UCLA season opener

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
-We need to learn how to run a fast break, I think we were about 1-5. Spacing was bad and I don’t think the lead man gave it up once

Yes, true. But, I assume this young team has been working on defense first. Floor spacing on the break is easily fixed. The good news is how many fast breaks we created mostly off of hustle and defense -- more than we've had in some entire seasons recently... (kidding).

/

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Our spacing on the final shot got really screwed up. Not sure if it was Jose, but someone was in the wrong place and made the shot more difficult.

Yes - also true.

Except, we actually have floor spacing and motion for most of the game. It got monkeyed up at the end, which was bad timing for that to happen. It's not like we weren't moving with a purpose for most of the game.

/

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d like to see the turnovers limited to single digits going forward. Once all of the freshmen get going this will be a strong team. Don’t be so hard on Justin, his dribble penetration opens up our shooters and he is steady with the ball. Jose will get even better as the year progresses and so will the other three freshmen. The offense was the reason for the loss last night, it was a few defensive lapse by the freshmen. This will be corrected as the learn to play the amoeba defense.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see the turnovers limited to single digits going forward. Once all of the freshmen get going this will be a strong team. Don’t be so hard on Justin, his dribble penetration opens up our shooters and he is steady with the ball. Jose will get even better as the year progresses and so will the other three freshmen. The offense was the reason for the loss last night, it was a few defensive lapse by the freshmen. This will be corrected as the learn to play the amoeba defense.

I'm very impressed by how in control JA plays. Justin is steady, but JA isn't reckless. I also really like the intangibles that JA brings. He hustles on D, gets in their grill, gets some steals and is generally a nuisance. I think JA will be the type of player that the rest of the ACC will think has been in the league for 6 years by the time he's a senior.

I agree with the issue being on D. I'm sure we're working really hard to install the system, but with a bunch of new players there is a learning curve. We let them score a few times where our wing defender was behind (slowly chasing) the guy he was guarding as the UCLA player was attacking the basket. I assume we're still learning responsibilities early in the season and that will get better fast.

/

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm very impressed by how in control JA plays. Justin is steady, but JA isn't reckless. I also really like the intangibles that JA brings. He hustles on D, gets in their grill, gets some steals and is generally a nuisance. I think JA will be the type of player that the rest of the ACC will think has been in the league for 6 years by the time he's a senior.

I agree with the issue being on D. I'm sure we're working really hard to install the system, but with a bunch of new players there is a learning curve. We let them score a few times where our wing defender was behind (slowly chasing) the guy he was guarding as the UCLA player was attacking the basket. I assume we're still learning responsibilities early in the season and that will get better fast.

/
What happens a lot with freshmen is they tend to overplay or over rotate in the zone. That puts more pressure on the other players to cover a skip pass or a quick swing to a shooter. It will be corrected going forward.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Jose played like I thought he would, Ben is a beast, crazy his development from fr year to now in all aspects passing, dribbling, making plays, scoring. No one else rlly worth mentioning at this point. With Tadric and Wade we win last night easily. All in all cant be dissapointed with 3 pt loss to ranked team without 2 of 3 best players. This team has alot of potential. In my opinion Cole and Curtis will be key to get us to where we want to be. They need to be the consistant shooters we need them to be. Shoot it with confidence!! Shooting is 90% mental!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts.

Ben is a stud. Complete game and his mid range j is money. Wish he had a bit more of a low post game to force the doubles down a bit lower but that's nit picking. He's so fun to watch.
Alston played a heady game understanding that he could help the team by getting to the FT line and that without Okogie and Jackson he needed to force the issue a bit more than normal. That being said, imo, as the season goes on his minutes will drop. Not just from Okogie and Jackson, but as Moore and Haywood develop. from what I saw I'm just not sure if Alston has the skills that we need to be more than a 7-8 minute back up once ACC play starts. Liked the way he played yesterday though.

Speaking of Moore, I don't think he played nearly as bad as others. He was far more under control than last year, had 3 asts to 0 turnovers, and his shots were all good shots, even the three he took towards the end of the shot clock. The 3 was ugly though, and he needs to learn how to finish. Not going to judge too much on the team running aspect when we didn't have the two threats on the wing that we have.

I thought AD had a low key good game. Two ill advised shots, but he's there to defend and rebound and I thought he did both pretty well. Obviously his offensive game is lacking, and without Okogie and Jackson that is really bad. But once those two return I think he will be very valuable and his limitations on offense won't be as big a deal because he'll be a clear 5th option scoring wise.

For the freshmen, Alvarado was awesome. 12 pts on 50% shooting, 7 rebs, no turnovers. Like with Moore not going to judge his overall running of the offense until I see us play at full strength. Defense was usually pretty good and made some nice plays.

The other 3 all showed flashes but all still need some time to adjust. I thought Wright showed good aggressiveness and made some nice moves to get good looks but couldn't finish. He wasn't as active on the boards as I would like and defensively he's still learning. IMO he's hurt a bit by having to play the 3, and should do better once Okogie and Jackson come back. OF the other 3 I think Wright has the best idea of what we need from him and how he fits in. Cole was far too passive in the first half and needs to learn that if he isn't looking for his shot on offense then he's not bringing much to the table right now. Weakest of the freshmen defensively imo. Second half was better though. Better off the ball movement and some nice hustle plays. Some stuff to build around but needs to find his grove at this level. Haywood has a nice stroke but needs to have better court awareness and stop drifting so far out. Needs to be better on the boards and rebound more. I think he has the range to hit those shots he took from deep but at least two were that deep just because he drifted out.

All in all though good game. I thought everyone showed what the staff saw in them, and we have to remember that this is just one game and some of the weaknesses we saw might not be there going forward consistently. Now just need to get Okogie and Jackson back and start building full team chemistry,

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
And my thoughts...

I thought we looked pretty good all things considered. The team definitely had the Pastner stamp on it. Nice to see consistency.

At several times we had four freshmen and Lammers in there. Frightening, but nice to see they held it together playing against a good UCLA team that will only get better, like us. Wilkes is going to be a star. In addition to several seasoned big men they played two burger boys starting.

Lammers has actually gotten better. Played most of the game, as usual.

Very impressed by Alvarado, who had an excellent second half once he g0t his sea legs. Even though he was tentative I believe Cole will contribute this season. Wright moved well, but will hopefully get better and be able to contribute points.

Moore still can't shoot, but contributes on the floor. Was hoping he had developed a shot in the off season.

Alston was a nice surprise. He plays with a lot of aggressiveness and passion. Will contribute a lot this season, especially with the two guys out.

AD plays very good defense, but doesn't add much on the offensive side. Very good backup player, and has needed experience for now.

Feeling much better about the team for this season.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
One thing that was missing last night was someone who could drive the lane. That's where JO and TJ will help a lot. Need to be better defensively on the 2nd chance points for the other team. They had a lot of put backs. Alvarado just needs more playing time with these guys. He was out of place a lot but that will develop as he plays in the system. He was chasing the ball around for the final shot but he would have been better served trying to get open.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I figured they were judging from JO shooting some threes in videos with the cast on but could be wrong.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watched the full game today.
For having to play FR for 83 min the defense was pretty solid. as expected without JO and Tad the offense was an adventure. UCLA realized in the second half to blanket Lammers and let anybody but him beat them.
It felt like UCLA was in control most of the game, but never dominating enough to win easily- just leaving the door open and GT almost walked through it.
I like the potential of all 4 FR. If we didn't need to rely on them until they were SO or JR like ND does with their FR then i think they would all be just fine.

Thoughts on Players.
Alvarado - very quiet first half, a couple of fouls, no offense, but solid with the ball and defense was OK. He was arguably the biggest player in the game the last 10 min. Made some big shots, got some steals, ran with the ball well. Like all the FR he was out of position at times, but loved his hustle. He has a reputation as a gamer and you can see it. He wanted to play big late. His 2nd three was ridiculous- he was fading to one side and his release was almost sideways but it went in. Also, 7 rebounds - way to listen to coach.

Moore- Does a good job handling the ball, made good decisions. His shot looks better this year but it doesn't look like he has confidence in it. Plays solid defense. I still think his time goes down as the season wears on.

Haywood - Had a beautiful basket on a nice cut and his first three was a thing of beauty. His last 2 three attempts he was a step and a half too far out with no one close to him - bad situational awareness - but something that is very fixable. His form on his shot is gorgeous, every shot out of his hand looks like it should go in. Needs to be more active on the boards. Still looks tentative, not a bad thing for a FR. Nice long term potential. Another one whose time will diminish, but i could see it rebounding late in the season.

Alston - He reminds me with his game of a bigger Tad. He was a competent 3 shooter at Leheigh, but most of his film showed him being really good at getting into the lane and hitting 8 ft. That was his best offense today. Got to the line doing that. Way too loose with the ball though and defense is ok.

Lammers - not really much to say. Best player on the team.

AD - Really good defensive player and he look a little taller and thicker. Not much offense but his defense is fun to watch. When he and Lammers are in the game together it is difficult to score inside on GT. Very active guy. He will really benefit from Tad and JO's return as he can simply focus on being a great defensive player and not worry about offense. He had one nice move in the paint where the basket was waived off due to taking one too many steps. He doesn't operate well from high post, needs to be close to the basket.

Wright - He was active and aggressive but had little to show for it. A number of rim outs close in. No defensive rebounds. Love this kids long terms potential. He will look great against some smaller and less athletic teams, but is going to struggle against guys that are bigger or can match his athleticism.

Cole - Not the athlete AD or Wright is, but has some nice offensive skills. Showed good hustle at times. Like Haywood he has a shot that just looks good when it leaves his hand. Looked lost on defense a few times. Had a tough fall - missed 8 days of practice due to a concussion and Walton mentioned he missed practice time in China due to being sick. Hard to get better when you are missing alot of practice.

I'm always disappointed to lose, but i'm not discouraged. There were some positives and there will be plenty of film to go over. If this program was more mature where we didn't need these FR to suck up alot of min we would feel better about them as long term prospects as they all showed signs of being able to contribute long term. Every one that got to play made contributions and got solid min. That will be beneficial down the road.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Watched the full game today.
For having to play FR for 83 min the defense was pretty solid. as expected without JO and Tad the offense was an adventure. UCLA realized in the second half to blanket Lammers and let anybody but him beat them.
It felt like UCLA was in control most of the game, but never dominating enough to win easily- just leaving the door open and GT almost walked through it.
I like the potential of all 4 FR. If we didn't need to rely on them until they were SO or JR like ND does with their FR then i think they would all be just fine.

Thoughts on Players.
Alvarado - very quiet first half, a couple of fouls, no offense, but solid with the ball and defense was OK. He was arguably the biggest player in the game the last 10 min. Made some big shots, got some steals, ran with the ball well. Like all the FR he was out of position at times, but loved his hustle. He has a reputation as a gamer and you can see it. He wanted to play big late. His 2nd three was ridiculous- he was fading to one side and his release was almost sideways but it went in. Also, 7 rebounds - way to listen to coach.

Moore- Does a good job handling the ball, made good decisions. His shot looks better this year but it doesn't look like he has confidence in it. Plays solid defense. I still think his time goes down as the season wears on.

Haywood - Had a beautiful basket on a nice cut and his first three was a thing of beauty. His last 2 three attempts he was a step and a half too far out with no one close to him - bad situational awareness - but something that is very fixable. His form on his shot is gorgeous, every shot out of his hand looks like it should go in. Needs to be more active on the boards. Still looks tentative, not a bad thing for a FR. Nice long term potential. Another one whose time will diminish, but i could see it rebounding late in the season.

Alston - He reminds me with his game of a bigger Tad. He was a competent 3 shooter at Leheigh, but most of his film showed him being really good at getting into the lane and hitting 8 ft. That was his best offense today. Got to the line doing that. Way too loose with the ball though and defense is ok.

Lammers - not really much to say. Best player on the team.

AD - Really good defensive player and he look a little taller and thicker. Not much offense but his defense is fun to watch. When he and Lammers are in the game together it is difficult to score inside on GT. Very active guy. He will really benefit from Tad and JO's return as he can simply focus on being a great defensive player and not worry about offense. He had one nice move in the paint where the basket was waived off due to taking one too many steps. He doesn't operate well from high post, needs to be close to the basket.

Wright - He was active and aggressive but had little to show for it. A number of rim outs close in. No defensive rebounds. Love this kids long terms potential. He will look great against some smaller and less athletic teams, but is going to struggle against guys that are bigger or can match his athleticism.

Cole - Not the athlete AD or Wright is, but has some nice offensive skills. Showed good hustle at times. Like Haywood he has a shot that just looks good when it leaves his hand. Looked lost on defense a few times. Had a tough fall - missed 8 days of practice due to a concussion and Walton mentioned he missed practice time in China due to being sick. Hard to get better when you are missing alot of practice.

I'm always disappointed to lose, but i'm not discouraged. There were some positives and there will be plenty of film to go over. If this program was more mature where we didn't need these FR to suck up alot of min we would feel better about them as long term prospects as they all showed signs of being able to contribute long term. Every one that got to play made contributions and got solid min. That will be beneficial down the road.
Nice. Thanks.

GT_EE78

Banned
Also I thought Walton did a good job. He’s a goofball, but I appreciate that he did his homework and was thoughtful and balanced (even though clearly a Bruin).

/
Walton? really? if he could stop blabbing about jerry garcia and climate change we could probably enjoy a basketball game more.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose looked great and will only get better as he learns to "pick his spots"...he played under control...didn't over penetrate and scored it enough too keep the floor spread.Haywood will be efficient all year...he's confident and under control has the skills and athletic ability to make plays and can shoot.Alston's role will diminish once TJ and JO return but gives them a competent guy who can score off the bench.Cole looked great and will only improve...he's a versatile player who also can shoot.He'll be a stud forward for years to come.Wright needs to stay under control offensively...he's very capable but needs to play within the system.His upside defensively is immense and it's only a matter of time...the staff will take care of that.AD also looked very much improved...he really effected the game defensively as a big who rim protects yet moves his feet on the perimeter and uses his length to create havoc in the passing lanes and challenging jump shots.His offense is coming...jump hook going right is his move,I hope he hangs around next year...we'll need him.What can you say about Ben...I want to see him shoot it like that again...but talk about doing it on the biggest stage vs. a very big capable frontline...he truly is amazing.We truly can play through and too him and he's good enough to carry this team when we need him too.Moore looked confident...has improved his shot mechanics which you saw up close when he was at the line...he needs to MAKE a few to be considered solid...he's competent at this point but you need him to be able to take the shot with confidence to retain the integrity of the offense.Luckily for him most of Tech's offense is geared towards backdoor cuts and movement which are strengths of his.He'll be effective by next year if he's still around and even better the following year just going to take a little time.The return of a 100% healthy Ves is integral to us taking the next step...He'll play behind and alongside Ben and be able to score around the cup and defend it.If we had Okogie and Jackson last night we would have been able to score it more...get stops...match them athletically on the perimeter...JO would have been able to slow Wilkes down most likely...I'm optimistic about this team as long as Ben stays healthy.The biggest reason for my optimism wasn't about players though...it was about CJP system...you saw the same vicious cutting ball movement driven positionless basketball even sharper than last year...the same hard nosed intelligent defense...low turnovers considering...

They'll be better than last year...by far and come March we'll be dancin' ...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jose looked great and will only get better as he learns to "pick his spots"...he played under control...didn't over penetrate and scored it enough too keep the floor spread.Haywood will be efficient all year...he's confident and under control has the skills and athletic ability to make plays and can shoot.Alston's role will diminish once TJ and JO return but gives them a competent get who can score off the bench.Cole looked great and will only improve...he's a versatile player who also can shoot.He'll be a stud forward for years to come.Wright needs to stay under control offensively...he's very capable but needs to play within the system.His upside defensively is immense and it's only a matter of time...the staff will take care of that.AD also looked very much improved...he really effected the game defensively as a big who rim protects yet moves his feet on the perimeter and uses his length to create havoc in the passing lanes and challenging jump shots.His offense is coming...jump hook going right is his move,I hope he hangs around next year...we'll need him.What can you say about Ben...I want to see him shoot it like that again...but talk about doing it on the biggest stage vs. a very big capable frontline...he truly is amazing.We truly can play through and too him and he's good enough to carry this team when we need him too.Moore looked confident...has improved his shot mechanics which you saw up close when he was at the line...he needs to MAKE a few to be considered solid...he's competent at this point but you need him to be able to take the shot with confidence to retain the integrity of the offense.Luckily for him most of Tech's offense is geared towards backdoor cuts and movement which are strengths of his.He'll be effective by next year if he's still around and even better the following year just going to take a little time.The return of a 100% healthy Ves is integral to us taking the next step...He'll play behind and alongside Ben and be able to score around the cup and defend it.If we had Okogie and Jackson last night we would have been able to score it more...get stops...match them athletically on the perimeter...JO would have been able to slow Wilkes down most likely...I'm optimistic about this team as long as Ben stays healthy.The biggest reason for my optimism wasn't about players though...it was about CJP system...you saw the same vicious cutting ball movement driven motionless basketball even sharper than last year...the same hard nosed intelligent defense...low turnovers considering...

They'll be better than last year...by far and come March we'll be dancin' ...
It's OK to make paragraphs.