Tucker Gleason Enters the Transfer Portal

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have said for a few years that Recruiting is just another word for a " tryout". Bring 'em in, see if they can cut it, if not they transfer out. Then it's like the circle completes itself when we bring in somebody elses "cull". That's why the word commitment needs an * asterisk.......
And you have just given the main reason that college football players will be represented by player's unions pretty soon now. Other sports too, of course. If you allow what is in effect free agency, that is the inevitable (imho) consequence.

This doesn't bother me all that much; I'd love to see all college football go non-scholarship and let the pros pick the 18 year olds and pay to develop them. But, in the short run, we'll see some very bad stuff as schools compete to keep up with each other. Only a few will be immune. That can't last.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
GC better have a #2 or #3 QB back up ready to play.As I see it he is all in on Sims and hasn't given another QB significant reps. If Sims goes down we are in big trouble!

I mean, how many teams give significant game reps to their backup QB? Yates has 2 years learning the playbook and has appeared in a few games.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Transfer after one year? None of this crap makes sense any more
This is likely the best ever year to transfer assuming the new rule gets voted in when the vote takes place in January to allow kids one free transfer. So the kids who are true freshmen or redshirt freshmen get to go somewhere else and become immediately eligible with 4 years left to play and have had a least a season of strength and conditioning and presumably coaching. I don't blame Tucker. It felt to me that it was always going to be whichever one of the two got the starting job the other was going to transfer.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Another aspect/impact of The Portal may be fan loyalty. I know the thought may be far fetched right now but our following recruited players is obviously a big part of the game, as we can see in the “recruiting section” of this very board. We all get into the ‘whose interested‘ of it and the ’what are our chances‘ debates.

what does it do when, say Gibbs decides to transfer ( just an example) ? We may indeed have players transferring in that can take his place but only the most avid among us will know those players coming in. Given these guys aren’t signing contracts will we get to know them ? If we are all jumping on a merry go round of emotions I’m not sure if keeping a fan base is going to be easy for us mid level or rebuilding programs. If we fall in love with Gibbs and he gets into the portal is their anything preventing the bagmen from flashing the cash ? Is there anything preventing bagmen from flashing cash to get them into the portal to begin with ?

slightly off my point, all I can find on this portal is how to get in it, does anyone know the rules concerning its use ? How many times can a player go into it ? Is there a season For portal entry ? Is it year round ? etc....

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Another aspect/impact of The Portal may be fan loyalty. I know the thought may be far fetched right now but our following recruited players is obviously a big part of the game, as we can see in the “recruiting section” of this very board. We all get into the ‘whose interested‘ of it and the ’what are our chances‘ debates.

what does it do when, say Gibbs decides to transfer ( just an example) ? We may indeed have players transferring in that can take his place but only the most avid among us will know those players coming in. Given these guys aren’t signing contracts will we get to know them ? If we are all jumping on a merry go round of emotions I’m not sure if keeping a fan base is going to be easy for us mid level or rebuilding programs. If we fall in love with Gibbs and he gets into the portal is their anything preventing the bagmen from flashing the cash ? Is there anything preventing bagmen from flashing cash to get them into the portal to begin with ?

slightly off my point, all I can find on this portal is how to get in it, does anyone know the rules concerning its use ? How many times can a player go into it ? Is there a season For portal entry ? Is it year round ? etc....
A few points I was able to find:
  • The way to get into the portal is for the athlete to alert the compliance office, in writing, that he/she wants to transfer. The school then has 2 business days to put the athlete into the portal.
  • The athlete can initiate this process at any time and can do so more than once (in fact I think the Duke QB is now in the transfer portal for the second time having transferred to Duke from Clemson and now is looking to leave Duke)
  • The school cannot take away the scholarship until the end of the current school term during which the athlete requests to be put into the portal but they can remove the athlete from team activities.
  • If the athlete changes his/her mind it is completely up to the school if they want to renew his/her scholarship
I found most of this information by scrounging around different sources but these are some good ones:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/ (this was talking about a situation at UNLV but it is a great resource for how it works in general, I recommend reading this article)

I hope these help. It took me a while to learn this stuff when I first tried to look it up so I hope I am helping circumvent that for you. If so then pass this stuff along to the next person who is as confused as you and I were :)

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
A few points I was able to find:
  • The way to get into the portal is for the athlete to alert the compliance office, in writing, that he/she wants to transfer. The school then has 2 business days to put the athlete into the portal.
  • The athlete can initiate this process at any time and can do so more than once (in fact I think the Duke QB is now in the transfer portal for the second time having transferred to Duke from Clemson and now is looking to leave Duke)
  • The school cannot take away the scholarship until the end of the current school term during which the athlete requests to be put into the portal but they can remove the athlete from team activities.
  • If the athlete changes his/her mind it is completely up to the school if they want to renew his/her scholarship
I found most of this information by scrounging around different sources but these are some good ones:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/ (this was talking about a situation at UNLV but it is a great resource for how it works in general, I recommend reading this article)

I hope these help. It took me a while to learn this stuff when I first tried to look it up so I hope I am helping circumvent that for you. If so then pass this stuff along to the next person who is as confused as you and I were :)

thank you for this

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
A school can't take a scholarship in the middle of a term unless the student signs off on it. At that point, the scholarship gets prorated to that day and can be cancelled mid term. Many students aren't that aware and sign off their scholarship after pressure from the coach (not saying about of this happens at tech).

Although the school can't take the scholarship (without the situation described above) when a student enters the portal, they can cut access to all athletic department facilities and services.

slugboy

Staff member
A school can't take a scholarship in the middle of a term unless the student signs off on it. At that point, the scholarship gets prorated to that day and can be cancelled mid term. Many students aren't that aware and sign off their scholarship after pressure from the coach (not saying about of this happens at tech).

Although the school can't take the scholarship (without the situation described above) when a student enters the portal, they can cut access to all athletic department facilities and services.
I'm not fully aware of all the conditions and restrictions, but there are certain services that an AA can only give to scholarship athletes (possibly including preferred walk-ons). When a student goes into the portal, I'm not sure what has to be cut off and what just can be cut off.
Think of it this way--if Alabama and Ohio State and Southern California only gave 85 scholarships, but gave another 75 players all the same services and other benefits, they could make a mockery of the 85 scholarship limit. It's not just cold-hearted accounting--the NCAA compliance people are going to watch student benefits carefully.
At this point, after the end of the term, tutoring, the training table, the workout room really don't make sense to maintain access to. For players that went into the portal before the end of the season, I wouldn't want to give up my study hall and tutoring services. Who wants to transfer with incompletes or failing grades?

I think this is ultimately good for the program. If an atl qb is unable to contribute even a single play in a 3 win season, he's just dead weight in my opinion and taking up a scholarship that we can give to someone else who can contribute.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
So not that it would happen but if a student leaves and is informed on the process he/she could make it hard to accept an incoming transfer by holding the school to scholly benefits until the end of the semester ? I mean if a student has on campus living can he stay in it ? Perhaps a poor example but in Atlanta there are an assortment of educational opportunities within a bus ride. Meals, tutoring etc could become a bargaining tool.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this is ultimately good for the program. If an atl qb is unable to contribute even a single play in a 3 win season, he's just dead weight in my opinion and taking up a scholarship that we can give to someone else who can contribute.
Not sure that was on Gleason. Coaches have to actually put the player in the game. If they're ATL, that means they're capable in the coaches' opinion of contributing. So, it's not like they're just dead weight. As for Gleason, he was two plays away from starting this season. My opinion is we would have still needed him if Peery wasn't an EE. Wouldn't want to through a true freshman out there with only a summer and fall camp under his belt. Sims and Yates get hurt, and he's the next man up. With Peery starting in January, he'll be more seasoned by next fall, if the need arises.

Not sure that was on Gleason. Coaches have to actually put the player in the game. If they're ATL, that means they're capable in the coaches' opinion of contributing. So, it's not like they're just dead weight. As for Gleason, he was two plays away from starting this season. My opinion is we would have still needed him if Peery wasn't an EE. Wouldn't want to through a true freshman out there with only a summer and fall camp under his belt. Sims and Yates get hurt, and he's the next man up. With Peery starting in January, he'll be more seasoned by next fall, if the need arises.

He was our 4th string qb on a 3 win team and was never trusted with a single snap even in several blowouts. If he's our 4th best option in this offense, he can't help us win games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was our 4th string qb on a 3 win team and was never trusted with a single snap even in several blowouts. If he's our 4th best option in this offense, he can't help us win games.
Pretty sure JG was our 4th string option. He wasn't listed as ATL most of the season, then entered the Portal mid-season, essentially leaving the team. How many snaps did the 2nd string QB on this 3-win team get? Yep, not many.

Also, he was a true freshman with a short spring and short fall camp. Not really sure what you were expecting in terms of help winning games. Gotta be put in the game to help win them. I'll stand by my statement.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As for Gleason, he was two plays away from starting this season. My opinion is we would have still needed him if Peery wasn't an EE. Wouldn't want to through a true freshman out there with only a summer and fall camp under his belt. Sims and Yates get hurt, and he's the next man up. With Peery starting in January, he'll be more seasoned by next fall, if the need arises.

When was the last time we were forced to play a third string QB significantly? Gardner Webb in Johnson's first year? The reality is you don't plan around what your third string QB is going to be. That is probably going to be someone you're trying to redshirt.

In reality, with Sims being the clear starter and Yates looking to stay, it made little sense for us or for Gleason to stay. He's more likely to find better chances of success elsewhere, and we will probably use the scholarship on a position more likely to make an impact. That isn't really a commentary on Gleason but more the fact that it makes little sense to have two QBs in the same class when one is the clear starter, and technically next year we'd have three in the same class as Sims and Gleason would still be Freshman alongside Peery.