Tucker Gleason

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say he got terrible advice. As a freshman he was passed over not for a better running back, but for a transfer fullback with almost no experience carrying the ball. As a sophomore he got passed over for a freshman who couldn't follow team rules to stay on the field. Marshall made the decision to leave long before Mills was kicked, and so couldn't factor that in. The issue in that situation is going with and sticking with Skov and Mills, not with Marshall's decision.

Anyways in this situation we have 3 freshman and a sophomore QB. Transfers are in the future and were always going to be the case. There was no way around it. There was no way to keep everyone happy and what is best for GT is to find the guy who will be the long term solution and go all in on them.
Marshall also couldn’t hold on to the ball. That was a lot of why he kept getting passed over.

Then I would be pissed too. I committed earlier than Sims, he leads the nation in turnovers and I can't get in the game. In a year that doesn't count towards eligibility anyway. Seems staff has made their mind up for the future.
You'd be very wrong for being pissed off then, talent is the name of the Game, not loyalty, & definitely not who committed 1st

Earlier in the Season, Yates was the 1st guy off the Bench, meaning that Yates had passed up Gleason, based on what I saw of Yates & how bad he looked in his limited Snaps, for Gleason to be worse than Yates, then that tells me that Gleason isn't a P5 level talent AT THIS TIME

If Gleason is clearly behind Yates & Graham, then Gleason might want to think about FIU or FAU back home in Fla

Based on what I saw from Yates, anyone that gets beat out by Yates has no reason to be pissed about anything, in fact he needs to be thankful he getting a year of Free Classes

I expect both Gleason & Yates to enter the Portal in the Offseason, I think they both know that they aren't P5 level QBs at this time

Remember, Gleason was only a low 50% QB in HS, something like 51% completion his Sr. Year

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Earlier in the Season, Yates was the 1st guy off the Bench, meaning that Yates had passed up Gleason, based on what I saw of Yates & how bad he looked in his limited Snaps, for Gleason to be worse than Yates, then that tells me that Gleason isn't a P5 level talent AT THIS TIME

I'm not sure we can make that claim yet. I think it's likely that the staff is trying to get a chance to see all the back ups. We saw Yates first, then Graham against BC. If we don't see Gleason the next time there is a reason to go to the back up then I would agree. However this feels a bit like what they did last year with Oliver/Johnson/Graham in terms of seeing everybody.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say he got terrible advice. As a freshman he was passed over not for a better running back, but for a transfer fullback with almost no experience carrying the ball. As a sophomore he got passed over for a freshman who couldn't follow team rules to stay on the field. Marshall made the decision to leave long before Mills was kicked, and so couldn't factor that in. The issue in that situation is going with and sticking with Skov and Mills, not with Marshall's decision.

Anyways in this situation we have 3 freshman and a sophomore QB. Transfers are in the future and were always going to be the case. There was no way around it. There was no way to keep everyone happy and what is best for GT is to find the guy who will be the long term solution and go all in on them.
On top of that we have a decent recruit QB coming.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Maybe Gleason and Yates were virtually indistinguishable from one another but Yates got first call due to seniority while Graham worked through his problems.

Milwaukee

Banned
Then I would be pissed too. I committed earlier than Sims, he leads the nation in turnovers and I can't get in the game. In a year that doesn't count towards eligibility anyway. Seems staff has made their mind up for the future.
I’m sure he’s pissed. But there’s a difference between being pissed and quitting. I’m not saying he’s talking about leaving I’m only going off of the drama queen info I get here on Swarm. I will say this and this is just Milwaukee’s opinion: if he and his daddy want to quit after 6 games because of lack of playing time at Georgia Tech then I wish em well. I don’t think they’re leaving though, just a hunch. Hope I’m right as I believe he deserves a shot after Sims’ struggles and I’m on record with that. Stay strong Tucker.

Deleted member 2897

Marshall early on had trouble with fumbles and blocking assignments. Mills was just better the next year. It’s just one of those things. Out of the 30 players who have transferred over the last decade, how many ended up in P5 team - 2? FBS of any type - not many more I don’t think. CPJ used to say these kids have all their old friends and family telling them they’re the best out there and to just transfer, but that is almost universally false.

A lot of things can change with COVID and injuries. Gleason is a solid QB and a solid person. I hope he stays the course.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
You have to earn your way on the field. Same in college football as in any sport. I’d love for Tucker to get some snaps and reps at QB this year, but given that Sims is still starting after all of the turnovers, I don’t think the QB1 competition is very close.

I personally feel like we will see a few QB transfers.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Marshall early on had trouble with fumbles and blocking assignments. Mills was just better the next year. It’s just one of those things. Out of the 30 players who have transferred over the last decade, how many ended up in P5 team - 2? FBS of any type - not many more I don’t think. CPJ used to say these kids have all their old friends and family telling them they’re the best out there and to just transfer, but that is almost universally false.

A lot of things can change with COVID and injuries. Gleason is a solid QB and a solid person. I hope he stays the course.

First off his issues fumbling the ball were greatly exaggerated. The fumble excuse is always a bit ironic to me because against BC Marshall carried the ball like 6 out of 7 plays to help us move the ball

Second, Skov should never have gotten near the number of carries. That was just absurd. And even when Skov basically stopped getting carries Marshall struggled to get to double digit carries

As far as the next year Mills was good, but not nearly as good as people make him out to be. He averaged 5.2 ypc which was similar levels to like Sims and Laskey. For comparison in the 4 games he sat and Marshall got full starter carries he averaged 6.2 yards per carry. After 143 yards against VT and 127 against UVA, Marshall had 2 carries in the first half of the UGA game.

Marshall as a freshman averaged 7.6 yards per carry. As a sophomore he averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Those are absurd numbers and he had no chance at getting featured back number of carries here. Nobody should blame him for transferring.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Mills was just better than Marshall. If Gleason is not better than Yates then (in my opinion) he is not D1 material. I have no idea if this is the case but based on how things have played out to date that seems the case.

With all these lax transfer rules I think you can count on seeing wholesale movement of dissatisfied players moving all about between schools. I think this will be especially the case at Tech where we are building a culture of I before team. More important to build your individual brand than to be a great teammate.

Go Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

Mills was just better than Marshall. If Gleason is not better than Yates then (in my opinion) he is not D1 material. I have no idea if this is the case but based on how things have played out to date that seems the case.

With all these lax transfer rules I think you can count on seeing wholesale movement of dissatisfied players moving all about between schools. I think this will be especially the case at Tech where we are building a culture of I before team. More important to build your individual brand than to be a great teammate.

Go Jackets!

Marshall got our QB absolutely blown up a bunch of times because he’d miss his blocks. Losing him was a shame and he improved a lot over time. But IIWII.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
First off his issues fumbling the ball were greatly exaggerated. The fumble excuse is always a bit ironic to me because against BC Marshall carried the ball like 6 out of 7 plays to help us move the ball

Second, Skov should never have gotten near the number of carries. That was just absurd. And even when Skov basically stopped getting carries Marshall struggled to get to double digit carries

As far as the next year Mills was good, but not nearly as good as people make him out to be. He averaged 5.2 ypc which was similar levels to like Sims and Laskey. For comparison in the 4 games he sat and Marshall got full starter carries he averaged 6.2 yards per carry. After 143 yards against VT and 127 against UVA, Marshall had 2 carries in the first half of the UGA game.

Marshall as a freshman averaged 7.6 yards per carry. As a sophomore he averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Those are absurd numbers and he had no chance at getting featured back number of carries here. Nobody should blame him for transferring.

Yea, the fumble thing was overblown.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
When it comes to Skov playing over Marshall, there's no question Marshall was the more talented back.
PJ, though, was very reluctant to play true freshmen. He valued experience. it's one reason he redshirted as many freshmen as he could. Hell, Adrian Peterson could have started his first year at Southern. But PJ put the redshirt on him. (Getting AP and his stuttering problem acclimated to college was a big reason too. I loved that kid - busted his tail to conduct interviews even when it was such a demonstrable struggle for him to do so.) And wasn't going to start him the first game of his redshirt freshman year.
Until the senior ahead of him got a "knee injury" four days before the first game. Good kid, good athlete - and never started at B back his last season at Southern.
Meanwhile, once he got on the field, AP went about tearing up the Division I record books.
Other than Marshall, how many other true freshmen do you remember playing significantly before PJ's last season? He played Charlie and Juanyeh as true freshmen. But not many others.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
If Graham is the sure fire #2 which I believe he is and should be. I can see Yates and Gleason leaving. Peery is probably better than both of them. That gives you 3 scholly QBs in Sims, Graham, and Peery.

Ideally Sims beings a 1st or 2nd round draft pick in 2022. Graham sits behind him most of the way and Peery takes over in 2023 as a redshirt sophomore.

Deleted member 2897

Other than Marshall, how many other true freshmen do you remember playing significantly before PJ's last season? He played Charlie and Juanyeh as true freshmen. But not many others.
Brad Stewart, Clinton Lunch, Qua Searcy, Tobias Oliver, Brant Mitchell, Keshun Freeman, AJ Gray, Roddy Jones, Kirvonte Benson, Pressley Harvin, Harrison Butker, Bruce Swilling, Kyle CergeHenderson, Kenny Cooper, Jahaziel Lee, Parker Braun............