UGA recruiting article

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This article describes the recruiting machine that Kirby has implemented in Athens. Gives you a good idea of what we're up against. If you're on the fence about donating, maybe this will push you over.

https://sports.yahoo.com/georgia-ne...ck-sabans-process-game-changer-050129185.html
I really wish there was a cap on support staff (there has been talk about this) money spent ect. It would really even the playing field and make football more competitive imo.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
I really wish there was a cap on support staff (there has been talk about this) money spent ect. It would really even the playing field and make football more competitive imo.
Part of me agrees. A cap would help level the playing field ala the salary cap in the NFL. But my free-market side says if you've got the money & football is that important, you should be able to do what you like. Let's be honest, even with a cap, the SEC schools would find a loophole & exploit it.

My concern is, if everybody put this much effort into recruiting, at some point won't these kids will feel bombarded & borderline harassed? Seems like you would push some kids away.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Part of me agrees. A cap would help level the playing field ala the salary cap in the NFL. But my free-market side says if you've got the money & football is that important, you should be able to do what you like. Let's be honest, even with a cap, the SEC schools would find a loophole & exploit it.

My concern is, if everybody put this much effort into recruiting, at some point won't these kids will feel bombarded & borderline harassed? Seems like you would push some kids away.
I get that but football just isn’t fun at times when you have the Bamas goin to the National championship every year. I read an article that said there might be a cap of 25 support staff. That alone would help a tremendous amount. I wouldn’t mind seeing a cap on what the support staff can make as well.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
There should be a professional minor league for football. Then a lot of the 'high priced' talent would not be on the market, and an education would be more of a selling point for recruits.
Pinglett you hit the nail right on the head . If there was a minor pro league it would cut out all these special admits and maybe make it college ball again .

GTFLETCH

Banned
We need to reach out to B. Cook and have him as our lead Recruiter under this new system unless he has taken a coaching position somewhere else! He is a great recruiter!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
There should be a professional minor league for football. Then a lot of the 'high priced' talent would not be on the market, and an education would be more of a selling point for recruits.
I saw a week or so ago that the father of the petty thief from UCLA is testing the waters for a basketball league for kids that would rather not mess around with college. I wonder if the free enterprise system could make it work.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I saw a week or so ago that the father of the petty thief from UCLA is testing the waters for a basketball league for kids that would rather not mess around with college. I wonder if the free enterprise system could make it work.

The NBA is already talking about taking kids directly out of high school into their developmental league. I believe the league that guy was talking about would only be used to advertise his kids and fleece money out of the pockets of kids with absolutely no shot at making the NBA.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ok, this looks impressive. But remember that the kind of communications assault it involves doesn't always work. You can turn people off by forcing yourself on them. Further, a whole lot of athletes make decisions about where to go to school based on more then meeting the head coach a few times.

I'm not saying that Tech doesn't need more recruiting staff; we do. I also really like the idea of getting students involved and an internship program (why isn't that being done already?). What I am saying is that Ugag did really well this year. The tale will be told next year when they win 8 or so.

As to limits: that'll need either a big state *cough* California *cough* or the feds stepping up to the plate. Things will have to get a bit worse for that to happen. The way the NCAA is handling this will, sooner or later, lead to a plebeian revolt by non-factory schools. If more and more schools go the Idaho route - personally, I think that's coming - then we'll see what happens.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Nothing will happen to change P5 college athletics until the Presidents of these universities take control over their respective athletic departments. The athletic departments run the universities and the presidents know that athletic success brings in $ and improves the quality of student applicants. Our school is more interested in academic ranking than athletic ranking and that is the way it should be. I worked with a former Duke football player in the 70's and 80's. He felt that the Duke faculty was very content with just being competitive in sports. Winning half the games was sufficient. They got a taste of big time success with basketball and to some extent the Spurrier years in football changed things. They decided to focus on improving athletics and seem to be doing a pretty good job in several sports (lacrosse, soccer, golf, baseball, women's BB and football). They upped the donation goals led mostly by former football players. TStan seems to have started us in the right direction to become more competitive. He has defined what we need to do. A really good DC, a really good QB, and just a few more top recruits could make a huge difference.