UGA - COFH Part 3 (@ Suntrust)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok... big HUGE game on Tuesday. We win season series with a win & a little leg up should it come to it with NCAA tournament selection committee on seeding for tournament.

UGA on a 5 game win streak with an outstanding team ERA (top 5 nationally). They (like Tech) completed weekend play yesterday (Sat) & their game following Tuesday's game is Friday.

Ga Tech has won 5 of 6 including a quite nice [not totally necessary] nailbiter yesterday in Blacksburg in football weather.

"ENJOY" this final midweek version of COFH. Next year...finally... this series will occur over a weekend in early March.

To HELL WITH GEORGIA!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Piss on them.

The winner will have the inside track for a Super Regional bid.

A lot of baseball (4 weeks + ACC Tourney), but the next game is the biggest of the year. ;)

I understand Wilingham starting (expected no announced?!) and hope he's limited to once through the line-up unless he is in total control. First game, 6.1 IP 2 er and 8 SO in 107 pitches. Next game, 2.0 IP, 2 er and 0 SO in 33 pitches.

This is a game to use English, Roedig, and everyone except X, CT and Hughes. No using Hughes assumes he'll start for Hurter. No info on Hurter other than he was pulled while dominating in a no-no mid inning with bad indications for upper body / arm / elbow.

Offensively and defensively, we need Webb at 3rd. Webb did have an error at 3rd this weekend as I recall. His fielding % dropped to .973 on the second error of the year for him. His .321 BA and .403 OBP make him indispensable.

Anyone else notice the ninja mind game master has a .377 OBP? Not bad for a 9 hole hitter.

We get anywhere near our OBP for the year (.396 team) and we win this one with raw power and a good D if Webb is at 3rd.

The massive stadium is set up for our new patient approach at the plate. As is Omaha. :rolleyes:

Any idea who is the designated home team? I'd like to see us be home; regardless the game will probably shorten our lives. With two blow outs to date, the only thing that makes sense is a tight one.

BTW, piss on them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offensively and defensively, we need Webb at 3rd. Webb did have an error at 3rd this weekend as I recall. His fielding % dropped to .973 on the second error of the year for him. His .321 BA and .403 OBP make him indispensable.

We get anywhere near our OBP for the year (.396 team) and we win this one with raw power and a good D if Webb is at 3rd.
Webb had an additional mis-play yesterday. Hard hit ball... playable... scorer ruled a hit. Could have been another error for him.

Doesn't change your bottom line... he's the right guy at 3rd right now. However... if I'm an opposing coach, I find every way to force our 3B to make plays... by far our weakest link defensively no matter who is in there.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Piss on them.

A lot of baseball (4 weeks + ACC Tourney), but the next game is the biggest of the year. ;)

I understand Wilingham starting (expected no announced?!) and hope he's limited to once through the line-up unless he is in total control. First game, 6.1 IP 2 er and 8 SO in 107 pitches. Next game, 2.0 IP, 2 er and 0 SO in 33 pitches.

This is a game to use English, Roedig, and everyone except X, CT and Hughes. No using Hughes assumes he'll start for Hurter. No info on Hurter other than he was pulled while dominating in a no-no mid inning with bad indications for upper body / arm / elbow.

Anyone else notice the ninja mind game master has a .377 OBP? Not bad for a 9 hole hitter.

The massive stadium is set up for our new patient approach at the plate. As is Omaha. :rolleyes:

Any idea who is the designated home team? I'd like to see us be home; regardless the game will probably shorten our lives. With two blow outs to date, the only thing that makes sense is a tight one.

BTW, piss on them.
Hurter was in no way dominating in a mid inning. It took 50 pitches to get thru the second inning and he was pulled with two out in the third. I will be surprised if he is available this week.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Piss on them.

BTW, piss on them.

Not sure the winner of a mid-week series will make that much of a difference for a Super Regional bid. That will be decided by SEC and ACC conference games, and conference tournament performance, in my opinion. Still want to beat them down though.

Hoping Hurter is OK, but not counting on it. Was thinking that if Willingham started against UGA, that Hurter would be good to go. But after reading your post, I agree that Hughes may have earned a start. His last start before his injury was in a game against VT. It would be nice if he finally found it again in this last series against VT, and can become a viable starter again.

As for the Ninja, Wiley mentioned that GT was 19-5 in games he got a hit. Since he got a hit in game 2 of the DH and we won, now 20-5. I'll take a hit over a walk next time, even though I won't complain about a walk.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This is one thing that I love about this year's team. We have starting pitching options. I have faith in the main 4 and then we have guys like Roedig and Hughes who can start or go in long relief and do fine. With the emergence of Carpenter and now the health of English, I wouldn't mind starting Hughes Sunday and giving Hurter another week off (or use Hurter out of the pen and let him rest that way).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure the winner of a mid-week series will make that much of a difference for a Super Regional bid. That will be decided by SEC and ACC conference games, and conference tournament performance, in my opinion. Still want to beat them down though.

Hoping Hurter is OK, but not counting on it. Was thinking that if Willingham started against UGA, that Hurter would be good to go. But after reading your post, I agree that Hughes may have earned a start. His last start before his injury was in a game against VT. It would be nice if he finally found it again in this last series against VT, and can become a viable starter again.

As for the Ninja, Wiley mentioned that GT was 19-5 in games he got a hit. Since he got a hit in game 2 of the DH and we won, now 20-5. I'll take a hit over a walk next time, even though I won't complain about a walk.

I'll take a ninja walk over a single. The walk usually causes the other pitcher to pitch a lot more and frustrates him more. Especially when it's the 9 hole hitter he walks. Pitching is 80% mental and 50% physical. (tic)

I think that this particular mid-week series against two top 8 contenders is far more important than most. It will build the "resume". That said, we can't wet the bed in other series or it won't matter. The next game is always the most important.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We should have more depth than we do. If we had Archer...

Hughes has pitched well, but has struggled at times. Gibson is in his own head. Has great stuff and has pitched well at times, but can't put it all together. Lee can shut a team down for 5 or 6 innings, but can also give up 10 runs in an inning.

Many times I've banged my head against the wall during Tech broadcasts.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Hughes has pitched well, but has struggled at times. Gibson is in his own head. Has great stuff and has pitched well at times, but can't put it all together. Lee can shut a team down for 5 or 6 innings, but can also give up 10 runs in an inning.

Lee is the most frustrating pitcher I have ever seen. He has great stuff, but something just isn't right.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Gee, maybe what a coach should do is pull a player like _____ when he is struggling. It's not hard. No judgement on character, ability or self worth. Just the kid can't pitch that day. Life goes on.

Deleted member 2897

First we beat the snot out of them.

Then they beat the snot out of us.

Smells like a squeaker this time. Or it could be that smell I sense is just the cesspool oozing into Atlanta again.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
“Junior RHP Tim Elliott(5-1, 1.52 ERA) will start versus Tech for the third time this season. He is 1-0 with a 2.38 ERA against the Yellow Jackets this year. In 11.1 IP he has allowed 4R, 3ER, 7H, 5BB and 13 K. Tech will counter with freshman right-hander Cort Roedig (1-1, 4.05 ERA). He will be making his fifth start of the year.”
Elliott is good... but Tech did win the 1st time we faced him. The positive spin is our offense is capable of learning from the increased exposure to him. Getting his pitch count up will be key... IIRC we did that in 1st game (the win), failed to in the 2nd one (loss).

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah this matchup doesn’t have a huge impact on hosting/seeds. They have the inside track on that regardless. But it’s one of our last RPI boosting games so it would be nice to take it. 3-1 week probably gets us into the Top 10. And keeps us in the National Seed discussion.

Deleted member 2897

Yeah this matchup doesn’t have a huge impact on hosting/seeds. They have the inside track on that regardless. But it’s one of our last RPI boosting games so it would be nice to take it. 3-1 week probably gets us into the Top 10. And keeps us in the National Seed discussion.

We’ve had a lot of consistent, 2-1 series and very good play. But going back over the past month, we had a GREAT 2-0 over Auburn and a GREAT 2-1 series where we nearly swept Louisville on the road. That Louisville series is also the last time we won a game 1 ACC series. I’d really love another week with those types of results. 2-2 this week is good and we’ll hold serve on rankings. But dang I’m greedy and want more!