uga Postgame

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
This is the most talented team that we've seen since Favors and Iman's talents were (underutilized) here.

Easily the deepest team since San Antonio. I also think the first team since then that might be fun to watch.

This was our first real game of the season. It's only mid-November. This team will get a lot better from here.

/

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone remember the last time we had 2 players get 20 in the same game? I may spend half the day hunting that down as I think it would be astonishing

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I liked a lot of what I saw tonight, but there's plenty to work on. The defense against the dribble was very bad. Cox and Mitchell and Sampson are a frce rebounding, but their defense worries me. Where is DM???

Q had a great game, but we cannot count on him hitting lights out every game. That said, he is a solid perimeter player and hit the boards at times. This was not a game for our little guys. Travis needs a shot, but he manages the flow nicely and made very few mistakes. Heath is a puzzle. I have yet to see what he adds, but it's only one game. Tadric made some nice plays, but the shot wasn't there. Maybe it was simply 1st game nerves.

Solid game by MGH. I sure wish he could shoot FTs.

Solid overall effort with more points than I predicted. Also, weak defense inside could be a huge issue if it does not improve.
Question, noble sir. I have not followed Tech basketball closely in recent years and am kind of waiting to see before I pour too much analytical energy into it. Last night it looked like Tech was slumping in the second half but were able to win because Georgia just isn't very good and could never make the kind of run that a good ACC team would make. Thoughts?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ needs to start recruiting from the basketball team!

One thing about CBG's players I've noticed, they're all in good shape and they all hustle...kinda like blocking for CPJ. You better be in shape and you better hustle or you don't get to play. I kept thinking how Cox could play DL for us, and MGH could be a great TE (if we had one)...heck, put him at WR and let a defender try to match up with him in the endzone. Good luck.

A few other things I left out in my earlier post:

Maybe it's the high of playing well against UGA, but I noticed that everyone on the team seems to really enjoy playing with each other. Can't count how many times one of our guys would make a mistake, but would get a "it'll be alright pat" by their teammates. Saw Mitchell do that a few times for various guys...and Mitchell was having a great night. Gotta like it when the best player on the night does the little things outside of what you see on the stat sheets. Cox was another guy with supportive gestures towards his teammates.

Q is sneaky in a way most good shooters are. He'll just kinda stand there, then drift towards the ball to make the defender turn his head...and as soon as the defender does that, he'll sidestep into an open area. He did that a lot to create space for this shot. Again, that guy moves really well for being as tall as he is. Man, if he can develop a game closer to the basket, he'll be undefendable.

As most have said, Q isn't going to shoot like that every game. MGH needs to step it up, but I kept thinking Tadric could step into a Will Bynum type role. Someone who comes off the bench to infuse some offense. You want everyone to play selflessly, but sometimes you need someone willing to look for and create shots on their own...Tadric has the potential to do that. His shots will start falling.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Question, noble sir. I have not followed Tech basketball closely in recent years and am kind of waiting to see before I pour too much analytical energy into it. Last night it looked like Tech was slumping in the second half but were able to win because Georgia just isn't very good and could never make the kind of run that a good ACC team would make. Thoughts?
I may watch the replay again to see if it changes, but my initial impression is mostly positive. To answer your question about uga, they are a good team, but Kenny Gaines was hampered by the slow recovery from mono. He only played 18 minutes and scored 11 points. Clearly, a healthy Gain es will make a huge difference for them. They also need to figure out how to play Maten more minutes. He is an outstanding young player. I actually think they could end up in the NCAA Tournament and we not make it.

The game flow left me with the impression that uga under-estimated Tech. They were out-hustled and outplayed for about 16-17 minutes. We had a 16 point lead with 2:40 left in the half and uga looked bewildered. Then they settled down. The second half was actually more like they will probably play this year. But, if you look at how the half ended, Djurisic hit two threes and Thornton added a bucket while we scored 2 points. All this happened after the final TV timeout at the 3-minute mark.

Our guard play was pretty good in the first half, but the addition of Gaines in the uga lineup changed that in the second half. Maybe it just gave Parker and Frazier and Mann a rest. MGH had a solid game, but needs to be more assertive or he will have another 11 ppg season. I think we need him be above 15, as he is our best player and playing a position that should get more points. Q was unconscious, but also had a nice floor game. Mitchell and Cox and Sampson owned the boards in the first half, but uga did a better job blocking out in the second half. None of these three played good defense. Mitchel's' block was impressive, but also an outlier. Q made a nice block, but the ball went straight to Parker for an easy lay in.

Our two freshmen that played were not really factors in the game. Lammers looked OK in his 5 minutes and Jackson looked good for his 10 minutes in spite of being 0-4 shooting. His shots will come, so I not worried about that. He made some mistakes, but, hey, he's a rookie. Bolden is not changed from last year. Not bad, but also not doing much. Sampson was my biggest disappointment. Maybe I just expected too much. OTOH, Mitchell impressed the hell out of me on offense and rebounding. He played with a lot of energy and made the most of his opportunities. He never forced anything. Cox looked good, but made a couple of stick back attempts that were truly ugly.

These thoughts are not well organized, but it's my first game of the season. Maybe I will improve by the time we play an ACC team.

Looking at the next few games, we should be 3-0 when we go to Orlando. Marquette beat UT-Martin by 16 last night, but UTM turned the ball over 19 times.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the next few games, we should be 3-0 when we go to Orlando. Marquette beat UT-Martin by 16 last night, but UTM turned the ball over 19 times.

I watched a little bit of the UT-Martin @ Marquette game last night, and I amNOT knowledgable on basketball, but Marquette did not impress me very much. It was a nip and tuck game through most of the first half. They looked beatable to me.

But then, while I was thrilled to beat the Dawgs, and entertained by our style of basketball, I wasn't impressed by our overall play (especially on defense) in the last 23 minutes of the game. And I don't pretend to know much about basketball, but how can you say a team that eked out a win over Ga Southwestern in their exhibition is NCAA tourney-bound?

I don't think we will know much really about our team until Orlando. I do like our depth though. I doubt Q will shoot like that again this year, but then I think Tadric will shoot much better, and we will probably get a bit more out of Jorg and MGH in other games. So the depth will help when a couple of guys are off-kilter.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Glad you mentioned the floor game for Q he had a nice tip in and another that didn't fall, as well as a nice block I missed the first time, great game for him.

Also MGH got his 11th point around the 11 minute mark and didn't score again. That can't happen.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
it will be interesting to watch them manage Jorgy's minutes. He is clearly not 100%. Almost every shot he took was off 1 foot - not like last year at all.
At least he is still money at the FT line. I think this year is about getting him 100% healthy and gaining experience. He has great vision and will learn what passes he can make. He lost alot of assists with teammates not finishing off passes. Some of its could be mental as well. it takes a while to trust your body after a big injury.

Q looked like Q from HS (was like 45% 3pt shooter in HS). He won't shoot that way every game, but just the threat will make the offense better.

Love Cox and Mitchell. Both play with alot of energy and joy - especially Mitchell. i think both are enjoying being a focus of the team rather than a tole player.

Tadric is going to be very good as he gains experience.

Only one game, but against a legit opponent there are positives to build on and negatives that can be addressed. I hope this team ends up better than the sum of its parts.

One last thought - good job by the staff not thinking within the box. Most of us were thinking - who is going to start at SG. Rather than it being about TJ or Bolden the staff insteads moves MGH to 3 and plays Q at 3 - where he is more comfortable. Puts more experience on the floor and gives you added depth.

Lammers has nice potential. Going to be good for him to go up against Cox and Mitchell in practice every day.

RamblinRed

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
uga coach Fox noticed what I did and made a serious adjustment at the half. We were very weak defensively and could not defend the dribble penetration. That has to improve. In the first half the mutts were clanging one 3-pointer after another with no success. Their easiest buckets were inside. Then they quit heaving.

We are better offensively (I don't think Q will play like that every night) than I expected. Better ball movement and guys willing to challenge the defense. Oh, and one more thing. There were plays designed to get Q open. I loved the triangle play in the second half. And he nailed it. Clearly, BG wants Q to take those shots any time he's open.
We got burned by Nemanjina. He was just as much of amatchup problem for us as Q was for them. We didn't have an answer for him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't have anything really to add that hasn't been said. I really, really like having a meaningful game early in the year. Can't wait for the upcoming tournaments.

Loved seeing Q with a break-out performance. Hopefully it's a confidence builder.

Kudos to Lammers for making his first basket a memorable one. I mean, really? Your first basket is a dunk, in a rivalry game, over a guy (who ends up on his butt shaking his head)? That's almost legend status. (y)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I may watch the replay again to see if it changes, but my initial impression is mostly positive. To answer your question about uga, they are a good team, but Kenny Gaines was hampered by the slow recovery from mono. He only played 18 minutes and scored 11 points. Clearly, a healthy Gain es will make a huge difference for them. They also need to figure out how to play Maten more minutes. He is an outstanding young player. I actually think they could end up in the NCAA Tournament and we not make it.

The game flow left me with the impression that uga under-estimated Tech. They were out-hustled and outplayed for about 16-17 minutes. We had a 16 point lead with 2:40 left in the half and uga looked bewildered. Then they settled down. The second half was actually more like they will probably play this year. But, if you look at how the half ended, Djurisic hit two threes and Thornton added a bucket while we scored 2 points. All this happened after the final TV timeout at the 3-minute mark.

Our guard play was pretty good in the first half, but the addition of Gaines in the uga lineup changed that in the second half. Maybe it just gave Parker and Frazier and Mann a rest. MGH had a solid game, but needs to be more assertive or he will have another 11 ppg season. I think we need him be above 15, as he is our best player and playing a position that should get more points. Q was unconscious, but also had a nice floor game. Mitchell and Cox and Sampson owned the boards in the first half, but uga did a better job blocking out in the second half. None of these three played good defense. Mitchel's' block was impressive, but also an outlier. Q made a nice block, but the ball went straight to Parker for an easy lay in.

Our two freshmen that played were not really factors in the game. Lammers looked OK in his 5 minutes and Jackson looked good for his 10 minutes in spite of being 0-4 shooting. His shots will come, so I not worried about that. He made some mistakes, but, hey, he's a rookie. Bolden is not changed from last year. Not bad, but also not doing much. Sampson was my biggest disappointment. Maybe I just expected too much. OTOH, Mitchell impressed the hell out of me on offense and rebounding. He played with a lot of energy and made the most of his opportunities. He never forced anything. Cox looked good, but made a couple of stick back attempts that were truly ugly.

These thoughts are not well organized, but it's my first game of the season. Maybe I will improve by the time we play an ACC team.

Thanks. That was helpful.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Watching the first half again now.

- as others have said our bigs made the difference.

- loved what Mitchell did. He's fun to watch play and kinda sets the tone.

- Cox looked massive... Just felt like him and Mitchell fit well together.

- I think Jorg looked fine early on.

- Bolden had a nice catch and shoot...smooth. Missed the second three but it was a good shot.

- Tadric had some bad rolls on his shot but he isn't afraid of the spotlight or to take a shot..can see his talent.

- Lammers has to be happy about his first collegiate bucket...MGH made a nice feed and Lammers finished it.

- Not sure I want to say I was disappointed with Sampson but I think I expected too much early on from him.

- LOVE our inside depth..Cox and Mitchell then a second team of Sampson and Lammers.

- Overall I know it's just one game but this team is just going to be more fun to watch.

- Just want to stress again that our depth is so much better than in the past.

- Haven't seen Hayward.. Once again speaks to depth.

- Like Heath as a 2nd PG. Gives good depth. Moves the ball.

- I already talked about Mitchell but I'm proud he's a Jacket...he's just so eenergetic out there and you can tell that he's loving what he's doing. Would have never guessed he would have played that well last night.

- Really don't have to say too much about Q...he played really well. I hope we see that kinda offensive performance from him on a consistent basis.

To echo what @Techster said...I'm actually excited for the next game.

@Eric, Still predicting 11 wins?

I watched a little bit of the UT-Martin @ Marquette game last night, and I amNOT knowledgable on basketball, but Marquette did not impress me very much. It was a nip and tuck game through most of the first half. They looked beatable to me.

Most predictions I've seen have Marquette at the bottom of the Big East. But then again most predictions have us at the bottom of the ACC so guess we'd be hypocritical reading into that too much

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Darn proud of the team. Played well together. Free throws may be our undoing, again, this year in some close games. (Hope I have to eat those words come the end of the year.)

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Postgame press conference

Initial thoughts: Great night from Quinton and Chuck. If Q can shoot like that all season he's gonna be a huge asset. A shooter is what we need the most. Loved the passion from the guys, especially Chuck. Liked the way we were pushing the ball

I was surprised Tech won this game. Brian Gregory seems to own the Bulldogs. But in spite of this win, I'm not seeing anything more than 3 ACC wins this season. Does anyone else get the feeling this is Brian Gregory's last season at Tech?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was surprised Tech won this game. Brian Gregory seems to own the Bulldogs. But in spite of this win, I'm not seeing anything more than 3 ACC wins this season. Does anyone else get the feeling this is Brian Gregory's last season at Tech?
I certainly think that is possible, but I am somewhat encouraged by what I saw Friday night. Be patient. It's still November.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Wow. Really? Is he on that much of a hot seat? Honestly, I had no idea he was that close to a possible firing..... (call me dumb, I guess)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow. Really? Is he on that much of a hot seat? Honestly, I had no idea he was that close to a possible firing..... (call me dumb, I guess)
His seat has been warming up as we head in to the season, but I think people truly watching the program, realize he's likely to be fine if he shows progress, as opposed to the broader media, who thinks he's highly at risk without post-season play.

Winning on Friday night doesn't make things cooler, but really sets the tone for the season, looked great in front of the local recruiting scene, and will instill confidence & chemistry.