UGA at Suntrust (3rd of 3)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok.. final shot at the dreaded/hated bulldogs. THWG!!!!... with emphatic, heartfelt glorious hatred.

According to Warren Nolan (RPI) numbers:
#46 Ga Tech (27-21) v #4 UGA (33-14)

Lots at stake for Ga Tech. Need to stop the bleeding v UGA asap. A win prevents the sweep for the 2018 version of this rivalry. It also stops a longer losing streak going back some time (I refuse to actually get the number).

Of more immediate importance and implications to this season... Ga Tech needs a win to improve RPI and get another W (not an L) on the overall record...both of those things "help" with the resume should the selection committee have a "decision" to make regarding a possible NCAA tournament bid. Additionally, UGA is in process of making a case to host a regional. A loss (any loss) now can damage that possibility and any failings for UGA is good.

Premature...but, IF UGA gets to host AND Ga Tech gets into field... it is extremely likely Ga Tech will go to Athens for opening weekend of the tournament. Some may be hoping for this, I suppose... definitely makes 'travel' to see the action easier for more local (Atlanta) area folks. I'm not one of those... so, I'd rather see Tech go elsewhere for the tournament. UGA hosting (regardless) would irritate me... a lot!

Weather forecast is near perfect (High 70s at game time).

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Glad to see our RPI creeped up a little, even playing Radford.

Do we know who's pitching tomorrow, with usual Tuesday starter Hurter throwing yesterday?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see our RPI creeped up a little, even playing Radford.

Do we know who's pitching tomorrow, with usual Tuesday starter Hurter throwing yesterday?
I'm paraphrasing...but Coach Hall said the reason Hurter started Sunday (and not English) was because after the previous Sunday start (v Wake) English's arm was [more] "sore" than usual and they wanted to give it some extra rest. That's also why English was only DH'ing against Radford...never played 1B. Hall indicated he expected English to start against UGA tomorrow (assuming his arm recovered as expected).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
English has been the least steady of our weekend starters in any event. Here's hoping he can pitch deep into this game, or that Archer or Datoc can find some of their magic, because beyond that it gets very very dicey. Plus, about 10 runs would be nice.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
English has been the least steady of our weekend starters in any event. Here's hoping he can pitch deep into this game, or that Archer or Datoc can find some of their magic, because beyond that it gets very very dicey. Plus, about 10 runs would be nice.
Carpenter has been very good lately, but beyond him and Archer (occassionally Datoc and Winborne), I don't trust anyone in the pen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGAg has a great RPI but just made D1 Baseball's top 25 this week at #16. The reason they haven't gotten that much love from people (as opposed to RPI) is that they have lost a lot of games to weaker teams. Here's their record against different ranges of teams: (1-25 is top 25 they are 6-50):

1-25 6-5
26-50 9-2
51-100 12-6
101-200 4-0
201+ 2-1

UGAg has the #6 SOS, which win or lose means they are going to get a higher RPI. They do have a better record and have played better than we have; including two head to head embarrassments.

Piss on 'em.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
If we are going to beat them, seems like this would be the opportunity where we have the biggest advantage (and obviously the only one left this year).
1) We have a weekend starter going for us (cant find their starter listed)
2) They have FLA coming up next weekend and could be looking forward to that
3) We are in a desperate situation, fighting for our NCAA lives (although that didn't appear to have much affect against Radford)
4) Last time out they hit our top batter in the head and put him out of action for several games ...... revenge motive?
5) on paper, we are hot, having won 5 of last 6 (they have also won 5 of last 6 including a sweep @ mizzu)

Trying to look for the positive.

Deleted member 2897

We are hot? We struggled to beat radford university all three games.

While I agree with your sentiment 100%, I refuse to expose myself to factual information that conflicts with my biased reality.

giphy.gif