UGA Postgame Discussion

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Mizzou is actually a great comparison to us. Randomly great seasons like our OB, some stinkers, and now 7 and 8 win seasons. They held UGA to two FG and had and offensive TD in the first half. They didn't look like a FCS team out there like we did. Mizzou got swamped with a fumble return and a blocked kick (punt maybe, I don't remember) for TDs that made them play from behind.

Neither of us stood a chance of beating UGA without a miracle, but Mizzou at least got some body blows in before getting knocked out. We were just a punching bag out there for 4 quarters.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
And we were probably two non muffed punts away from finishing 5-7 and missing a bowl.

You upset about winning close games? Just trying to understand the logic here by throwing out things that didn't happen (we went 7-5 not 5-7). Most elite teams typically have a few games where luck is the deciding factor in a given year....I think what Alabama is doing this year has made some folks forget how important luck is in college football. While luck and hard work go hand in hand...the best college teams just seem have that factor regardless of talent. I have seen us have it before and its a lot of fun when you are on the right side of those situations....we had our moments this year and I actually see it as a positive.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Mizzou is actually a great comparison to us. Randomly great seasons like our OB, some stinkers, and now 7 and 8 win seasons. They held UGA to two FG and had and offensive TD in the first half. They didn't look like a FCS team out there like we did. Mizzou got swamped with a fumble return and a blocked kick (punt maybe, I don't remember) for TDs that made them play from behind.

Neither of us stood a chance of beating UGA without a miracle, but Mizzou at least got some body blows in before getting knocked out. We were just a punching bag out there for 4 quarters.

Well last year at halftime UGA was only up 10 and Clemson only beat Tech by 14 points. So this year was the first time in a while both teams made us look like JV kids.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Missouri was also UGA’s like 2nd SEC game and we were the twelfth game of the season AND we’re a rivalry game. We most likely played a much better and focused team than they did.

You upset about winning close games? Just trying to understand the logic here by throwing out things that didn't happen (we went 7-5 not 5-7). Most elite teams typically have a few games where luck is the deciding factor in a given year....I think what Alabama is doing this year has made some folks forget how important luck is in college football. While luck and hard work go hand in hand...the best college teams just seem have that factor regardless of talent. I have seen us have it before and its a lot of fun when you are on the right side of those situations....we had our moments this year and I actually see it as a positive.

Or maybe a better way to look at those two punt Muffs,....our All American punter kicked the ball so deep and high that the return men could not handle those excellent kicks. There, no luck involved.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Citadel had Bammer tied at the half. We forget these are kids playing on Saturday and sometimes **** just happens that never should. Is there even 1 kid on the Citadel roster that could have greyshirted at Bammer?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The one thing we did fairly well on O this year is run the ball. The thing we were horrid at was passing it. And you call for putting the QB in the gun to hamstring the run game to pass more. Genius.

How well the run game was working yesterday? Did you watch the game?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Even worse, Mizzou just recently a few years ago went through a B*** L**** situation that nearly destroyed their football program over BLM and Ferguson protests spilling into the politics of the Mizzou campus.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize that. He also was pumped and said “let’s effing go!” Like it was a game changer. When we were already getting killed
And you want them to rollover and totally give up? We needed more of our players showing up like that all game long. As long as your not talking trash I would want everyone of our players w that passion.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

And what are Mizzou's academic requirements for entry and what majors do they offer that allow athletes to remain on schedule for graduation? (Hint: it is NOT a good comparison to GT.)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If a lot of your friends are Georgia fans, as mine are, after a game where we won or even just almost won, you have heard this: "How do you do this? We should kill you every year. With who we recruit and who you recruit, this should never happen." There is some truth in this.

We get mostly potential players with a smattering of developed blue chips. They get almost all developed blue chips. Thankfully, recruiting is inexact. Some of our potential guys grow to superstars. Many of their blue chippers turn out to be overrated. Sometimes, though, not very many of ours turn out to be playmakers and some of our few playmakers get injured or leave the program. And right now, apparently most of their superstar recruits turned out to be the real deal. With this combination, you get yesterday.

I don't know when this will turn around, but at some point, it will. The one time in recent years we were really good we had a quarterback who was a dangerous runner, quick with his ball handling, and could throw it some. Our first chance to be competitive with them will be when we have another quarterback like JT.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
And what are Mizzou's academic requirements for entry and what majors do they offer that allow athletes to remain on schedule for graduation? (Hint: it is NOT a good comparison to GT.)

But somehow historically we have been at least on par with them and probably a little better despite the academic angle which has always been there. The frustrating thing from my perspective is how many people are so eager to just say we can’t do it anymore because the last 4 years have gone south. Too soon for me to wave the white flag. I’m concerned that many are at that point however. And that for me is worse than any coaching decision that can be made.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
But somehow historically we have been at least on par with them and probably a little better despite the academic angle which has always been there. The frustrating thing from my perspective is how many people are so eager to just say we can’t do it anymore because the last 4 years have gone south. Too soon for me to wave the white flag. I’m concerned that many are at that point however. And that for me is worse than any coaching decision that can be made.
???? What world have you been living in? They beat us 70% of the time. That is the historical reality. 51-7 happened under Chan. These kind of games happen every once in a while.

if you are bothered by how bad they beat us, forget about it. It was just a bad game.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
???? What world have you been living in? They beat us 70% of the time. That is the historical reality. 51-7 happened under Chan. These kind of games happen every once in a while.

if you are bothered by how bad they beat us, forget about it. It was just a bad game.

No. I’m talking about Mizzou. You seem to think that is a much better program than ours. That mentality is what is frustrating to me.

Uga has entered the tier with Bama, Clemson and Ohio Stare. It is what it is. Our focus shouldn’t even be there now.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
No. I’m talking about Mizzou. You seem to think that is a much better program than ours. That mentality is what is frustrating to me.

Uga has entered the tier with Bama, Clemson and Ohio Stare. It is what it is. Our focus shouldn’t even be there now.
Oh, no...I misunderstood what you were saying...I thought you were comparing us to UGa.

Mizzou has been historically similar to us but has every reason in the world to be better than us......because they lack the academic restrictions.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Dude we’ve won something like 14 games out of the last 50. If that’s historically on par with them I don’t really know what to tell you.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Oh, no...I misunderstood what you were saying...I thought you were comparing us to UGa.

Mizzou has been historically similar to us but has every reason in the world to be better than us......because they lack the academic restrictions.

True they lack the academic restrictions. But maybe we have a few things they don’t? What about our location in the city? It provides a unique environment that if sold correctly could be appealing to some. What about our tradition? It’s pretty good when compared to a school like Mizzou. Proximity to recruits? Atlanta is a flat hotbed. I know there is a ton of competition but how many D1 recruits does Mizzou produce?

For whatever reason GT has been able to succeed in producing consistently competitive teams. While I understand the gap between us and the elite, I’m certainly not willing to concede to programs we have been historically better than. We need to rally the fan base and accentuate the positives of this program. Not cling to negative stereotypes that produce excuses and acceptance of sub par play. I’m not trying to be critical of you. I know you are a good fan. But I believe in self fulfilling prophecies and If we think we are a sub par program that is lucky to finish 500 I believe that is what we will get. I’d rather overvalue the program than undervalue it. I know it’s a cliche that drives many on this board mad but the acceptance of mediocrity is the death nail in a program. That mindset is more dangerous than any coach to our program. I say this acknowledging we should not expect to be where Clemson and uga are right now. Unfortunately they are our 2 biggest rivals.

Last edited: