UGA - Clean Old-Fashioned Hate

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Why did we start Grissom when he was on a pitch count? He should have just came in relief. Dalton smith should have got the start!

Dalton Smith hasn't pitched at all since the Georgia Southern game and in his two appearances this year hasn't even thrown 50 pitches either time. You think he wouldn't have been on a pitch count?

Last edited:

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did we start Grissom when he was on a pitch count? He should have just came in relief. Dalton smith should have got the start!
I would argue that a guy you know is on a pitch count would be the best one to start. Because basically the guy behind him knows the game plan, and can get his “pregame” warmups done to basically be the second starter of the game.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
I would argue that a guy you know is on a pitch count would be the best one to start. Because basically the guy behind him knows the game plan, and can get his “pregame” warmups done to basically be the second starter of the game.
That game plan worked out great yesterday lol! Just stop

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Go check both our loses and come back to this. If it’s such a good game plan, why doesn’t the highest level of baseball like the MLB implement it every game?
This has feeling of an endless discussion but I'll play along. MLB does implement (at times) openers who get basically one trip through the order.

As for our losses... you're blaming the decision on who we started for those losses? The starters for our 2 Ls were Smith (your recommendation for Sun)
& Grissom.

We lost those games like most games lost... for a lot of reasons. Poor pitching (by multiple guys), defensive miscues, a sub par offensive performance. Coaching decisions "could" be in there too... the problem there is you can never see how the alternative would have worked out.

For record... & assuming he is healthy, I would have been fine with Smith starting. Sweeping UGA wasn't going to be easy no matter who started.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Go check both our loses and come back to this. If it’s such a good game plan, why doesn’t the highest level of baseball like the MLB implement it every game?

You do realize that the other game we lost was started by the guy you wanted to start yesterday, he couldn't get out of the 2nd inning, and he hasn't pitched since right? Like I asked before you don't think he'd be on a pitch count himself? I'm not sure we should be giving your takes on game planning much weight.

Have you looked to see if we've won any games this year while starting a pitcher on a pitch count? I'll help you out. The answer is yes. It's the beginning of the season. A lot of guys are on pitch counts. Some due to not being fully stretched out and some likely due to workload management. You gotta remember that Grissom missed more than half the season last year with injury and only threw 30 innings last year. Burning him out before conference play is probably not wise.

And are you seriously trying to imply that MLB teams don't implement strict pitch counts? What?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Thank you for posting, really. But I think the reality of college baseball (and should be more in HS) is that you need to be careful of overthrowing a pitcher. So most D1 teams have a pitch count limit. Especially early in the season since it's how you finish the season in the NCAAs which is remembered.

Vandy way overused their stud pitchers last year and they ran out of gas at the worst time.

Anyway, here's what I posted earlier about Grissom's pitching this year. He was hurt and limited last year. We really want him later in the year and NCAAs. So limiting his pitches, even if conservative, increases the chances he'll be in better form then as well as gives other guys a chance to get some early season innings.

As to starting, I may be in the minority, but I don't care who gets the honor of starting if they are only going to pitch 2-3 innings. Gotta win after 9.

1646740490774.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitching 5 days later to be put on a 50 pitch count in college baseball? Thats setting OUR team up for failure with an unproven bullpen on a Sunday. Our bullpen almost blew game one and then we’re forced to pitch 7 innings giving up 11 runs . They gave up 17 runs in three games this weekend against a bad uga offense.

I would agree with you if we were at the end of the season. We'll work this out if we keep pitching bunches of guys and stretching out those who rise up. That will prove the bullpen. We'll figure out the Sunday starter in the next 4-6 weeks probably.

But you have a good point about the entertainment value (i.e. inconsistency) of our pitching. No lead is safe and we can overcome most deficits.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would agree with you if we were at the end of the season. We'll work this out if we keep pitching bunches of guys and stretching out those who rise up. That will prove the bullpen. We'll figure out the Sunday starter in the next 4-6 weeks probably.

But you have a good point about the entertainment value (i.e. inconsistency) of our pitching. No lead is safe and we can overcome most deficits.
By definition (in college baseball) Sundays are a strain on the bullpen. Especially (as you note) early in the season. 3 games in 3 days will force most teams (even the good ones) to be scrambling a little with quality arms.

I'm not doing it, but I bet if you did a sampling of this & other fan forums, you'd find fans most up in arms (excuse the pun) after Sunday. The reason... coaches jacked up managing the pitching. 😃

We were all thrilled about the shutout on Saturday and full of praise for the great pitching. I guess it came at a cost.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The trend I have seen in AAA baseball is put the starter on a pitch count and then it seems that a different reliever is brought in almost every inning. Disclaimer: unless they are getting rocked and get pulled. The rosters in AAA are loaded mostly with pitchers. The 95+ guy is usually the late inning closer.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you pay any attention to the Tampa Bay Rays? They regularly roll out a short innings guy to start the game. He goes 2 innings and then gives way to a long reliever. It has been very successful for them. The Braves deployed the strategy a couple of times in the playoffs last year.