Tucker Gleason

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My only gripe with not seeing Gleason is we seem to be wasting a free year. Since this season doesn't count we could theoretically be playing him some in every game to give him game reps and then redshirt him next season. It's not like we haven't had ample garbage time to insert him into.

Theoretically we could, and you could say the same thing about all 4 QBs but why would we? We're not going to be using 4 QBs and in all likelihood at most 2 of the 4 will be able to be significant contributors for us going forward. If the staff had no idea who was the best then it might make sense to give all 4 equal time to find the best, but the staff clearly believes Sims is the best. Now maybe you disagree with that conclusion, but if that conclusion has been made then there is no reason to take away snaps from a true freshman who you believe will be a starter next year and give them to a true freshman who you think will redshirt next year and might be the starter a couple years down the line. The same would hold true if anyone was the clear favorite to start next year by the way.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's remember that Gleason is a true freshman who basically did not have a spring and summer. Maybe the staff feels he is not ready at this time. I am willing to bet that he, along with some of our other true freshmen, get a little playing time as the season progresses. However, I think this will be in mop up time as the staff is all in on Sims and Sims needs as as much experience as he can get.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
My only gripe with not seeing Gleason is we seem to be wasting a free year. Since this season doesn't count we could theoretically be playing him some in every game to give him game reps and then redshirt him next season. It's not like we haven't had ample garbage time to insert him into.
I actually look at it as quite the opposite. If the staff truly believes that Sims is the QB of the future, then getting him as many reps as possible in a "free year" is the absolute best thing that could happen. I do think Gleason should come in when we make a change because a game is getting out of hand or if Sims is having a bad day, if nothing else but just to get him some reps. That doesn't happen every game though. I still think there is more to it and if he was truly the #2 QB he would be getting those reps. If he was outperforming Yates in practice, then I think we would be seeing him as QB2 in games. If he is performing worse than what we've seen from Yates when he comes in, then I can understand why he hasn't seen the field yet.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of those turnovers are not on Sims directly I would also say the staff has put the freshman qb in some tough positions. Sims has played very well given the circumstance and honestly has shined.

One thing that I watched that frustrates me a bit is that the offense I watched with Graham was smoother than the offense I watch with Sims. I’d like to see more of that run action with Sims incorporated. I realize Graham is a more natural runner but the offense just ran a tad bit smoother with more rhythm. CDP scares me with his playcallling at times with his quest for balance.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
First off his issues fumbling the ball were greatly exaggerated. The fumble excuse is always a bit ironic to me because against BC Marshall carried the ball like 6 out of 7 plays to help us move the ball

Second, Skov should never have gotten near the number of carries. That was just absurd. And even when Skov basically stopped getting carries Marshall struggled to get to double digit carries

As far as the next year Mills was good, but not nearly as good as people make him out to be. He averaged 5.2 ypc which was similar levels to like Sims and Laskey. For comparison in the 4 games he sat and Marshall got full starter carries he averaged 6.2 yards per carry. After 143 yards against VT and 127 against UVA, Marshall had 2 carries in the first half of the UGA game.

Marshall as a freshman averaged 7.6 yards per carry. As a sophomore he averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Those are absurd numbers and he had no chance at getting featured back number of carries here. Nobody should blame him for transferring.
Marshall had one of the MOST impressive signing interviews I have EVER heard from a hi school guy.! With his smarts and ability I thought the sky was the limit.Somehow I think he got screwed to some extent.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
First off his issues fumbling the ball were greatly exaggerated. The fumble excuse is always a bit ironic to me because against BC Marshall carried the ball like 6 out of 7 plays to help us move the ball

Second, Skov should never have gotten near the number of carries. That was just absurd. And even when Skov basically stopped getting carries Marshall struggled to get to double digit carries

As far as the next year Mills was good, but not nearly as good as people make him out to be. He averaged 5.2 ypc which was similar levels to like Sims and Laskey. For comparison in the 4 games he sat and Marshall got full starter carries he averaged 6.2 yards per carry. After 143 yards against VT and 127 against UVA, Marshall had 2 carries in the first half of the UGA game.

Marshall as a freshman averaged 7.6 yards per carry. As a sophomore he averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Those are absurd numbers and he had no chance at getting featured back number of carries here. Nobody should blame him for transferring.
It's because you don't understand the last offense.
The B-Backs first responsibility was to keep the offense on track. Don't lose yards and generally be good for 3 yards per carry. Mills was absolute money in this aspect.

Marshall had some jets on him and when he was sprung loose, he could take it to the house, but he clearly was not as good as mills at the consistent 3-4 yards.

JD and to an extent Anthony Allen combined both of those attributes, but without the first quality, a player could not be an effective B-Back.

Hope this helps.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
So I didn't read the whole thread, was there any more to Tucker leaving other than an emotional dad talking in the heat of the moment?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's because you don't understand the last offense.
The B-Backs first responsibility was to keep the offense on track. Don't lose yards and generally be good for 3 yards per carry. Mills was absolute money in this aspect.

No I don't misunderstand the last offense. But you are misunderstanding the topic being discussed.

The argument made was that Marshall received bad advice when he chose to leave. Even if I assume your argument was true, all that means is that Marshall was clearly not what Johnson wanted, and so he was justified in leaving rather than it being due to bad advice.

That being said, here is how Mills started his first game, in order of carries. (I'm going by espn play by play fwiw)

no gain
2 yards
-4 yards
1 yard
2 yards

In total of his 18 carries, half were less than 3 yards. (50%)

Against Vandy 4 of his 14 were less than 3 yards (28.57%)
Against Clemson 5 of his 15 (not counting the 2 yard TD run because he couldn't get more than 2 yards). (33.3%)
Against Miami it was 7 of 18 (again not counting a 1 yard TD run because he couldn't have gotten more). (38.89%)
Against Pitt - 6 of 15. (40%)
Against GSU - 5 of 13 (38.46%)
Against UNC - 4 of 19 (21.05%)
Against UK - 4 of 31 (12.9%)

Now here is how Marshall did when he got starter carries.

Mercer - 1 out of 10 carries were less than 3 yards. (10%)
Duke - 6 out of 13 (46%)
VT - 3 out of 19 (15.8%)
UVA - 3 out of 16 (18.75%)

Against UGA Mills was 2 of 7 (28.57%) and Marshall was 2 of 9 (22%) although I wouldn't really look at either of those as starter level carries.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the new college football 2020. It would not surprise me if we soon see a RB in the transfer portal. In a place where all these guys think they are or should be off to the NFL they will transfer instead of trying to work hard and wait their turn.

Marcus Marshal come to mind of a player that got terrible advice from somebody when he left tech after 2016. If he had stayed he would have been the feature back. Instead he went to JMU and never earned a starting role and as such is no longer in the NFL practice world.
Will probably be 2 or 3 RBs in the portal. We could have our top 4 back next year and I think we’re carrying 6 or 7.

I imagine at least 1 QB is gone.

And guessing we have 7 or 8 total by the end of spring practice.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
No I don't misunderstand the last offense. But you are misunderstanding the topic being discussed.

The argument made was that Marshall received bad advice when he chose to leave. Even if I assume your argument was true, all that means is that Marshall was clearly not what Johnson wanted, and so he was justified in leaving rather than it being due to bad advice.

That being said, here is how Mills started his first game, in order of carries. (I'm going by espn play by play fwiw)

no gain
2 yards
-4 yards
1 yard
2 yards

Against Clemson 5 of his 15 (not counting the 2 yard TD run because he couldn't get more than 2 yards). (33.3%)
Against Miami it was 7 of 18 (again not counting a 1 yard TD run because he couldn't have gotten more). (38.89%)

Duke - 6 out of 13 (46%)
VT - 3 out of 19 (15.8%)

Against UGA Mills was 2 of 7 (28.57%) and Marshall was 2 of 9 (22%) although I wouldn't really look at either of those as starter level carries.
Who.Fcking.Cares?

Deleted member 2897

no gain
2 yards
-4 yards
1 yard
2 yards

Duke - 6 out of 13 (46%)
VT - 3 out of 19 (15.8%)

How many times did each guy miss his blocks and get the QB blown up?

It’s too bad Marshall left, we needed both. Nobody that I know of on the team or the coach thought otherwise. But each was good enough to demand carries. It would be like Mason leaving because Gibbs and Smith are getting carries.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many times did each guy miss his blocks and get the QB blown up?

I don't know. How about you go back, watch the games, actually chart it, and let us all know. Also, I thought I was responding to the claim that the reason Mills played more is that he was better at consistently getting at least 3 years.

It’s too bad Marshall left, we needed both. Nobody that I know of on the team or the coach thought otherwise. But each was good enough to demand carries. It would be like Mason leaving because Gibbs and Smith are getting carries.

If you blame a guy who was looking at 5 carries a game behind a player who not only produced less but also couldn't stay eligible for transferring then I don't know what to tell you.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know. How about you go back, watch the games, actually chart it, and let us all know. Also, I thought I was responding to the claim that the reason Mills played more is that he was better at consistently getting at least 3 years.

If you blame a guy who was looking at 5 carries a game behind a player who not only produced less but also couldn't stay eligible for transferring then I don't know what to tell you.

PJ’s handling of Marshall was the beginning of the end for me.

Deleted member 2897

I don’t need to count because CPJ mentioned it multiple times as being an issue. Having a slightly higher per average rushing but causing havoc on other plays sometimes because you’re not hitting your blocks and reads when you’re not carrying is not being more productive. There’s more to it than that. You can’t do that in a triple option offense.