Trey Klock transferring out

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Dumb rule. Once an athlete completes his undergrad he should be a "free agent" with regards to post grad degrees and athletic eligibility. Just my 2 cents.

Fully agreed, it hurts to lose them but they've completed their end of the bargain. For anyone complaining about graduates transferring out, I hope you also complained when Skov transferred in. Otherwise you're just a massive hypocrite.

SlawDog

Banned
Fully agreed, it hurts to lose them but they've completed their end of the bargain. For anyone complaining about graduates transferring out, I hope you also complained when Skov transferred in. Otherwise you're just a massive hypocrite.
Skov transfering in taught us a valuable lesson. The grass is not always greener,

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Skov transfering in taught us a valuable lesson. The grass is not always greener,

Skov was valuable for what he was...a stop gap at BB. We needed a serviceable body at BB, and he did well enough.

But you are correct in the sense that GT fans built him up to be something that never came to fruition on the field. Sometimes I wonder if fans actually look at tape and a player's history before building someone up. There was a reason Stanford gave him limited carries. He was a blocking fullback, not a runningback. Our BBs are runningbacks that actually do a LOT more than given credit for. I would argue it's tougher to run in our system than in other systems because of how close BBs play at the LOS, how fast we hit the hole at the snap, and there is no lead blocker for BBs. This is something Dwyer touched on in an interview he recently did. Skov wasn't coming to GT and transforming into All-ACC runningback all of a sudden.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This rule may have changed (or I could just be uninformed as usual), but I thought in order to pursue a graduate transfer without sitting out a year, you had to enroll in a degree program that wasn't available at the school you are leaving. In this case, it looks like Trey is pursuing an MBA at NU, which is also offered at Tech. Does that rule no longer apply?

I think there are two rules. What you are talking about is the grad transfer waiver or something like that. If you have previously transferred it has to be to study something the current school doesn't offer. If it's your first I don't think that is true.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Skov was valuable for what he was...a stop gap at BB. We needed a serviceable body at BB, and he did well enough.

But you are correct in the sense that GT fans built him up to be something that never came to fruition on the field. Sometimes I wonder if fans actually look at tape and a player's history before building someone up. There was a reason Stanford gave him limited carries. He was a blocking fullback, not a runningback. Our BBs are runningbacks that actually do a LOT more than given credit for. I would argue it's tougher to run in our system than in other systems because of how close BBs play at the LOS, how fast we hit the hole at the snap, and there is no lead blocker for BBs. This is something Dwyer touched on in an interview he recently did. Skov wasn't coming to GT and transforming into All-ACC runningback all of a sudden.
Yes there was a lot of hope he'd end up like Dwyer. Much of it was completely irrational but he did have Dwyer's size. At Stanford he only averaged about 1.5 YPC but he was usually only used in goal line situations. I really thought he'd be that prototype "I'm going to get you 3-4 yds up the middle" back with an occasional long run and you'd have to think his ability to block was there. There was a reason Stanford let him go though. It certainly wasn't because they lacked grad school majors.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes there was a lot of hope he'd end up like Dwyer. Much of it was completely irrational but he did have Dwyer's size. At Stanford he only averaged about 1.5 YPC but he was usually only used in goal line situations. I really thought he'd be that prototype "I'm going to get you 3-4 yds up the middle" back with an occasional long run and you'd have to think his ability to block was there. There was a reason Stanford let him go though. It certainly wasn't because they lacked grad school majors.
Dude had two bad shoulders and gave his all every play. Injury was just as big a part of his lack of production as anything else. Nobody wants to hear that though.

Skov never quit on his team, never got in trouble and never had academic issues. I wish I could say the same for all our Bbacks.

SlawDog

Banned
Dude had two bad shoulders and gave his all every play. Injury was just as big a part of his lack of production as anything else. Nobody wants to hear that though.

Skov never quit on his team, never got in trouble and never had academic issues. I wish I could say the same for all our Bbacks.
Not saying why he did or didn't pan out just that the grass is not always greener for a myriad of reasons.