UCLA

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I only watched through 5th and went out. Agree UCLA played well and got the timely and numerous hits. Murray was either out of position or got a bad jump on a fly ball in the third. He makes that catch and we score with the bases loaded and its a different game. UCLA was just better today.

Hope we take the series tomorrow, we can do it if our bats come out.
The difference between a good team and a VERY good team is not just pitching, but pitching depth.

We have thrown our two best starters, so I am less than sanguine about our chances tomorrow.
I am happy we have rested pitchers in Hughes and English, but seriously worried about keeping the game close early.

Hope I am wrong again. HUGE difference between losing Sunday and winning (the series) in terms of national attention, self-respect, and momentum going forward.....

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The difference between a good team and a VERY good team is not just pitching, but pitching depth.

We have thrown our two best starters, so I am less than sanguine about our chances tomorrow.
I am happy we have rested pitchers in Hughes and English, but seriously worried about keeping the game close early.

Hope I am wrong again. HUGE difference between losing Sunday and winning (the series) in terms of national attention, self-respect, and momentum going forward.....
Here's hoping that this is the beginning of a breakout year for Hurter.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Our pitchers threw strikes. 7K and 2 BB. Overall 143 pitches and 94 strikes: 66%. We had no errors. But UCLA got 13 hits. Both teams left 7 on.

We played our game and it didn't work.

Of increasing concern is our BA for the season is only .228. Our players got 5 walks and 8 K. We are getting more patient. But we only had 4 hits.

Hopefully today we do break out the bats. We win this series and everyone will be talking about GT for the top 25. We have the recognized talent; just need the results.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our pitchers threw strikes. 7K and 2 BB. Overall 143 pitches and 94 strikes: 66%. We had no errors. But UCLA got 13 hits. Both teams left 7 on.

Of increasing concern is our BA for the season is only .228. Our players got 5 walks and 8 K. We are getting more patient. But we only had 4 hits.

Hopefully today we do break out the bats. We win this series and everyone will be talking about GT for the top 25. We have the recognized talent; just need the results.
UCLA had not given up an earned run in 4 games prior to this series. I'm going to "believe" the offense will be as we would expect (above average). The fact the pitching has looked so good so far is really exciting.

As others have said.... the OUTCOME of today's game will (for me) likely matter too much. At this point against such a consistently good team (UCLA), I should really be more concerned about process than results. The play after 2 games in this series has been really good. If that continues & we win today... outstanding. If that continues & we lose... the season's outlook is still quite positive.

Deleted member 2897

UCLA had not given up an earned run in 4 games prior to this series. I'm going to "believe" the offense will be as we would expect (above average). The fact the pitching has looked so good so far is really exciting.

As others have said.... the OUTCOME of today's game will (for me) likely matter too much. At this point against such a consistently good team (UCLA), I should really be more concerned about process than results. The play after 2 games in this series has been really good. If that continues & we win today... outstanding. If that continues & we lose... the season's outlook is still quite positive.

My only worry is if we are just playing to the level of our competition...and then we get blown out by a Richmond team. Gotta run the table or close to it on the lower teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My only worry is if we are just playing to the level of our competition...and then we get blown out by a Richmond team. Gotta run the table or close to it on the lower teams.

Exactly. The loss yesterday doesn't bother me since we played good, not great baseball. The loss to Richmond was inexcusable; players have said that they were looking to WVU and didn't take Richmond seriously.

Our BA opening weekend wasn't good. What I like is our approach at the plate. We were making contact to the wrong places; 10 GO and 8 FO. We got more walks than hits; UCLA is so big and fast they cover a lot more of the field than we do (Nick excepted). Both our runs were on sacs; so the batters did what they could.

As to process and results, I agree in theory. In practice though, that leads to accepting "quality" losses. Results matter. College baseball has such a short season that every game counts.

Again, win today and we are top 25. Lose and it confirms that we are mid 30's team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. The loss yesterday doesn't bother me since we played good, not great baseball. The loss to Richmond was inexcusable; players have said that they were looking to WVU and didn't take Richmond seriously.

Our BA opening weekend wasn't good. What I like is our approach at the plate. We were making contact to the wrong places; 10 GO and 8 FO. We got more walks than hits; UCLA is so big and fast they cover a lot more of the field than we do (Nick excepted). Both our runs were on sacs; so the batters did what they could.

As to process and results, I agree in theory. In practice though, that leads to accepting "quality" losses. Results matter. College baseball has such a short season that every game counts.

Again, win today and we are top 25. Lose and it confirms that we are mid 30's team.
Fully agree. Opening weekend BA was not good. Unfortunately, 3 games v UCLA isn't likely going to be "get right" time either. I believe (& time will tell), the BA/offense will show to be better in coming weeks despite these 1st 5-6 games.

Results & process matter. If this team plays to its potential consistently in all phases(process), the results will be the best we've seen in a decade, probably. Over time ... process & results align. Today... against a top 10 team, we could see a loss AND a well-executed game.

Related... last year, we rarely strung together 3 good weekend games. While I did not see yesterday's game, it sounded good enough to say IF we execute today, it will be 3 games of good/great baseball. The real bummer will be if that only results in 1 win.

Deleted member 2897

I guess GT doesnt want us to listen to the game of the Gameday App because for 3 days now, it's not worked one time for me

Me too. Sad.

Hurter is pitching a gem. Another elite baseball game so far. We’ve got a man on 3rd bottom 5 that we need to get in! 1-0 UCLA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

Can we play an errorless game?

Is that a rhetorical question? If not, I can answer for you: no. :D. On a more serious note, our YTD batting average is going to be a hair over the Mendoza Line after this game. Crazy. Feels like someone like Georgia State and Northwestern are going to get a bunch of 10-run barrages.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Another Hall-quick-pull illustration - we’re on our 3rd pitcher this inning. And it might just save the game.
We have some serious pitching depth this year.

Also, I know that we don't have any runs yet, but we only have 3 SO as a team so far with 2 being by the same player. The ball just isn't finding holes right now.

Deleted member 2897

We have some serious pitching depth this year.

Also, I know that we don't have any runs yet, but we only have 3 SO as a team so far with 2 being by the same player. The ball just isn't finding holes right now.

That’s what she said last night. I mean about the baseball game - git yur head out tha gutter.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan

Here's the challenge with these numbers each of those hits count in the 66% of strikes. When you give up that many hits you have to be in the 70% strike range, 60's even high 60's on a regular day won't do it. Yet another Sunday where we forget how a bat works. Didn't watch the whole game, kept up a lot with tweets but we had so many opportunities and just couldn't put it together.

Deleted member 2897

Lucky to not get swept. I won’t lose sleep wondering if we’re just playing to our competition...we’ll find out this week with Georgia State and Northwestern. I hope we put up 40+ runs this coming week.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, D1 Baseball said we had Omaha talent but had to show we know how to win.

We need to learn how play consistently. Maybe we will at some point. Early in the season but we haven't had a positive result. Maybe non-negative, but we are an average to good team maybe. Given there are 297 teams, that would put us in the 50-100 range.

Hope for better, expect less.