the industry, and

Georgia has a room full of undergrad interns that they are paying with gift cards. Where is Tech's cheap labor pool....oh yeah they dont care about football.
2. They probably have one guy over tasked to do what other schools have 5 doing.
See above.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA and anyone in college athletics knows what goes on because of all the money it brings in more and more people are turning their backs on it and yes I know this goes on from first hand experience . ugag is the worst!

You are saying you have evidence of ugag paying players, buying them vehicles (and I would not be the least bit shocked) BUT you do not care enough about GT to even turn the cheaters in?

You have a chance to hurt ugag and you will not do anything about it?

Holy crap!

Deleted member 2897

Georgia spends $40M more per year than Tech on athletics. Where does it go? Facilities etc - but note the 60 support staff that are listed as "also", not even involved in football/coaching/etc. You can bet if you add up their full staff it's probably 100+ people. Those 1,000s of touches sounds creepy, but to the 5* guys who think the sun revolves around them, it matters a lot.

I've counted 40+ at Clemson games, so you can guess they employ 100+ too.

Only so many can play that game. We have to be different. I like our new/proposed approach of trying to identify and target more of the high integrity/academic guys and raising money to spend more in a targeted way that way. There are plenty of them and we can move the needle if we just get more of those folks.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Part of me agrees. A cap would help level the playing field ala the salary cap in the NFL. But my free-market side says if you've got the money & football is that important, you should be able to do what you like. Let's be honest, even with a cap, the SEC schools would find a loophole & exploit it.

My concern is, if everybody put this much effort into recruiting, at some point won't these kids will feel bombarded & borderline harassed? Seems like you would push some kids away.
A free market would eventually kill any sport. A sport can’t really exist without reasonable competition. Sadly, that seems to be the direction that college football is heading.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A free market would eventually kill any sport. A sport can’t really exist without reasonable competition. Sadly, that seems to be the direction that college football is heading.
The NFL enacted rules to foster parity and has become the most popular sport in America. CFB needs to follow suit.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The NFL enacted rules to foster parity and has become the most popular sport in America. CFB needs to follow suit.

College FB should have rules that: ensure academic standing and progress of players, prevent schools from taking advantage of players, ensure that high school students aren't adversely affected by too much attention from college recruiters, etc. The rules and governing body shouldn't care who wins, or whether some schools become dominant. College football should be a sport played by college students and not a business.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tech needs to put together a high production video presentation of what Tech has to offer prospects. Everyone always says getting prospects on campus and showing them what’s available as their future here really opens their eyes.

Brief clips that follow a high charisma current player from workouts, to class, to practice, to chow, to meetings, to ping pong or whatever camaraderie time. Utilize drones around campus to truly show it off, 400 acres of college campus in the middle of Atlanta. Show facilities, indoor, stadium, new locker room etc. Toss in some nearby venues like CHOF / aquarium etc.

Then can distribute it via social media, in Home coaches visits on tablet, whatever. Take the campus to the kids...because most probably don’t make the visit themselves.

Hell, do some video interviews with former players to promote their lives and opportunities after football. Could do a series of those suckers.

slugboy

Staff member
I’d be happy to be ahead of Duke, UVA, and UNC in recruiting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Kirby is winning know with mostly Richt's players. So yeah while this article is about recruiting, you still got to coach em..

That's the major difference I'm seeing from that team. They are well disciplined and a fundamentally sound group. I'd like to know how many new aux staff hires they have that they didn't have in the past.

Deleted member 2897

I’d be happy to be ahead of Duke, UVA, and UNC in recruiting

Georgia Tech is currently ranked #50.

North Carolina is ranked #48.
Virginia is ranked #52.
Duke is ranked #64.

So you must be pretty happy then, despite the fact that you want us to compete with people who offer fake classes and majors in eligibility.
:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

Deleted member 2897

Kirby is winning know with mostly Richt's players. So yeah while this article is about recruiting, you still got to coach em..

That's the major difference I'm seeing from that team. They are well disciplined and a fundamentally sound group. I'd like to know how many new aux staff hires they have that they didn't have in the past.

As we all know, football can be a game of inches. Georgia had some amazingly ridiculous catches to just barely beat Notre Dame by 1 point. Yesterday while up 17 points with 6 seconds left in the first half, Oklahoma basically kicked an onsides kick without trying to cover it, giving a free chance at a field goal going into half. That ended up being a big difference in the game.

Scheduling is also a big piece. Only 4 of Georgia's 13 opponents (30%) won 8 or more games this year. By contrast, 6 of our 11 opponents (55%) won 8 or more games this year. They are a very good team, make no mistake about it. But when you're a good team and you also play a cupcake schedule, it makes it much more possible to win a bunch of games. Just ask UCF.

slugboy

Staff member
Georgia Tech is currently ranked #50.

North Carolina is ranked #48.
Virginia is ranked #52.
Duke is ranked #64.

So you must be pretty happy then, despite the fact that you want us to compete with people who offer fake classes and majors in eligibility.
:cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

Last time I looked, we were behind them all, and the last few years we have been as well.
Right now, we look a lot better relative to them: https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=ACC
NC State and Louisville are killing it right now (and not even looking at Clemson or Miami)

Deleted member 2897

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Jawja plays the team on the schedule take advantage and beat each team. They did that.