UGA - COFH Part 3 (@ Suntrust)

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah this matchup doesn’t have a huge impact on hosting/seeds. They have the inside track on that regardless. But it’s one of our last RPI boosting games so it would be nice to take it. 3-1 week probably gets us into the Top 10. And keeps us in the National Seed discussion.
I don’t understand the feeling around here that this game isn’t that big of a deal. We either WIN the series against the #3 ranked team or we lose it based on this game.

It will be viewed by a lot of folks and it would offset any negative spin we get due to the acc being down.

If we win this game, then go 6-3 in the acc and happen to get bested by unc then I definitely believe this game will have a huge impact on our chances to host.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t understand the feeling around here that this game isn’t that big of a deal. We either WIN the series against the #3 ranked team or we lose it based on this game.

It will be viewed by a lot of folks and it would offset any negative spin we get due to the acc being down.

If we win this game, then go 6-3 in the acc and happen to get bested by unc then I definitely believe this game will have a huge impact on our chances to host.

This is a really good point. I think RPI is going to play a lot into our postseason positioning. And because of that, I think winning this game, and getting a top 4 seed in the ACC tourney are our biggest chances at keeping a high RPI.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Because midweek games aren’t weighed the same as weekend series. Elite teams lose midweek games against below average competition all the time. They don’t lose a weekend series to a below average team very often.

It’ll affect the RPI. And I agree it can’t hurt the resume if we end up on the cusp of Seed/Hosting. But winning or losing this game is not representative at all as to whether we would win/lose a weekend series with UGA. And I don’t think we’d be penalized much for a loss.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Because midweek games aren’t weighed the same as weekend series. Elite teams lose midweek games against below average competition all the time. They don’t lose a weekend series to a below average team very often.

It’ll affect the RPI. And I agree it can’t hurt the resume if we end up on the cusp of Seed/Hosting. But winning or losing this game is not representative at all as to whether we would win/lose a weekend series with UGA. And I don’t think we’d be penalized much for a loss.
Bingo. It is the #4 pitchers for each team.....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think most here are saying the same thing. This game IS a big deal. In current context, Ga Tech is on a path to host a regional & in discussion to be a top 8 (super regional) team. Winning tonight would solidify the former & help a lot with the latter.

Even with a loss tonight, Tech would still have managed a 5-4 record against top P5 competition (UCLA, WVU, UGA, Auburn)... if my math is correct...with 2 of those losses v consensus #1 UCLA. So... the difference in win v loss tonight is EXCELLENT (6-3) v pretty darn good (5-4).

Winning tonight is a big deal mainly because it's the next game in front of you. However (and no one suggested otherwise, far as I know), you still bring your BEST midweek plan... not sacrificing future weekend [pitching] needs to win tonight.

Just Win!! To Hell with Georgia!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Nothing but good news from CDH here:
1) English in lineup at DH (Guldberg at 1B)... & available to pitch, of course.
2) Hurter not necessarily going to miss a weekend start. Forearm tightness. Has thrown. Says it doesn't hurt. Evaluation(s) continue.

Great news on Hurter. Any news on the other injuries, Murray et. al.?

BTW going to chat.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
McCann with a 3-run bomb! Up 6-2 B2. About to chase their starter who has a 1.5 ERA on the season as their midweek starter.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
McCann just launched that ball into the upper deck of the Chop House. I watch a lot of Braves baseball and I am not sure I've ever seen anyone hit one up there. An absolute MISSILE.

UGA's top midweek starter out of the game after 1.1.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was disappointed being down two to one at the end of the top of the second inning. Much happier now after the bottom of the second.

[emoji106][emoji3][emoji461]

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
2 out RBI triple off the wall for Luke Waddell! It is the bottom of the 3rd inning and he is a home run away from the cycle... let that sink in.

Jackets 7, dwags 2 in B3, runner on 3rd 2 outs.