Transfers

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Warning - slightly defensive...
Syracuse is recruiting under the premise that scholarships may open as a result of their appeal. No matter how unlikely, which is another debate, they don't want to be caught relaxing. Surprised about Chukwu because Tyus Battle was thought to possibly commit soon.

Center DaJuan Coleman may never play again, just like last year, and he's tying up a scholly again this year. Could very easily be gone by next year.

Now, conceding the "run someone off" possibility, the most likely candidate is Chino Obokoh who many thought would transfer this past offseason. Even with 10 schollies he is not going to play meaningful minutes this year unless there are extreme circumstances.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
1417def98f35636644173a9216b88d6ee0108395ff12f5dd1aad1ba5e3d1db3e.jpg

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

4. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

It's no secret that Brian Gregory needs to win this season, and he and his staff did a nice job adding a couple of quality players who will help immediately. Tech picked up 6-1 Adam Smith -- who led Virginia Tech in both scoring (13.4) and 3-point shooting (42.4 percent) last season -- and also beat out plenty of high-majors for Arkansas-Little Rock's James White, a 6-8 forward who averaged 11.9 points and 6.6 rebounds last season. Smith will get a shot to start at the point for Gregory, and White could also wind up in the starting lineup.

16. Adam Smith*, 6-foot-1, G Senior, Virginia Tech to Georgia Tech

The Yellow Jackets needed a point guard, and while Smith isn't a pure point, he'll be an upgrade over the alternatives. Smith led the Hokies in scoring (13.4 ppg) last season and can also shoot it from deep (42.4 percent). Even if he can't play the point, he'll help Georgia Tech.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone expect Smith to play much if any point? We needed a shooter and aome athleticism and we got both. Regardless of my feeling to BG he does do well in the NCAA free agent period.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does anyone expect Smith to play much if any point? We needed a shooter and aome athleticism and we got both. Regardless of my feeling to BG he does do well in the NCAA free agent period.
If he plays point it's because Travis and Heath are simply not getting the job done. Or, the Tadric is having a gonzo season. Or, we need to have more shooters on the floor.

Am I right about the potential rotation: Jorgenson, Heath and Heyward in that order at PG. Jackson and Smith at SG with MGH or Q occasionally moving out. MGH, White and Q at SF. Then Mitchell, Jacobs, and White getting most of the minutes inside, with occasional minutes from Lammers. A nice problem to have would be the discovery that Ogbonda deserves a lot of minutes.

But, to your point, we could see a lineup of Heath, Smith, White, Jacobs and Mitchell on the floor more than occasionally. They are all here via transfers. That lineup is more likely than one that includes none of them.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer

I think the only time we see that is when him and Tadric are both on the floor. I think they should both be getting >20 mins per game, which means they'll have to be on the floor at the same time at some point. One of them could slide to the 3 I guess, but I think it's more likely we see Smith play point. Maybe we see 5 mins per game max for Smith at point? But I do think it's possible

Completely guessing at what a breakdown would look like with approximate minutes, I'd say:
PG: Jorgenson (20), Heath (15), Smith (5)
SG: Smith (20), Tadric (20)
SF: MGH (30), Q / Tadric / White (10)
PF/C: Mitchell (25), Jacobs (25), White (20), Lammers / Ogbonda (10)

Last edited:

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the only time we see that is when him and Tadric are both on the floor. I think they should both be getting >20 mins per game, which means they'll have to be on the floor at the same time at some point. One of them could slide to the 3 I guess, but I think it's more likely we see Smith play point. Maybe we see 5 mins per game max for Smith at point? But I do think it's possible

Completely guessing at what a breakdown would look like with approximate minutes, I'd say:

These minutes look pretty much like what we'll see this coming season. Hopefully a few for minutes for Lammers as he will need the experience for the following season. As much as White may be suited for SF I don't see Q getting less than 12-14 minutes and MGH will be in there 28-30.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I wouldnt mind seeing both of them on the court at the same time and have Jorgy pushing the ball with MGH and Sir Charles in the front court. Tough to play defense wiht that lineup though. Jorgy is best when pushing the ball though, give him a shooter on one side and a slasher on the other, good things will happen.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wouldnt mind seeing both of them on the court at the same time and have Jorgy pushing the ball with MGH and Sir Charles in the front court. Tough to play defense wiht that lineup though. Jorgy is best when pushing the ball though, give him a shooter on one side and a slasher on the other, good things will happen.

I think Jorgy is more likely to be in the 25-27 mpg range.
I also agree with Pea that Jorgy is by far our best PG at pushing tempo (he looks ahead well). Short stretches with Smith on the wing with Tadric and MGH as a small 4 really pushing tempo would be an interesting change of pace for a min or two.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Of course the second we go to a lineup like that the HoF coaches we have to face will immediately put their bigs in and slow it way down and pound it inside. Might look better with Jacobs/Lammers instead of Charles.

I'm a fan of trying quirky lineups, make the other team try to adjust to you

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I think Jorgy is more likely to be in the 25-27 mpg range.
I also agree with Pea that Jorgy is by far our best PG at pushing tempo (he looks ahead well). Short stretches with Smith on the wing with Tadric and MGH as a small 4 really pushing tempo would be an interesting change of pace for a min or two.

Hope you're right. He should play as many minutes as possible. I was accounting for the fact he's never played that many minutes before because of the injuries. Hopefully that's not an issue

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Of course the second we go to a lineup like that the HoF coaches we have to face will immediately put their bigs in and slow it way down and pound it inside. Might look better with Jacobs/Lammers instead of Charles.

I'm a fan of trying quirky lineups, make the other team try to adjust to you

Either that or they'll just go small as well and beat us at it considering guard play has never been a strength for us under Gregory.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Naturally but he also had UVA ranked #1 at one point this past season. I just staying, you dont need to get Nick Saban or John Calipari to be successful. You just need............well..............to listen to me. When was the last time I was wrong?

No im not kidding, I am that arrogant.

I may be wrong, but I doubt it, Im a construction superintendent.