Tucker Gleason Enters the Transfer Portal

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Good luck to him. This year actually worked out in his favor. Got to get some good reps/experience (though limited due to Covid) at an up and coming GT.

Now he gets to transfer without having lost a year of eligibility.

I’m thankful he stuck to his commitment and I know he pushed Sims to make him better. Wish him well.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I really don't like the transfer rules, but I also can't blame Gleason. Sims is clearly the guy DP is going to stick with forever, no matter what, but when you are down 50 points to Clemson, why not give Gleason or Yates a quarter and see what they've got in a real game situation? I felt like it was unfair to continue to let Sims struggle every single game and never give anyone a quarter to check them out. Maybe they would have been awful. I get that Sims must clearly be better in practice than the others, but when he's have an AWFUL day, what's the harm of a few series?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I really don't like the transfer rules, but I also can't blame Gleason. Sims is clearly the guy DP is going to stick with forever, no matter what, but when you are down 50 points to Clemson, why not give Gleason or Yates a quarter and see what they've got in a real game situation? I felt like it was unfair to continue to let Sims struggle every single game and never give anyone a quarter to check them out. Maybe they would have been awful. I get that Sims must clearly be better in practice than the others, but when he's have an AWFUL day, what's the harm of a few series?

Sims didn't play in the 4th quarter of the clemson game. Yates handled the drives.

Now why didn't they make a switch earlier? Because Sims was clearly the best QB we had and as a true freshman it was more important to get him the game reps than to showcase all 4 QBs just so fans can check them out. The coaches didn't need any of the back ups to play in game to check them out. And we saw last year, and when the staff was at temple, that they have no problems making changes at QB in game if they are not sure of their starter. But this staff is sure of Sims.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Your number 2 will more than likely always be a younger player.
So our number 2 will be Peery next year. If we land MJ Morris and he is balling out in practice as a freshman (Sims junior year) then I would expect Peery to transfer and MJ to take over when Sims leaves.

Basically you take 2 scholly QBs in a year expect 1 to leave. Rightfully so.

Most schools use the younger QB process. Clemson has Trevor and his back up is the 5 star QB from 2020. If I was a 18 yr old knowing I wasn't going to start and I could somewhere else I'd leave. ESPECIALLY if I'm trying to go pro which I would hope 95% of the kids we are recruiting expect to do.
The last sentence is new to the GT
program. At least over the last 10 years or so. Thank you coach Collins.

Jolly Good Fellow
true but it remains to be seen how this portal thing is going to impact Clemson and Alabama. If you are a 5 star why even go to the factory’s anymore ? if you do go, see if you can beat out the other 5 star and if you don’t then leave.

I think the portal thins out everyone’s depth charts.

I think Georgia already had 6 in the portal, who knows how many they lose.
1990 is certainly correct here....."The Portal" is going to be like the Matrix..... NCAA has no idea what they've unleashed... Gonna be fun

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
true but it remains to be seen how this portal thing is going to impact Clemson and Alabama. If you are a 5 star why even go to the factory’s anymore ? if you do go, see if you can beat out the other 5 star and if you don’t then leave.

I think the portal thins out everyone’s depth charts.

I think Georgia already had 6 in the portal, who knows how many they lose.
I have said for a few years that Recruiting is just another word for a " tryout". Bring 'em in, see if they can cut it, if not they transfer out. Then it's like the circle completes itself when we bring in somebody elses "cull". That's why the word commitment needs an * asterisk.......

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
That's why the word commitment needs an * asterisk.......
In how many facets of life are commitments legitimately permanent? Because if we’re that upset about the term commitment in regards to 17 year old student-athletes, let’s also be sure to put asterisks for marriage, college coaches’ contracts, military enlistment, pro sports contracts, corporate America jobs, etc. etc. etc.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm happy to have Johnson back.
My confusion was more toward why do we have Yates tweet about Johnson in the Gleason thread?
Yates’ tweet was posted in response to someone saying with Graham and Gleason transferring, they hoped Yates stays. Yates tweeting about Johnson coming back is a pretty good indication he isn’t going anywhere.

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims didn't play in the 4th quarter of the clemson game. Yates handled the drives.

Now why didn't they make a switch earlier? Because Sims was clearly the best QB we had and as a true freshman it was more important to get him the game reps than to showcase all 4 QBs just so fans can check them out. The coaches didn't need any of the back ups to play in game to check them out. And we saw last year, and when the staff was at temple, that they have no problems making changes at QB in game if they are not sure of their starter. But this staff is sure of Sims.
I'm absolutely sure GT staff judged Sims to be our best QB option...by far...If it had been close, we'd have seen lots more JG and Yates and Gleason during the many times Jeff struggled....

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
GC better have a #2 or #3 QB back up ready to play.As I see it he is all in on Sims and hasn't given another QB significant reps. If Sims goes down we are in big trouble!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
In how many facets of life are commitments legitimately permanent? Because if we’re that upset about the term commitment in regards to 17 year old student-athletes, let’s also be sure to put asterisks for marriage, college coaches’ contracts, military enlistment, pro sports contracts, corporate America jobs, etc. etc. etc.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well, but that was the point I was trying to make also. I would also characterize my mood as cynical, not upset. Being 70+ , almost nothing upsets me about sports anymore.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
GC better have a #2 or #3 QB back up ready to play.As I see it he is all in on Sims and hasn't given another QB significant reps. If Sims goes down we are in big trouble!

I will never understand why people were/are so concerned with getting a back up reps when we were starting a true freshman with minimal pre-season preparation available?

Did you want him to hinder the starter's development in favor of the back up who won't play unless the starter gets hurt?

slugboy

Staff member
I wish this young man the best at his new destination. I hope he got something worthwhile out of his time at Tech, even if this was the most bizarre season I can think of.