UGA Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I get what you're saying, but I still have to pin this loss entirely on the offense. Tying to pin a loss on the defense that only gave up 13 points is just silly.

Going into the game I thought if we could hold them to 20 or less we'd win because you're right, their offense is bad.

Let's say they go for it on fourth and get the TD and make it 17....and maybe even kick the FG earlier in the game to get 20...we still should have been able to score three TDs throughout the game to win.

Do we need to improve on defense? Yes. Did the defense do enough where we should have won yesterday, absolutely.

If we had this year's defense in 2011 or 2012 we'd have won the ACC. Instead, since out offense has been so self destructive this year, our average defense was simply only able to keep us hanging around in the games.
I actually agree with your points here for the most part. Do I think the offense struggled more? Yes.

In the end I'm not pinning a loss on any particular unit. There is still doubt in my mind about the effectiveness of our defense yesterday. The reason for my post was that I think some are oversimplifying their impact suggesting they were absolved of any responsibility (my interpretation).

UGA's defense is also stronger than their offense, so it's also not an apples to apples comparison. Should our offense, even in its current state, have been able to muster 14 points? I'd say yes. However I also agree we would have needed more if UGA was forced to push the issue on offense.

Really, debating the lesser of two evils right now is just not fun. And we're not even talking about the special teams cluster this year, but that's for a different thread. I thought they did ok yesterday.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i thought that a key was when the batted pass was not caught before the half. not the player's fault but oh so close. had he caught that batted ball chances are he runs it to the 30 or even closer giving us enough for 3-4 plays includinga field goal before the half.

that could have given us much needed momentum starting the 2nd half. instead we ened up at the goal line running out the half.

great job by the d. time after time they bailed out the non productive o in this game.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
You don't remember but then you remember it happening in other games? It happened yesterday when the BB and the AB ran into each other at the mesh. The ball was fumbled and IIRC it bounced back up into his hands. I believe the announcer even stated that the BB went the wrong way. This offense is precision and if not run correctly, you get lots of turnovers and negative plays. PJ himself said that we needed more production from certain positions. BB was one of them along with the QB. The best running backs in the country do not "take it to the house" every game. In fact, very few runs are 30 yards or longer. Funny how our fans think our backs "can take it to the house" multiple times a game. I'll take the consistent 4 or 5 yards out of the BB position with the occasional 30 yarder over waiting for the "take it to the house" run that usually doesn't happen. Last year just happened to be the perfect example of what this offense can do when you have the right kind of players. I'm not saying that who we have can't be the right player for the position, I'm saying this year we didn't have it. Hence the 3-9 record. Here's to a much better year next year!

Did you watch the FSU game yesterday, their tail back has twenty runs of over 20 yards this year. You are restating the myth that the triple option is a plodding offense that wears you down. Tech routinely has been in the top 5 in plays over 20 yards. We need game breakers. Do you remember how effective we were with Sims. We ran up yards but lost games. When a team has to respect the bback as a potential game breaker it opens up the outside. Trust me yesterday there were at least two plays yesterday where PS was in that would have been 20 yard gains with Allen or Matshall running.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
maybe instead of running routes with jt all summer long our wr's and b backs should also pair up with dlineman dback linebackers and practice blocking?

dont they do a whole lot more blocking than route running?

imo the d did improve while the o regressed and regressed badly due mostly too poor blocking imo.

i do think it is time cpj cut bait with his buddy sewak. can we raid the navy staff for some coaches? they sure looked better than we did this year in spite
of the fact that we out recruit them yearly which isnt saying much.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You live in a false reality then.

First of all, nobody is saying that the Oline is totally to blame for our offensive woes this year. There is plenty of blame to go around, but to act like they aren't a big reason, if not the biggest, is asinine.

As for the lack of production from the bback spot, let's do a side by side comparison shall we?

Player A: 84 carries for 485 yards (5.8 per carry), 3 catches for 54 yards, 8 total TDs.
Player B: 86 carries for 654 yards (7.6 per carry), 3 catches for 42 yards, 4 TDs
Player C: 133 carries for 697 yards (5.2 per carry), 6 catches for 122, and 3 TDs

Who had the better year? Can you tell who is who? What if I told you player A was ZL as a Junior in 2013, player B is MM as a true freshman and player C is ZL as a sophomore. So Mr. "north south" himself had 2 less carries as a junior and finished with ~170 less yards...how is that possible? Same guy needed almost 50 more carries to get ~40 more yards his sophomore year? Can't be, MM dances too much... Even last year he had 90 more carries and only finished with less than 200 more yards with the best offensive line we've had since PJ has been here.

Don't as a jab at Laskey either because I loved the guy and thought he was a great bback. I wish we had him this year instead of wasting him his freshman year. This is to poke a huge hole in your assertion that bback was the issue this year and specifically that MM "dances" too much.

Does he need work in other areas? Yup, sure does. A lot of guys need work. Was he easily the best option and most explosive guy we had this year? Dang right he was. So you can continue to make stuff up to fit your narrative, but numbers don't lie. That's the reality, no excuses needed.
Remember though MM got a bunch of yards in our first two games against you know who. Once the going got tough after those first two, I'd bet his YPC took a big hit.

I believe MM belongs on the field. He is our most explosive player but needs daylight, as does anyone else.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Wrong. He does throw, he can't pass.
I was going to reply to the post right above yours but saw yours as I was hitting Reply.

This post of yours is unequivocally true. He throws darts but doesn't pass a football. He's been somewhat successful in his career throwing the ball but overall for this offense, he's probably the best option. No passing camp, though, is going to help him much. He is what he is throwing it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think anybody will be able to convince me that a single position group was primarily to blame for our season's results. What we had was a confluence of several factors. The sum of all of them led to a product that didn't win very much.

As far as BB goes and the OL, who is to blame? I say both, although I hate to use the word blame. Saying we got no "push" up front really isn't true. We got beat a lot more with shifts and quickness this year than we did with brute force. In terms of the BB's in comparison to prior players, what we didn't get was consistency and ball security. I think MM was the most explosive guy we had in years and has easily the most potential. The problems with him were ball security, blocking, and general consistency. I don't have a lot of probem with his running style per se, but his hesitancy on occasion and proclivity to put the ball on the ground, halted some drives. Experience will fix a lot of his ills, I feel sure. There is a lot of talent there. He is the best we have with the ball in his hands, at any position. PS played hurt a lot, but he is what he is. I think he may play at the next level, but it won't be as a feature back. He is a physical blocker and that is what his role will be if he moves on. Sadly, at GT, the BB position requires more than blocking back mentality. We need good feet and vision as well.

Last edited:

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me give you this as evidence, 2014, 11-3. 2015 3-9. Last year we had 2 of the best N/S runners in the game IMO. This year....

You're right! The only thing different about this year was our bbacks. Our online was great, QB played flawless, we had 2 NFL WRs outside to keep the D honest, and a plethora of experienced abacks doing their job on the perimeter. If we had only had a decent ("north south") bback we would've won 10 games...

You might want to go back and watch some of SD's runs from last year. He made a lot of cuts before the LOS (which are the devil to you and takethepoints) that lead to big runs that would've been stopped for no gain had he gone just "north south" which you love so much. I will try to post a link of his highlight video from his career. Watch the first run against UGA last year closely around 53 seconds in.

Of course he hits the hole quick when it's there as well, but most bbacks do that. MM did it very nicely in the Alcorn game because that was one of the few times a hole was actually there for hitting. If you or takethepoints have some evidence of him not hitting the hole and dancing instead, I'd love to see it. Most of the time he "danced" was when there was nothing there and he made a cut. A lot of the time the DT was beating him to the mesh which makes it hard to do much of anything.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think anybody will be able to convince me that a single unit was primarily to blame for our season's results. What we had was a confluence of several factors. The sum of all of them led to a product that didn't win very much.

As far as BB goes and the OL, who is to blame? I say both, although I hate to use the word blame. Saying we got no "push" up front really isn't true. We got beat a lot more with shifts and quickness this year than we did with brute force. In terms of the BB's in comparison to prior players, what we didn't get was consistency and ball security. I think MM was the most explosive guy we had in years and has easily the most potential. The problems with him were ball security, blocking, and general consistency. I don't have a lot of probem with his running style per se, but his hesitancy on occasion and proclivity to put the ball on the ground, halted some drives. Experience will fix a lot of his ills, I feel sure. There is a lot of talent there. He is the best we have with the ball in his hands, at any position. PS played hurt a lot, but he is what he is. I think he may play at the next level, but it won't be as a feature back. He is a physical blocker and that is what his role will be if he moves on. Sadly, at GT, the BB position requires more than blocking back mentality. We need good feet and vision as well.

Just some stats to consider from last year. I am a firm believer that if Days did not get the opportunity because of ZL's injury we don't win as many games. Days got the bulk of his carries in the last 7 games we had getting injured at UGA so his production wasn't as great that game

Days had 21 carries over 10 yards and 5 over 20 in 7 games he averaged over 6 yards a carry. This is a back that is bringing big play potential to the game.

Laskey had 15 carries over 10 and 5 over 20 averaging 5 yards a carry.
He played in all games except 1.

Add that together
Last year 36 carries over 10 yards and 10 over 20. The bback position is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He has to be a game changer.

Contrast this with Sims who had 16 carries over 10 and 5 over 20 his senior year and you see some key differences between winning 11 games and 7 or 6.

This year
Skov with 5 over 10 and 1 over 20
Allen 1 carry over 10 none over 20
Marshall 14 carries over 10 and 8 over 20

Allen was hurt most of the season so he had limited carries but you can see statistically why Marshall needed more touches.

If we want to win more than 6 or 7 games this slot has to be a big play slot.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Anyone implying that Marcus Marshall is more of a problem than a gift just doesn't know football.

Good God I hope his parents don't venture on here.

Could be the best back we've had in years and Tech fans are saying he doesn't know how to or when to hit the hole. These claims are based on nothing, no video evidence that's for damn certain.

Step away from the keyboards.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anybody will be able to convince me that a single unit was primarily to blame for our season's results. What we had was a confluence of several factors. The sum of all of them led to a product that didn't win very much.

Offense: Number 94 in yards per game
Defense: Number 41 in opponent yards per game.

FBS Only

I don't think anybody will be able to convince me that if the offense had been number 41 in yards per game that we would be 2-9 in FBS games.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Just some stats to consider from last year. I am a firm believer that if Days did not get the opportunity because of ZL's injury we don't win as many games. Days got the bulk of his carries in the last 7 games we had getting injured at UGA so his production wasn't as great that game

Days had 21 carries over 10 yards and 5 over 20 in 7 games he averaged over 6 yards a carry. This is a back that is bringing big play potential to the game.

Laskey had 15 carries over 10 and 5 over 20 averaging 5 yards a carry.
He played in all games except 1.

Add that together
Last year 36 carries over 10 yards and 10 over 20. The bback position is not 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He has to be a game changer.

Contrast this with Sims who had 16 carries over 10 and 5 over 20 his senior year and you see some key differences between winning 11 games and 7 or 6.

This year
Skov with 5 over 10 and 1 over 20
Allen 1 carry over 10 none over 20
Marshall 14 carries over 10 and 8 over 20

Allen was hurt most of the season so he had limited carries but you can see statistically why Marshall needed more touches.

If we want to win more than 6 or 7 games this slot has to be a big play slot.

IIRC he missed 3 games bc of injury and only played a series in the Clemson game bc it was senior day. There are a lot of what-ifs but the only thing for sure are the wins/losses. We didn't get many wins this year and the BB position was a part of those lose bc of poor play. Don't get me wrong there is other positions that needed more production but the 2 most important positions (QB,BB) played as poor as any PJ teams ever. Success is measured in wins and losses....not individual accomplishments. You know the saying, No I in TEAM

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
You're right! The only thing different about this year was our bbacks. Our online was great, QB played flawless, we had 2 NFL WRs outside to keep the D honest, and a plethora of experienced abacks doing their job on the perimeter. If we had only had a decent ("north south") bback we would've won 10 games...

You might want to go back and watch some of SD's runs from last year. He made a lot of cuts before the LOS (which are the devil to you and takethepoints) that lead to big runs that would've been stopped for no gain had he gone just "north south" which you love so much. I will try to post a link of his highlight video from his career. Watch the first run against UGA last year closely around 53 seconds in.

Of course he hits the hole quick when it's there as well, but most bbacks do that. MM did it very nicely in the Alcorn game because that was one of the few times a hole was actually there for hitting. If you or takethepoints have some evidence of him not hitting the hole and dancing instead, I'd love to see it. Most of the time he "danced" was when there was nothing there and he made a cut. A lot of the time the DT was beating him to the mesh which makes it hard to do much of anything.

I disagree with that statement. Some do but many don't.

Go listen to some post game/practice interviews and you can hear for yourself. Cook and PJ saying BB's aren't running the track that the play is being blocked. Do you think they would deny your perceived "best player" at the position if he was deserving? I think not. I think you weigh all things that you feel give you the best chance to win. Sorry if your feelings are hurt but MM was a liability when he was out there far too often than not. That's not to say that next year he couldn't be an All American. I'm basing my opinion on what happened this year, not what could have happened. No one is saying that these guys didn't try their best. They just didn't execute consistently the way you need to to be successful. You can probably say that about the whole offense this year....LACK of CONSISTENCY.

Last edited:

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Go listen to some post game/practice interviews and you can hear for yourself.

I would recommend you doing the same. Go listen to what PJ himself said about MM when he has the ball in his hands. That is what this whole conversation has been about. You can't backpedal and start talking about other things. You said he "dances" too much when he runs. Well it seems that PJ disagrees with you. Nobody is saying that he doesn't need improvement in the other areas of the position, but again, that is not why I originally responded to your comment on him.

Are you a politician? You are really good at pivoting away from the actual issue and making it about something else. You originally commented on his running ability. I've refuted that several times, yet you continue to talk about something else and tie in the whole position group into the conversation among other distractions.

Do you think they would deny your perceived "best player" at the position if he was deserving? I think not. I think you weigh all things that you feel give you the best chance to win.

Do you think Synjyn gets the reps he got last year if ZL doesn't get hurt in the UNC game? Was he better than ZL? I don't know, but it's debatable. I know several people think so. I liked them as a combo, but this flies in the face of your comment about playing the player that gives you the best chance to win. I think PJ plays the safest guy, which isn't always a bad thing, but that sometimes leaves the more talented player not getting the looks he needs.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offense: Number 94 in yards per game
Defense: Number 41 in opponent yards per game.

FBS Only

I don't think anybody will be able to convince me that if the offense had been number 41 in yards per game that we would be 2-9 in FBS games.
I see why you misinterpreted my meaning, probably because I actually used the wrong words. What I meant to say was "position group" and not "unit". Unit implies offense, defense or special teams. I will go back and edit, but I get what you mean.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I see why you misinterpreted my meaning, probably because I actually used the wrong words. What I meant to say was "position group" and not "unit". Unit implies offense, defense or special teams. I will go back and edit, but I get what you mean.

My wife does similar things. Except she would never say she used the wrong words. I supposed to know what she means no matter what words she uses.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I would recommend you doing the same. Go listen to what PJ himself said about MM when he has the ball in his hands. That is what this whole conversation has been about. You can't backpedal and start talking about other things. You said he "dances" too much when he runs. Well it seems that PJ disagrees with you. Nobody is saying that he doesn't need improvement in the other areas of the position, but again, that is not why I originally responded to your comment on him.

Are you a politician? You are really good at pivoting away from the actual issue and making it about something else. You originally commented on his running ability. I've refuted that several times, yet you continue to talk about something else and tie in the whole position group into the conversation among other distractions.

Do you think Synjyn gets the reps he got last year if ZL doesn't get hurt in the UNC game? Was he better than ZL? I don't know, but it's debatable. I know several people think so. I liked them as a combo, but this flies in the face of your comment about playing the player that gives you the best chance to win. I think PJ plays the safest guy, which isn't always a bad thing, but that sometimes leaves the more talented player not getting the looks he needs.

Everything is debatable. I just don't happen to agree with your opinion. I could tell you I know lots of people that think ZL was better all around player but what difference does it make. I could tell you that ZL is getting a NFL paycheck and SD is cutting hair in his dad's barber shop but what does that prove . I think MM is a good back just not in this offense as a BB this year. He didn't demonstrate enough to me that made me think he was a complete back this year in this offense. My opinion could change next year if he improved on what I think he needs improvement in. But here's the catch.... Our opinion doesn't mean squat. PS was the starter bc PJ thought he gave GT the best chance to win.