Tucker Gleason

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Just a question. Does anyone have the inside track on why he has not been given a shot?

There was a highlight of him just before the start of the season throwing a rope to Ryan King. I know he comes from a well coached school.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No inside info here. My suspicion is that the staff is just clearly convinced that Sims is the guy and they want him to get the reps for next year. Gleason should get some mop up duty like Graham and Yates have. QB2 may still be a competition.

Deleted member 2897

As a reminder, proper protocol for this type of a post is to name the thread something like:

"A question about Tucker Gleason who is not injured, not in the transfer portal, hasn't been seen in any negative way on social media, and there is no video or picture evidence of any injury or other negative situation."

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Someone asked this question recently on Twitter and Kelly Q responded " We will soon get an answer".

I am making a butt of myself by assuming... but it seems like a transfer candidate. Especially with Graham as now the solid backup to Sims.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just a question. Does anyone have the inside track on why he has not been given a shot?

In terms of insider knowledge no. Before the year there were some quotes that hinted at one QB somewhat separating himself from the pack. At this point it is safe to assume that was Sims. With the staff's seeming acceptance of letting him work through his mistakes with turnovers in game, that tells me the other QBs were more than a little behind him in being able to move the ball. As far as why he hasn't gotten back up time, the staff may be doing with the back ups what they did last year with the starters and giving each player some time to see. Yates got the first bit of attempts. Graham got the second. Wouldn't surprise me to see Gleason be the first QB off the bench the next time we have a reason to go there. Against UCF the staff likely wanted Sims to keep getting some game reps, and against FSU and UL we were winning, but not by a comfortable enough margin late to go for back ups.

That's my best guess at least.

Welcome to the new college football 2020. It would not surprise me if we soon see a RB in the transfer portal. In a place where all these guys think they are or should be off to the NFL they will transfer instead of trying to work hard and wait their turn.

Marcus Marshal come to mind of a player that got terrible advice from somebody when he left tech after 2016. If he had stayed he would have been the feature back. Instead he went to JMU and never earned a starting role and as such is no longer in the NFL practice world.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the new college football 2020. It would not surprise me if we soon see a RB in the transfer portal. In a place where all these guys think they are or should be off to the NFL they will transfer instead of trying to work hard and wait their turn.

Marcus Marshal come to mind of a player that got terrible advice from somebody when he left tech after 2016. If he had stayed he would have been the feature back. Instead he went to JMU and never earned a starting role and as such is no longer in the NFL practice world.
At this point Gleasons hardwork won't pay off unless Sims were to get injured. He has 2 young QBs ahead of him in a year where the year doesn't count towards eligibility at all.
If Gleason is truly behind Sims and Graham, and Graham has decided to stay I can see Gleason leaving for another program. I hate it, as I think he has a ton of potential, but the staff seems to be sold on Sims.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I've never understood the folks who think a coach will play a worse player over a better (save coach smart 72 miles away). Sims being named the starter from day one, over Graham, proves he is at the top of the qb mountain. And if a guy can't get it done in practice, what makes you think he can do it in a game? "You stink in practice, but we're gonna put you in as a starter because you deserve a chance." Give me a break.

Does Sims need work? Absolutely. But why throw in a guy who needs even more work? It sucks for Tucker, but the onus is on HIM to do everything he can to improve. HE has to put the work in. HE has to beat Sims in the weightroom (effort wise), filmroom and practice field. If not, that's his decision too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At this point Gleasons hardwork won't pay off unless Sims were to get injured. He has 2 young QBs ahead of him in a year where the year doesn't count towards eligibility at all.
If Gleason is truly behind Sims and Graham, and Graham has decided to stay I can see Gleason leaving for another program. I hate it, as I think he has a ton of potential, but the staff seems to be sold on Sims.
We will never know what kind of recruiting promises were made to lure Sims to come will we. Lots of teams must have been after him. If Gleason doesn't even get a chance this year I can understand why he would want to leave.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I wouldn't say he got terrible advice. As a freshman he was passed over not for a better running back, but for a transfer fullback with almost no experience carrying the ball. As a sophomore he got passed over for a freshman who couldn't follow team rules to stay on the field. Marshall made the decision to leave long before Mills was kicked, and so couldn't factor that in. The issue in that situation is going with and sticking with Skov and Mills, not with Marshall's decision.

Anyways in this situation we have 3 freshman and a sophomore QB. Transfers are in the future and were always going to be the case. There was no way around it. There was no way to keep everyone happy and what is best for GT is to find the guy who will be the long term solution and go all in on them.