uga Postgame

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Im not ready to change my pre-season predictions quite yet. I thought we would win this game.

Some things I took away:

Guard play makes all the difference. Jorg only had 2 assists but his impact on the game was huge. He got into the lane almost at will off of high screens and found people with bullets. His shot however needs a lot of work

Charles Mitchell loves to play the game of basketball. We were all real high on Cox and Sampson but Mitchell is the more polished of the 3 and really plays the game with a swagger and personality that i like. Its infectious. Nothing that happened tonight surprised him.

I said before the season Q's scoring is going to be a big piece of this puzzle. I was right. Just wanted to point that out. Im a damn genius. Next step is developing that quickness so opposing teams have to respect his ability to be more than 1 dimensional.

Tadric is going to be goooooooood.

Our offense looked good. We ran alot of different sets and executed them well. Went inside alot as a first option. Noticeable difference on feeding the post in this first game.

MGH cant disappear often like he did tonight. Stuffed the stat sheet but we almost had that dreaded drought in the 2nd half he needs to come get the ball and take control.

Bolden didnt make any highlight reels but i dont remember him sticking out doing anything wrong during the game either.

Heath makes me nervous when he has the ball.

Sampson is not as polished on offense as some led me to believe.

Lammers can get off the floor for a big dude. Reminds me alot of a young DM. He has to stick with plays on defense though. One in particular he put himself in a bad position underneath and was caught looking instead of getting back into the play and UGA got an easy basket underneath while he was still getting back in bounds.

Great night and great start to the season!

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Jorgenson had his ups and downs. I like his handle and he made some great dishes. His shot was off though, and he had some turnovers in the second half. I think he will be a good player for us, but he may be knocking some rust off for a bit.
I didn't know what to expect from Heath, but I was pleasantly surprised. He took care of the basketball and ran the offense. I don't know his shooting skill but he only threw a couple up. Our season lies in how these two progress.
I like our post guys. Mitchell carried us for a while and was a force. Cox reminds me of Jeremis, and brings some strength and attitude to the post.Sampson struggled with bump fouls, but looked strong on the glass. I think those three rotate with Lammers getting the other minutes. We didn't box out at times, but we were active on the glass.
Stephens was unconscious.
Marcus needs to take the free ones.
All in all, good game. We should be fun to watch this season.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Im not ready to change my pre-season predictions quite yet. I thought we would win this game.

Some things I took away:

Guard play makes all the difference. Jorg only had 2 assists but his impact on the game was huge. He got into the lane almost at will off of high screens and found people with bullets. His shot however needs a lot of work

Charles Mitchell loves to play the game of basketball. We were all real high on Cox and Sampson but Mitchell is the more polished of the 3 and really plays the game with a swagger and personality that i like. Its infectious. Nothing that happened tonight surprised him.

I said before the season Q's scoring is going to be a big piece of this puzzle. I was right. Just wanted to point that out. Im a damn genius. Next step is developing that quickness so opposing teams have to respect his ability to be more than 1 dimensional.

Tadric is going to be goooooooood.

Our offense looked good. We ran alot of different sets and executed them well. Went inside alot as a first option. Noticeable difference on feeding the post in this first game.

MGH cant disappear often like he did tonight. Stuffed the stat sheet but we almost had that dreaded drought in the 2nd half he needs to come get the ball and take control.

Bolden didnt make any highlight reels but i dont remember him sticking out doing anything wrong during the game either.

Heath makes me nervous when he has the ball.

Sampson is not as polished on offense as some led me to believe.

Lammers can get off the floor for a big dude. Reminds me alot of a young DM. He has to stick with plays on defense though. One in particular he put himself in a bad position underneath and was caught looking instead of getting back into the play and UGA got an easy basket underneath while he was still getting back in bounds.

Great night and great start to the season!

We will give you a tip of the hat on Q Stephens. You did have it nailed.

I had Sampson as a dependble scorer. Maybe the long layoff from real ball?
Great win, I had GA taking a close game. Probably why I am in finance and not coaching ball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked a lot of what I saw tonight, but there's plenty to work on. The defense against the dribble was very bad. Cox and Mitchell and Sampson are a frce rebounding, but their defense worries me. Where is DM???

Q had a great game, but we cannot count on him hitting lights out every game. That said, he is a solid perimeter player and hit the boards at times. This was not a game for our little guys. Travis needs a shot, but he manages the flow nicely and made very few mistakes. Heath is a puzzle. I have yet to see what he adds, but it's only one game. Tadric made some nice plays, but the shot wasn't there. Maybe it was simply 1st game nerves.

Solid game by MGH. I sure wish he could shoot FTs.

Solid overall effort with more points than I predicted. Also, weak defense inside could be a huge issue if it does not improve.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the stats--we were behind on a lot of the stats except---- for 3pt shooting-Q made the difference.I hoped someone would break-out beyond "normal".
also-CM showed why he was the star of the scrimmages--80% shooting and 9 rebs--wow

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
The Jackets rock!!! I had no real idea what to expect from this combination of players. I enjoyed watching Tech bball again. They played with heart and energy. Something that a lot of the time has been missing.

Stephens has a great 3 pt shot, especially from the 3 position. Mitchell and Cox were really enjoying themselves, finally getting to be the stars and not the supporting cast. You could see it in their faces.

Jorgenson and Heath are the PG effort we have been missing, whether they score or not.

4-0 Mr. CBG!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The good: Rebounding, Mitchell owning the inside, ball movement, screen and roll game, screens off the ball, movement without the ball, Stephens 3 point shots, Sampson affecting shots with his length, team chemistry and depth overall.

The Bad: poor game management at the end, taking early deep shots in the last 2 minutes trying to nurse a lead, Tadric forcing the ball up every time he touched it, very immature game from him.

The Ugly: There is no ugly when the leg humpers go down in defeat. Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I had no idea what we had coming into the season as I've kinda put GT basketball in the "show me something to pay attention" zone the past few seasons. On top of that, we've got a lot of new faces. Luckily, I was able to get down to McCamish for the game, and I'm really glad I did. Some of my thoughts:

Our bigs are BIG...they are wide and are a load to move. Cox isn't getting a lot of pub, but he did a lot of really good things for a big guy: Altering shots, making it tough for UGA's bigs to back into the post, and just keeping things alive for us. Mitchell had a "quiet" 20 points...I didn't even realize how nice of night he had until I got on the computer and looked at the stats. Teams are going to find it hard to get cheap points in the paint on us. Lammers showed a nice game in his limited minutes...definitely more promising for the long term than Daniel Miller was his freshmen year. Maybe next to Mitchell and Cox he seems underdeveloped physically, but in person he's actually decent size for a true freshmen.

Not sure what happened to Quinten Stephens, but he looks like a completely different player. I know it's just one game, but all through the game I kept telling my buddy how Quinten's game tonight reminded me of someone but I just couldn't figure it out. Then it hit me: the way Q played tonight was eerily similar to Tayshaun Prince. Tall, long, lanky...but can shoot the ball from anywhere, could potentially be a matchup problem if he develops a game closer to the basket to create mismatches. Nice handle for someone his height. Not sure you can see it on the TV, but Q is REALLY tall...he was standing next to Lammers and was maybe an inch shorter.

Jorgenson started off strong from the point, but he got really sloppy with the ball. I hope it's just rust from the injury, but I wasn't that impressed. He was more impressive last season before his injury. Heath was the opposite...started off a little shaky, but got stronger with his ball handling and decision making later in the game. Both have to clean up some of their decision making, but they'll both get better with more minutes. Really like that they were looking to get the ball to their teammates.

Peacone mentioned it, but in person this really stands out: MGH was easily the best athlete on the floor tonight, but he wasn't as aggressive as he probably should be. This is a guy picked to tryout for USA Basketball team, but it seems he's not as aggressive with the ball in his hands as he should be. He's got an NBA body, and can take guys off the dribble at will but doesn't always look for his shot. It always feels like he's dictating play on the defender but never wants to take the next step to finish the play.

Tadric didn't play that much, but you could tell he has potential. Unlike MGH, Tadric looked to create and did create some nice shots, they just didn't fall. They will eventually fall.

All in all, I'm actually more excited about this team than any other team CBG has had. I don't see why we can't finish in the top 8 of the ACC with this roster. We've got a deep roster in the post, a potential breakout scorer in Q, a veteran in MGH that should take his game to the next level and become a very good player, and two guards who play to our strengths in getting the ball first to our best players. Our big guys don't just take up space and eat fouls, they're legit post guys on both ends of the floor.

Hopefully this isn't just a one game wonder. I'm actually looking forward to the next game with this team.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Video of the post game.

The CBG part is what you would expect but I really enjoyed the Mitchell part. What a humble young man. The smile on his face tonight (I don't remember him being anything other than pissed off when he played us as a twerp) really caught my attention. He seemed like he was enjoying the ride tonight. Better watch out Mr. Mitchell, that gold kool-aid goes down smooth but it becomes a life long addiction! Love this quote: "We don't lose to Georgia... we never lose to Georgia."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really happy with the win, obviously.

Mitchell was a beast, but the entire front court contributed heavily.

FWIW, Travis was getting treatment right before the game. He also looked a little gimpy, so I think 2nd half might have been fatigue.

I thought Heath had a pretty solid game for being a backup PG. He had a nifty save out of nowhere near the end of the game. Someone else had stolen the ball, bobbled, UGA was about to get it back, Heath comes around the bend to scoop it & go.

We could've used a few more stops to allow the fans to not worry and the final minute of the 1st half just sucked, but I was ecstatic when it was all done.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I saw the gimpy look from Joeg early in the 2nd half, on a play when he crossed halfcourt looked a bit lame. May have tightened up at halftime. He had a play towards the end of the game against the press where he looked boxed in against the sideline and somehow got his hips turned and the ball to his outside hand and jetted up the sideline. The last 5 years at GT thats a turnover all day. I have to disagree he was more impressive last year, he jumped off the tv screen tonight and he was throwing darts and feeding guys in good position. Our concerns regarding his shot were correct unfortunately but we can work on that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I agree with you @Peacone36

The play he made to break the press down the sideline was a huge one...as you said that is a turnover the last couple of years.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Watching the first half again now.

- as others have said our bigs made the difference.

- loved what Mitchell did. He's fun to watch play and kinda sets the tone.

- Cox looked massive... Just felt like him and Mitchell fit well together.

- I think Jorg looked fine early on.

- Bolden had a nice catch and shoot...smooth. Missed the second three but it was a good shot.

- Tadric had some bad rolls on his shot but he isn't afraid of the spotlight or to take a shot..can see his talent.

- Lammers has to be happy about his first collegiate bucket...MGH made a nice feed and Lammers finished it.

- Not sure I want to say I was disappointed with Sampson but I think I expected too much early on from him.

- LOVE our inside depth..Cox and Mitchell then a second team of Sampson and Lammers.

- Overall I know it's just one game but this team is just going to be more fun to watch.

- Just want to stress again that our depth is so much better than in the past.

- Haven't seen Hayward.. Once again speaks to depth.

- Like Heath as a 2nd PG. Gives good depth. Moves the ball.

- I already talked about Mitchell but I'm proud he's a Jacket...he's just so eenergetic out there and you can tell that he's loving what he's doing. Would have never guessed he would have played that well last night.

- Really don't have to say too much about Q...he played really well. I hope we see that kinda offensive performance from him on a consistent basis.

To echo what @Techster said...I'm actually excited for the next game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lol, i am re watching the game as well right now to see if i saw the things i thought i did.

Jorg could have had 7 assists in the first half but cox/sampson were either fouled or blocked on almost all the feeds.

Lammers needs to work on help side defense but CMN will have him doing that in no time.

Tadrics shot just wasnt falling, but he has a scorers mentality and is multi dimensional. When you think he might pull the quick trigger he puts "his foot in the dirt" and heads to the lane.

I am more comfortable with Heath after watching a second time. Maybe its because i know we won but its not as bad as i originally thought.

Id still like to see Heyward carve out a role.

Bolden looked more active on the court to me. Not as hesitant.

Cox is freakin huge, i dont know if he was coached to defend the post the way he does but he just begs the offensive player baseline. Id rather see him turn them to the inside towards help.

Alot of good things.

Q wont hit 6 threes more than probably once all year and i think the rest of the team combined for 1-10. That will even out a bit but we need more perimeter scorers to stretch the D and let Mitchell and Cox go to work on the block.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
uga coach Fox noticed what I did and made a serious adjustment at the half. We were very weak defensively and could not defend the dribble penetration. That has to improve. In the first half the mutts were clanging one 3-pointer after another with no success. Their easiest buckets were inside. Then they quit heaving.

We are better offensively (I don't think Q will play like that every night) than I expected. Better ball movement and guys willing to challenge the defense. Oh, and one more thing. There were plays designed to get Q open. I loved the triangle play in the second half. And he nailed it. Clearly, BG wants Q to take those shots any time he's open.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I know it is the first game and will take awhile, but we had them on the ropes several times and did not put them away. We need that killer instinct. Great win and that's all that counts.