UCLA season opener

alagold

Helluva Engineer
btw-it will be interesting to see how Bill Walton spins this ucla story.I'm thinking he throws Jackson and Josh in with the Bruin players as "bad" foolish boys.Of course,our guys didn't BREAK A LAW! small difference--hmmm

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Here is my little UCLA-GT breakdown.
Bruins have:
PG-5 Star freshman, mickey d's all-American Jaylen Hands...enough said.
PG^2 (SG)-Aaron Holiday, brother of NBA's Jrue and Justin. 6th Man of the year last year after starting as a freshman. Coach has said he is "supposed" to be more of the scorer and Hands faciliates for the back court in the early season.
SF-5 star Kris Wilkes out of Indy. Straight up baller and was starting over Liangelo anyways.
PF-It was up to debate on who was getting the PT here but with Cody Riley getting into trouble as you all know, it should go to the 3 star senior out of out of Hungary, Gyorgy Goloman. He started in the exhibitions...ehh wasn't that impressed.
C-Thomas Welsh, the big 7 foot center who expanded his range to the 3 point line in the off-season. Will be fun to watch him and Ben in the battle of stiff white guys who are actually ballers (Ben's gunna win :) )

What I want to see:
•1st and most important: all the guys played fired up and get it done (obviously)
•the freshman play well, especially Moses Wright. I think we can take advantage of the PF position.
•Moore feels inspired to out duel his San Diego, point guard counter part.
•Evan drops 30 points in 10 mins off the bench(It is going to happen without a doubt)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Ringer: College Basketball’s 2017-18 National Player of the Year Will Be One of These 18 Candidates

Great opening paragraph with UCLA and GT references
I'll be damned. It’s really here. After an offseason that felt like it lasted for an eternity—in which Thad Matta and Rick Pitino were both fired, Marvin Bagley III waited until the very last second to announce his commitment to Duke, Mitchell Robinson transferred to and from Western Kentucky roughly 30 different times, LiAngelo Ball became the nation’s leader in steals before ever playing a game, the NCAA gave a middle finger to NC State with one hand while patting North Carolina on the back with the other, John Calipari suspended his podcast, an FBI probe shook the entire sport to its core, Josh Pastner was blackmailed because he didn’t tell his friend happy birthday, Purdue almost won an international title before ever winning a national championship, Kyle Guy cut off his man bun, and Dan Dakich insulted six different people on Twitter by calling them a “fly on an elephants ***”—it’s finally arrived. Now the buzz is not only palpable, it’s through the ceiling and the roof. COLLEGE BASKETBALL IS BACK!!!

Then The Hammer shows up as a POY candidate
The Dark-Horse Candidates
Ben Lammers, Georgia Tech
I know—I can’t fathom living in a world where Josh Pastner coaches the national player of the year, either. But there’s a way that it could happen. On top of being one of the best defenders in America (3.4 blocks and 1.2 steals per game) in 2016-17, Lammers averaged 14.2 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 2.1 assists. And now that Georgia Tech’s other returning double-digit scorers (Josh Okogie and Tadric Jackson) are suspended indefinitely for receiving impermissible benefits, Lammers’s numbers should get an inevitable boost as he’s asked to do more.

Here’s the good news for Lammers’s case: He could conceivably average 15 points, 10 rebounds, three assists, and three blocks per game for an entire season, and Tim Duncan is the only power-conference player since 1992-93to put up those kind of stats. The bad news: Team success matters in the national POY race, and Georgia Tech will probably be a mess if Okogie and Jackson miss a lot of time.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
its going to be rough on this old timer. as most older folks know its harder on us to fall asleep let alone after a late night game. my head will be 'buzzing' heh. win or lose.

than to make matters worse i have to ramp it up once again by noon time for the fb jackets.

here's hoping we make it a sweep and put the fear of the jackets in those road scholar dwags in orange.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
btw-it will be interesting to see how Bill Walton spins this ucla story.I'm thinking he throws Jackson and Josh in with the Bruin players as "bad" foolish boys.

I am going to give Bill Walton the benefit of the doubt - im looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

/

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bruins have:
PG^2 (SG)-Aaron Holiday, brother of NBA's Jrue and Justin. 6th Man of the year last year after starting as a freshman. Coach has said he is "supposed" to be more of the scorer and Hands faciliates for the back court in the early season.
SF-5 star Kris Wilkes out of Indy. Straight up baller and was starting over Liangelo anyways.
PF-It was up to debate on who was getting the PT here but with Cody Riley getting into trouble as you all know, it should go to the 3 star senior out of out of Hungary, Gyorgy Goloman. He started in the exhibitions...ehh wasn't that impressed.
C-Thomas Welsh, the big 7 foot center who expanded his range to the 3 point line in the off-season. Will be fun to watch him and Ben in the battle of stiff white guys who are actually ballers (Ben's gunna win :) )

What I want to see:
•1st and most important: all the guys played fired up and get it done (obviously)
•the freshman play well, especially Moses Wright. I think we can take advantage of the PF position.
•Evan drops 30 points in 10 mins off the bench(It is going to happen without a doubt)
Chason...Good analysis...I'm with you on all points.

Nice take on the San Diego duel...I do think Justin will be even more amped than normal.

Good luck to your buddy Evan in his first "real" NCAA game. Hopefully he drops 30 and dunks on a 5 star (or two)!!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We open as a 7.5 pt dog.

I’d lay those points. I think Holiday is going to have a big night. We are going to have trouble scoring

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, I hate to say it, but it looks like a UCLA lock. IMO, it’s way too low with our two primary scorers back in Atlanta. You know what that means....

GT with the backdoor cover in Shanghai!!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think Lammers helps us win this game by drawing doubles and forcing them to leave shooters open, plus a lot of backdoor cuts when Ben has it up top.
We have shooters beside Tadic and JO? Well, I guess we do, the question is do we have *scorers*?

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Bruins have:

What I want to see:
Article from today basically saying what is above....hey FTRS visting GTSwarm (y)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UCLA favored by 7.5. Jackets looking for the upset.

FWIW Navy is favored over Pitt by 2. :eek: Going to be a looooooong year for Stallings :(

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know if we can buy a copy of the T-shirt worn by the players and coaches during the China trip?