UCLA

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
https://ramblinwreck.com/mccanns-homer-upends-no-3-ucla-in-extras/

According to Hall (post-game), the doctor(s) did not believe Waddell had ligament damage. They were going to see how the knee progressed overnight & assess from there. He said "if he had to guess" Waddell wouldn't be available today (Sat). That all sounds way better than it looked.

Question related to this....The baseball team has "doctors" onsite available during or after games for this kind of thing OR does a player go to a medical facility? Just curious.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

According to Hall (post-game), the doctor(s) did not believe Waddell had ligament damage. They were going to see how the knee progressed overnight & assess from there. He said "if he had to guess" Waddell wouldn't be available today (Sat). That all sounds way better than it looked.

Question related to this....The baseball team has "doctors" onsite available during or after games for this kind of thing OR does a player go to a medical facility? Just curious.
There is a training room in the clubhouse so he probably had it looked at there by the team physician.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Waddell is essential to our team, both hitting and fielding. He's #18 best 2nd base in 297 teams for a reason. Agree that this sounds as good as it could.

Other notes:
  • It's too early in the season to say this team is going to be great, but last night's game was elite pitching and hitting by both teams. Aaron Fitt from D1 noted the grit this team has shown. Combine that with talent and good coaching and we can go anywhere.
  • Hall is much different this year in coaching, especially pulling the pitchers. And I like it :barefoot:(not that that matters to anyone other than me.) Even with depth of pitching, he has the quickest hook I have ever seen:
    • Pulling X after only 5 and only 91 pitches surprised me a bit especially for the first game of the weekend. I thought we'd see X for at least part of the 6th. But looking at X's line, he only threw 62% strikes (56 of 91) which is why he gave up 3 walks while SO of 4. I credit a lot of that to UCLA patience at the plate. And X didn't give up ANY extra base hits while giving up 5 singles. Only 1 ER - the other run he gave up was on the pick off "error" which put a runner at 3rd. But X didn't stop trying to pick off players(y)
    • Bartnicki was disappointing again facing 3 batters and throwing 3 strikes (3 of 7). After the walk he got pulled which again is lightning fast for Hall. Especially on Friday night.
    • Hughes was great after the first hitter who got a single and RBI - 9 BF and 2 Ks and a walk. Hughes can be so nasty, love it.
    • English was English. 3 shutout innings, 2 SOs and no walks. 21 of 29 pitches (72%) for strikes.
  • English represents the heart and soul of the team to me. (y)Total grit.(y) After fielding 8 innings, comes in and pitches at the elite level. He wears his emotions on his sleeve (and entire rest of his body). Just glad he's still playing for us and the MLB was too stupid to not draft him.
  • Once again we won in extra innings after giving up an unearned run that allowed it to go to extra innings. Why do GT teams have to be so interesting?:cry::banghead:
  • I really liked our approach at the plate. We weren't swinging for the fences. UCLA made some great D plays, so we only ended up with 7 hits (2 HRs). Against most other teams, I think we get another 2 hits easily. Their in-field is so big and covers so much ground they will have great fielding stats again this year. Nick had a great bunt in the 10th to get the runner to 2nd. With his BA, he needs to be good in that phase and is.
  • Our in-field play was very good last night. Not just no errors, but we made a lot of hard plays against a very fast running team. Serratos had the best plays and throws I've seen from him all year.(y) Austin had plays deep in the hole in the 8th and 11th that were superb.
  • We need to get fans in the seats. Have Collins consult on how to make the game exciting. But winning more should help. Sure it was lousy weather but there were very few fans shown on TV :poop: ........ speaking of which, Wiley was announcing the game on ACC Network but not on WREK.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke You've been consistent since I've been on this forum (a few years now) regarding your impatience with Hall keeping pitchers in too long. In some instances I've thought you were asking him to be too quick. But... I agree this (so far) is the most obvious & biggest difference in his approach to managing the game. I'd like to know if the change is a no-kidding change in philosophy (regardless of staff depth) OR he simply sees he has way more reliable options....which he obviously does.

Hughes (so far) is HUGE! I'm a sucker for what hopefully will play out to be a true "comeback" kind of season for him.

For jinx purposes, I'm not going to actually type anything about N.Wilhite yet to strike out. Only 4 game starter without a K. I hope this indicates the BA/OBP will actually end up significantly higher once sample size is up enough to see trends.

Deleted member 2897

Waddell is essential to our team, both hitting and fielding. He's #18 best 2nd base in 297 teams for a reason. Agree that this sounds as good as it could.

Other notes:
  • It's too early in the season to say this team is going to be great, but last night's game was elite pitching and hitting by both teams. Aaron Fitt from D1 noted the grit this team has shown. Combine that with talent and good coaching and we can go anywhere.
  • Hall is much different this year in coaching, especially pulling the pitchers. And I like it :barefoot:(not that that matters to anyone other than me.) Even with depth of pitching, he has the quickest hook I have ever seen:
    • Pulling X after only 5 and only 91 pitches surprised me a bit especially for the first game of the weekend. I thought we'd see X for at least part of the 6th. But looking at X's line, he only threw 62% strikes (56 of 91) which is why he gave up 3 walks while SO of 4. I credit a lot of that to UCLA patience at the plate. And X didn't give up ANY extra base hits while giving up 5 singles. Only 1 ER - the other run he gave up was on the pick off "error" which put a runner at 3rd. But X didn't stop trying to pick off players(y)
    • Bartnicki was disappointing again facing 3 batters and throwing 3 strikes (3 of 7). After the walk he got pulled which again is lightning fast for Hall. Especially on Friday night.
    • Hughes was great after the first hitter who got a single and RBI - 9 BF and 2 Ks and a walk. Hughes can be so nasty, love it.
    • English was English. 3 shutout innings, 2 SOs and no walks. 21 of 29 pitches (72%) for strikes.
  • English represents the heart and soul of the team to me. (y)Total grit.(y) After fielding 8 innings, comes in and pitches at the elite level. He wears his emotions on his sleeve (and entire rest of his body). Just glad he's still playing for us and the MLB was too stupid to not draft him.
  • Once again we won in extra innings after giving up an unearned run that allowed it to go to extra innings. Why do GT teams have to be so interesting?:cry::banghead:
  • I really liked our approach at the plate. We weren't swinging for the fences. UCLA made some great D plays, so we only ended up with 7 hits (2 HRs). Against most other teams, I think we get another 2 hits easily. Their in-field is so big and covers so much ground they will have great fielding stats again this year. Nick had a great bunt in the 10th to get the runner to 2nd. With his BA, he needs to be good in that phase and is.
  • Our in-field play was very good last night. Not just no errors, but we made a lot of hard plays against a very fast running team. Serratos had the best plays and throws I've seen from him all year.(y) Austin had plays deep in the hole in the 8th and 11th that were superb.
  • We need to get fans in the seats. Have Collins consult on how to make the game exciting. But winning more should help. Sure it was lousy weather but there were very few fans shown on TV :poop: ........ speaking of which, Wiley was announcing the game on ACC Network but not on WREK.

I’m going from way back memory, but I do seem to recall there were many times that we left a pitcher in who appeared to not have his best stuff on a particular day until they had already given up four or five runs. By that point the whole was Doug. That does seem to be a positive coaching change to me too.

Pastner can m also help with ideas to get fans in the seats. Just simple giveaways like free custom shirts or money on meal cards or food at the game - anything like that helps.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke You've been consistent since I've been on this forum (a few years now) regarding your impatience with Hall keeping pitchers in too long. In some instances I've thought you were asking him to be too quick. But... I agree this (so far) is the most obvious & biggest difference in his approach to managing the game. I'd like to know if the change is a no-kidding change in philosophy (regardless of staff depth) OR he simply sees he has way more reliable options....which he obviously does.

Hughes (so far) is HUGE! I'm a sucker for what hopefully will play out to be a true "comeback" kind of season for him.

For jinx purposes, I'm not going to actually type anything about N.Wilhite yet to strike out. Only 4 game starter without a K. I hope this indicates the BA/OBP will actually end up significantly higher once sample size is up enough to see trends.

I am consistent. A stopped clock is right twice a day is my thought. And some will say I stopped thinking a long time ago. I called for Serratos to be DH after his first weekend; hopefully he will show me to be stupid.

Nick is one of my favorite players; 14 AB with 2 hits and only one walk. He has one "SH" which is a balk or reach after a SO on passed ball? He more than makes up for the low BA in attitude and fielding in my mind.

The season is really young on BA stats. Other GT players who played in the 4 games and are below 200: Waddell, English, Serratos and Hall. But we all assume that the O will pick up as it usually does.

BTW, my earlier post ran too long so I left off that Hall made some really nice plays and hits last night.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am consistent. A stopped clock is right twice a day is my thought. And some will say I stopped thinking a long time ago. I called for Serratos to be DH after his first weekend; hopefully he will show me to be stupid.

Nick is one of my favorite players; 14 AB with 2 hits and only one walk. He has one "SH" which is a balk or reach after a SO on passed ball? He more than makes up for the low BA in attitude and fielding in my mind.

The season is really young on BA stats. Other GT players who played in the 4 games and are below 200: Waddell, English, Serratos and Hall. But we all assume that the O will pick up as it usually does.

BTW, my earlier post ran too long so I left off that Hall made some really nice plays and hits last night.
In stats...
SH=SAC BUNT
SF=SAC FLY

Batter cannot reach on a balk & reaching 1st after a K... is a K (i.e. counts as an AB... but I don't know how that affects OBP.. I think it's 0 for 1 all the way around).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m going from way back memory, but I do seem to recall there were many times that we left a pitcher in who appeared to not have his best stuff on a particular day until they had already given up four or five runs. By that point the whole was Doug. That does seem to be a positive coaching change to me too.

Pastner can m also help with ideas to get fans in the seats. Just simple giveaways like free custom shirts or money on meal cards or food at the game - anything like that helps.

Or this:
Ark-WatchingSongGirls.jpg

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Bad start for CT today. Going to be tough coming back from 6-1 so let's see what kind of grit this team really has.

Deleted member 2897

Well. I’m wondering if the 11th inning heroics are going to keep us from being swept.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Despite the score, the guys actually played pretty well today. No errors, only a couple of walks, and the guys were able to put the ball in play a lot but just couldn't find holes. It's baseball and that's going to happen. I have been very impressed with the bullpen so far in the series as well. Even if we lose tomorrow, this team has really shown me something this weekend.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Despite the score, the guys actually played pretty well today. No errors, only a couple of walks, and the guys were able to put the ball in play a lot but just couldn't find holes. It's baseball and that's going to happen. I have been very impressed with the bullpen so far in the series as well. Even if we lose tomorrow, this team has really shown me something this weekend.
Thanks. I was unable to see any action today. Checked live stats on my phone a few times. I was curious to know how it went.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That bottom 3rd inning did us in. Credit to UCLA for manufacturing runs with 2 outs. That's what good teams do

I only watched through 5th and went out. Agree UCLA played well and got the timely and numerous hits. Murray was either out of position or got a bad jump on a fly ball in the third. He makes that catch and we score with the bases loaded and its a different game. UCLA was just better today.

Hope we take the series tomorrow, we can do it if our bats come out.