Tucker Gleason Enters the Transfer Portal

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
So not that it would happen but if a student leaves and is informed on the process he/she could make it hard to accept an incoming transfer by holding the school to scholly benefits until the end of the semester ? I mean if a student has on campus living can he stay in it ? Perhaps a poor example but in Atlanta there are an assortment of educational opportunities within a bus ride. Meals, tutoring etc could become a bargaining tool.
Not sure what you mean. The rules are actually pretty clear that once a player enters the portal the school cannot take away his scholarship until after the term during which he officially enters the portal. Once he is in the portal and the term ends it is up to the school whether they want to continue giving him any scholarship aid.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure JG was our 4th string option. He wasn't listed as ATL most of the season, then entered the Portal mid-season, essentially leaving the team. How many snaps did the 2nd string QB on this 3-win team get? Yep, not many.
Graham got the 2nd most snaps and had the 2nd most passing attempts, he was 2nd string he just wants to be a starter. Everyone knows the ATL chart doesn't mean anything anyway.

Graham got the 2nd most snaps and had the 2nd most passing attempts, he was 2nd string he just wants to be a starter. Everyone knows the ATL chart doesn't mean anything anyway.

Yeah, I just don't know how you can rank our only qb that didn't get any playing time at all in a throw away season anywhere but last.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. He got all those snaps and pass attempts in 1 game. I think after that game the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to be in line for QB at GT.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this not a microcosm of today’s society, though: That an above-average HS footballer with near-zero chance of a football career would sacrifice the gift and benefit of top tier institute education and resume for, presumably, a just a chance of on field play of — in the end — a silly game?

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this not a microcosm of today’s society, though: That an above-average HS footballer with near-zero chance of a football career would sacrifice the gift and benefit of top tier institute education and resume for, presumably, a just a chance of on field play of — in the end — a silly game?
I understand your point of view - but reward factor is so much larger than it used to be too. $860 k median salary in the NFL, with minimum salary going up to 610 next year. 125k for the practice squad even. near zero is not zero... To be even an average Div 1 player - get up and workout at 6am, practices, film study - the amount of time you have to invest to play that the game has to be just about the most important thing in your life.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The NFL is full of 3 star players. I have no problem with a guy chasing his dreams. He wants to play. Nothing wrong with that.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The other thing that you have to consider that is if he plays well and graduates from Toledo, he could still get his graduate degree playing somewhere else prestigious academically (Northwestern, Duke, UCLA, etc.).

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
A silly game that millions of people (including yourself and myself) pay to watch.

He is talented enough to play at a high level. Many times QBs from smaller schools are liked more by NFL scouts because they don’t sit behind the best offensive line and don’t have the most talented skill guys around them. See Wentz, Big Ben, Garappalo, Romo, Flacco...etc.

And a degree is a degree. I know that’s blasphemy around these parts, but it’s true. Especially if he does even sniff some NFL time. If he’s smart, a hard worker and has NFL cred, he will be as successful as he wants to be. Even if he never plays in the NFL, if he’s the starting QB for a well known college, it will be similar.

Don’t get me wrong, having a GT degree is helpful for guys that stay local and/or non big name games. I just don’t think it’s as powerful as you think it is.

He gets one shot to play high level college football. Something he’s worked his whole life to do. It’s obvious he was behind Sims who is in the same class as he is. It makes total sense for him to leave.

So if a kid chasing his dream is a microcosm of today’s society, I’ll take it. I think today’s society is the opposite. A bunch of people sitting around waiting for someone to do something for them. Kudos to the young man. Wish him well.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
He should be their starter next year for sure.

Why do you say that? They have a senior starter who is coming back next year. They also have Carter Bradley who was a higher rated and more highly touted QB coming out of HS that is ready to take over. Gleason could find it hard to see the field at Toledo for years.