Triple Option

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No , what scheme do we have ? We look like most teams It's not like we run something other teams don't see but once a year.

fact : and I hate it but every team we play looks at there schedule sees our name and they say there is a win.

My belief : I liked the 3O but we can't go back now , why ? because of the new transfer portal , I would hate to see how many we would lose if we tried now.

The really sad part it looks Dave Braine may have been right

We run the same offense most factory schools do. Other teams practice for the offense we run. Just because we don't run a unique scheme doesn't mean we don't have one.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
How long before our collective fan base moves on from the triple option?
I believe that triple option discussion will die down as soon as Collins gets a win total that is in the range of one of CPJ's better seasons. Looks like 9 wins in 2008, 11 wins in 2009, 8 wins in 2011, 11 wins in 2014, and 9 wins in 2016. So, when Collins (or his successor) delivers an 8-11 win season, I think it will dissipate.

While I hope I'm wrong, I sincerely doubt Collins will ever get there, and that's been my belief since very early on. He's just not a great football coach and the assistants haven't been great at teaching the kids what they're supposed to do in their respective systems. At this point, we are nearly two and a half years into his tenure and he's got 8 total wins - he's at the bottom of the high-water range for the previous regime when you consider a twenty-seven game stretch. I know he's got a dedicated stable of online apologists (just as CPJ had!) who will reiterate the defenses he's laid out: LARGEST TRANSITION IN FOOTBALL HISTORY and ELITE TALENT and JUICE and all that. But you'll notice that even they have backed off the "CPJ defenders were accepting mediocrity!" line because I think it's become apparent to them that it will take a huge shift for Collins to even achieve mediocrity, much less win an Orange Bowl, the ACC, beat a top-10 team, etc.

I'm a big triple option guy, obviously. But you can win with any offensive or defensive scheme, provided you (a) recruit kids of sufficient (not necessarily ELITE) talent, and (b) have coaches who are effective at teaching their kids how to do what they're asking the kids to do. We have enough talent on the roster that we've fulfilled (a). Our coaches just haven't shown themselves to be adequate at (b). I doubt this set ever will. I asked last year what everyone thought this regime's ceiling will be. I'll ask again: does anyone think that Collins will ever win 10 games here (in a season, not overall)? Does anyone believe he will ever win an ACC championship? Does anyone believe he will ever beat a top 10 ranked program?

Addendum: some P5 school will ignore boosters/fans and hire a triple option coach again. Maybe not this year or next, but it will happen. It won't be GT, though, and I don't think even the most ardent option fans on here believe we will ever go back.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Addendum: some P5 school will ignore boosters/fans and hire a triple option coach again. Maybe not this year or next, but it will happen. It won't be GT, though, and I don't think even the most ardent option fans on here believe we will ever go back.

Would have to have a pretty specific set of circumstances:
1) No recent success (recent success means fans believe "we're THIS close")
2) Not near a major recruiting market (means fans believe "we just have to put a fence around XYZ, and the option will kill that")
3) Can't have recently hired a coach ("we have to give XYZ a chance to see what he can do)

Leaves the following (ahem) options for the next couple years:
Duke
Syracuse
Purdue (mmmeeehhhhh)
Also, maybe Vandy. Their head coach is a new coach, and a defense guy, and they just demoted their OC, so maybe they bring in an option guy as an OC.
(I'd have said Nebraska until their past few games)

Arizona almost pulled the trigger a couple years ago, so if Fisch fails, I'd call them the best chance.

Also, Chadwell is going to get a shot somewhere soon, if they keep winning. I don't know if you consider him a triple option coach. I do.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It's not coming back to Georgia Tech so what's the point of hanging on hoping for your old girlfriend to come back?
Huh? There are some folks here that really like the TO, me included, but what we are really into is winning. I’m a Tech fan first, coach/scheme fan second. I was actually okay with hiring a new coach with a new scheme simply because I felt like most people don’t like watching the TO and I think it hurt attendance, the rule change which seemed to be aimed at the TO, and top-shelf recruits didn’t seem interested in the TO. Me…I’m just not interested in winning 3 out of every 10 games.

My question is, and still remains, “How long can we expect this transition to last?” Collins already has the worst back-to-back seasons since 1987-1988 and I’m hoping to avoid the worst three season stretch since 1986-1988 but it’s not looking good.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's not coming back to Georgia Tech so what's the point of hanging on hoping for your old girlfriend to come back?

Which sucks because if we ran fridge's offense we wouldn't be having this problem either. We also have atleast a few triple plays in this playbook but we don't seem to call anything on setup. For instance we kept running that read dive and they were crashing hard, if we had a triple look off of it with a quick throw to the slot recieve r(aka the trever lawrence triple option) might have had a nice play on one of those fourth and short. The thing is im not sure we will ever recruit the OL to run this scheme now. We have 3 SEC transfers and jordan williams and we can't seem to get the line play we want so maybe the veer was a way to atleast get an advantage there.

I'd love to run coastal's offense.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll ask again: does anyone think that Collins will ever win 10 games here (in a season, not overall)? Does anyone believe he will ever win an ACC championship? Does anyone believe he will ever beat a top 10 ranked program?
Call me crazy, or probably more accurately a fanatic, but I think those are all possible. If I were a betting man I don't think I'd put money on them but they could all happen.

I still think it's very possible to get to 6 wins this year and get to a bowl. A lot of our playmakers currently are freshmen, in 2 or 3 years could they have a run and get 10 wins? I don't think that's too hard to imagine.

With Clemson faltering this year they certainly have lost their grip on the ACC championship every year, it's not crazy to see a run in 2 years that could lead to the ACCCG. As for a top 10 ranked program, we were pretty close to beating one this year? Granted I'm sure the retort will be that they were only ranked that at the time and won't finish ranked at all. Likewise for the ranked win over UNC. But many of the "top ten" wins of the PJ era didn't wind up finishing that way. I believe technically the only one was VT in '09. Ms. St. in '14 finished 11th and that was in part because GT finished top 10 so I guess that can count too :D .

To quote a wise coach, "it's never as good or bad as it seems", or something to that effect. What Pitt showed on Saturday was that their OL was way better than ours. And I kinda view that game as the flip side of the game we played against them where they fumbled like 5 times in the first half, just wasn't our day. I think improvement from Sims is there to be seen. If (big if) we can finally get some OL cohesion and consistency I think we could see some good things.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I believe that triple option discussion will die down as soon as Collins gets a win total that is in the range of one of CPJ's better seasons. Looks like 9 wins in 2008, 11 wins in 2009, 8 wins in 2011, 11 wins in 2014, and 9 wins in 2016. So, when Collins (or his successor) delivers an 8-11 win season, I think it will dissipate.

While I hope I'm wrong, I sincerely doubt Collins will ever get there, and that's been my belief since very early on. He's just not a great football coach and the assistants haven't been great at teaching the kids what they're supposed to do in their respective systems. At this point, we are nearly two and a half years into his tenure and he's got 8 total wins - he's at the bottom of the high-water range for the previous regime when you consider a twenty-seven game stretch. I know he's got a dedicated stable of online apologists (just as CPJ had!) who will reiterate the defenses he's laid out: LARGEST TRANSITION IN FOOTBALL HISTORY and ELITE TALENT and JUICE and all that. But you'll notice that even they have backed off the "CPJ defenders were accepting mediocrity!" line because I think it's become apparent to them that it will take a huge shift for Collins to even achieve mediocrity, much less win an Orange Bowl, the ACC, beat a top-10 team, etc.

I'm a big triple option guy, obviously. But you can win with any offensive or defensive scheme, provided you (a) recruit kids of sufficient (not necessarily ELITE) talent, and (b) have coaches who are effective at teaching their kids how to do what they're asking the kids to do. We have enough talent on the roster that we've fulfilled (a). Our coaches just haven't shown themselves to be adequate at (b). I doubt this set ever will. I asked last year what everyone thought this regime's ceiling will be. I'll ask again: does anyone think that Collins will ever win 10 games here (in a season, not overall)? Does anyone believe he will ever win an ACC championship? Does anyone believe he will ever beat a top 10 ranked program?

Vanderbilt would be a lot better off going to a 3O but more like Army runs with more passing than PJ ran. The kids that go there are for the education and realize they will never be Bama UGA TAM etc recruits but are decent players with a chance at a top education. There are a lot of QB athletes that are great runners and decent passers that want to play QB in college but never would get big time offers. Justin Thomas comes to mind. OL can be smaller than 350 lbs. Vandy is in a dismal spot in the SEC. Had some success with Sloan (who was using Peabody to get them admitted) and then Franklin who must be a heck of a recruiter.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
@Lotta Juice - good post. I hope you're right!

@ilovetheoption - yeah, I'd count Coastal Carolina as a triple-based team. I do love watching them. I wish CPJ had done some of what they do now back when he was messing with the pistol. Not that I think we ever *needed* to run the pistol at all but, because we did, I think a lot of CC's stuff would have been nice and not too hard to install.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
From another post: "I'll ask again: does anyone think that Collins will ever win 10 games here (in a season, not overall)? Does anyone believe he will ever win an ACC championship? Does anyone believe he will ever beat a top 10 ranked program?"

No, for me, to all 3 questions, but I do believe the ACC championship would be the most possible. Also, if he were to beat a top 10 team, it would be early in the season when a team is misranked, like UNC was at the beginning of the year. I have seen nothing to make me believe any of of those things will occur with CGC at the helm.

With that said, I hope I am dead wrong, and he goes on to major success on the flats.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
From another post: "I'll ask again: does anyone think that Collins will ever win 10 games here (in a season, not overall)? Does anyone believe he will ever win an ACC championship? Does anyone believe he will ever beat a top 10 ranked program?"

No, for me, to all 3 questions, but I do believe the ACC championship would be the most possible. Also, if he were to beat a top 10 team, it would be early in the season when a team is misranked, like UNC was at the beginning of the year. I have seen nothing to make me believe any of of those things will occur with CGC at the helm.

With that said, I hope I am dead wrong, and he goes on to major success on the flats.
The short answer is NO with his current staff. We should be better than we have shown so far. Underachieving.