Transfers

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The new guys make our team a little better, unless I am seeing this illogically. First, the Smith for Bolden swap should certainly help us on the perimeter. It will be interesting to see how Tadric fits in with the addition of Smith. I hope TJ picks up where he left off in the ACC Tournament. That would make Smith the man off the bench, a role where he thrived at VT.

Inside, Jacobs for Cox is a positive and should give us a very athletic group. I am not sure if White for Sampson is a plus, but it's close. White should provide capable minutes as the first big guy off the bench, and can also play the three. To me, the more interesting story will be how far into the season we start seeing Lammers and Ogbonda getting more than occasional minutes.

My guess as to the starting lineup is this: Travis, Tadric, MGH, Jacobs, Mitchell.

I think it could also be: Travis, Smith, MGH, Jacobs, Mitchell.

In any case, expect Q to get fewer minutes unless he can improve his defense. With Smith, we will not need Q's shot quite as much as last year and White could move to the three if Lammers or Ogbonda can step up.

I moved my pessimism - optimism meter from glummy to cautiously optimistic this week. We could be better than last year and still not make it to the post season, so this wee bit of optimism may be over the top.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the biggest impact is going to come from Smith. He had 2 years of ACC experience, 3 years of ACC practice experience. He knows how to play at this level and is a flat out better shooter than Bolden was. White is taking a big step up in level of play, but the interview with him suggests the staff is not seeing him as a major player. They want him to be an energy guy off the bench. play defense, get rebounds, make a couple of buckets. Jacobs will be the newcomer they expect to score.

I'm with Oriental - i think Tadric starts and Smith sees starter type min off the bench.

in the end, the success of this team does not depend upon the newcomers - it depends upon the 2 TJ's. if they take significant leaps as SO - then this is probably an NCAA team. If they don't then it will be lucky to be .500. i think the defense, rebounding and baseline scoring will all be there. If we can get solid guard play, its a much better team, if not it will look alot like last year,

if nothing else, I can enjoy one day of the UGA fans being absolutely gobsmacked that White chose GT over UGA (I can understand where they are coming from).

RamblinRed

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Again PG has got to put together a lot of new moving parts.he couldn't do it last yr and it is certainly questionable if he can do it now.Maybe, but doubtful to the level needed.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Again PG has got to put together a lot of new moving parts.he couldn't do it last yr and it is certainly questionable if he can do it now.Maybe, but doubtful to the level needed.

On the bright side with so many senior transfers we might have a player or two that is well coached for a change.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
You know Smith was.

BG will probably use him in the post, or take him out immediately after his first made basket each game.

P,
Speaking of post play--I said last yr that I saw Heath slip in the middle around foulline and get the ball from outside and then pass down low to Mitchell/others for easy scores a couple of times. If you can't get a big man to do it have the small man do it.! BUT-I never saw it as a real play.Its not by luck that his teams can't score worth a crap.Got ZERO offensive imagination--er,ck close game scores.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
P,
Speaking of post play--I said last yr that I saw Heath slip in the middle around foulline and get the ball from outside and then pass down low to Mitchell/others for easy scores a couple of times. If you can't get a big man to do it have the small man do it.! BUT-I never saw it as a real play.Its not by luck that his teams can't score worth a crap.Got ZERO offensive imagination--er,ck close game scores.
Every team has a basic offense and set plays they run, most with predetermined options. But our offense doesn't seem to allow much imagination and creative play. I was very frustrated last year watching us do the same thing possession after possession without scoring. Sometimes not even getting a makeable shot. I have no optimism that will change.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If Smith and Q and maybe even Jax can make some threes and spread the floor you will see Heath and Jorgy play a lot better than in the past. Jacobs should also finish better than Cox. Assist totals should go up.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If Smith and Q and maybe even Jax can make some threes and spread the floor you will see Heath and Jorgy play a lot better than in the past. Jacobs should also finish better than Cox. Assist totals should go up.

Definitely agree with this.. In addition, I want to see Jorgensen finish more this season when he gets into the lane as well. Whether it is with the development of a floater or just going stronger to the basket. If he becomes more of a threat to score, it will also make his ability to penetrate and dish that much more deadly. Toward the end of the season, opposing teams were playing him to dish rather than shoot or finish in traffic because it seemed that any time he got into the lane, he was looking to pass more than shoot it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Gotta be old info, right? We don't have space do we?

http://zagsblog.com/articles/former-minnesota-commit-nwankwo-has-new-suitors/

Jonathan Nwankwo is hearing from plenty of suitors after he was was released from his letter of intent at Minnesota because he had trouble getting admitted to the school, a source told SNY.tv.

Boston College, Pittsburgh, VCU, Georgia Techa and SMU have been most active, but his camp is “still figuring it out,” the source said.

Couldn't get admitted into Minnesota?

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Here comes another one and done . . . James White. I like the traditional one and dones better . . . Marbury, Bosh, Young, Favors.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I assume you are talking about Dorn from Charlotte: 6'5 Guard.
He'll have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2015-16 season, and while he can't do anything for the Pack's guard shortage this year, he'd be a nice back court piece to have down the road. State's back court in 16-17 has the potential to be really good.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gott has really lived off of guard/wing transfers.
He's made it work for his program.
Lee (JUCO)
Turner (LSU)
Lacey (AL)
Henderson (WV)

Barber is basically the only kid he has recruited out of HS at guard that has been there for the duration.

Now he has Dorn coming in.
Dorn's former FR teammate wing Keyshawn Woods has committed to Wake.
Price had alot of talent go out the door when he took over in Charlotte.