Transfers

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
KeVaughn Allen has decided to stick with FL.

Also, former VCU commit Tevin Mack will make his decision tomorrow. Likely either Texas or UGA.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@RamblinRed, who are we likely to get during this phase of transfers? I believe we need someone who can contribute quality minutes at the four or five. Otherwise Lammers or Ogbomda will have to be that plug. Your thoughts?

William S. Baker

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems that every time we look at possible candidates we hear of some new ones. Today's AJC had the following two four or five positions:
Two graduate transfers from metro Atlanta have reportedly listed Tech as potential destinations. Tech is interested in both Richmond forward Alonzo Nelson-Ododa and Arkansas Little-Rock forward James White to take the final scholarship.

Nelson-Ododa (6-foot-9, 235 pounds) averaged 6.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game for the Spiders last season as a junior. Nelson-Ododa, who started seven out of 27 games last season, is from Norcross High. He is second all-time on Richmond’s career blocks list with 185.

White (6-8, 220) averaged 11.9 points, 6.6 and 1.7 blocks in 27.1 minutes. White, from Jonesboro High, played only 15 games this season because of a stress fracture in his tibia.

I would really like to see Lammers get a good shot it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would expect we would know about White this week. He's visited BC, AL, GT, and might be visiting UGA the beginning of this week (heard conflicting reports on this). He went to HS with Adam Smith.

if we miss on White I think the odds are high GT gets Nelson-Ododa. When Mooney was the frontrunner to be the HC 4 yrs ago, Odada was thought likely to ask out of his LOI to Richmond and follow Mooney to GT. Good student. Good defensive player.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mack was not a surprise - he picked VCU over UGA in October. When Shaka went to TX, it was believed as long as Mack and his mom's visit went well to Austin he would follow Shaka there. UGA was basically the close to home backup plan.

Also, Caleb Swanigan committed to Purdue (his guardian's alma mater).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Dawgs fans are convinced that White will be a Dawg. They believe it is already a done deal.

He would be a great fit there. They need a PF badly.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UGA needs a PF alot more than we do. We have Chucky and Nick Jacobs next year. Jacobs should be a double digit scorer in GT's offense.

Not much difference between the grad transfers and free agent signings. That is why the NCAA may change the rule next year to do away with immediate eligiblity. A grad transfer would have to sit a year and then have 1 yr to play. On the plus side it would bring the situation more into what it was designed to be - a chance for kids to get a graduate degree. On the negative side, fewer will get the opportunity as not as many coaches will be willing to use a scholly for 2 yrs to get one yr of play - especially when it is year 2.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Red, having played the 3 and tried to play the 4 as an undersized player, I think we're going to need a new guy or depend on Lammers and Ogbonda to give us the 20+ minutes we are currently lacking at that position. It's not reasonable to expect MGH or Q to fill those minutes. Maybe that will work at times, but small lineups depend on having shooters. Nuff said.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not saying we can't use a PF -we can, but UGA's need is much greater than ours. If White comes here he is a backup. if he goes to UGA he is an instant starter and probably 30 mpg guy.
Right now GT's frontcourt would mop up UGA's right out of the arena. Sort of why I hope we get White.

If Scott comes in and shoots well it will change alot of things on the offense. Probably most for MGH, who is not a great shooter, but is not a bad one either and if he can pick his shots rather than having to take alot, his % will naturally rise.

The fact GT is looking at White and Nelson-Odada tells us alot about what the staff thinks they most need right now based on the current composition of the roster.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not saying we can't use a PF -we can, but UGA's need is much greater than ours. If White comes here he is a backup. if he goes to UGA he is an instant starter and probably 30 mpg guy.
Right now GT's frontcourt would mop up UGA's right out of the arena. Sort of why I hope we get White.

If Scott comes in and shoots well it will change alot of things on the offense. Probably most for MGH, who is not a great shooter, but is not a bad one either and if he can pick his shots rather than having to take alot, his % will naturally rise.

The fact GT is looking at White and Nelson-Odada tells us alot about what the staff thinks they most need right now based on the current composition of the roster.
I agree with this. I really like the addition of Smith and thought Harris would have been the perfect complement. That's why I think the staff is trying to close on White. We need a rotation of three bigs so we have fresh bodies on the floor all the time. I don't think White is as good as Harris, but he fits nicely. Now, let's get his commitment.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that Nelson-Ododa is the better player of the two, and I also think he would make more an impact where we need it (defense).

He's an excellent defensive player and he is very active on the boards. I'm hoping we become more involved with him, but unless I missed something (been away past few days), I'm not sure how realistic landing him might be

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The one thing you can say is that Nelson-Odada played in a much better conference. The A-10 is a much higher level conference than the SunBelt.

White's injury history concerns me a little. He missed half of last season and redshirted a whole season earlier in his career due to injuries.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
The one thing you can say is that Nelson-Odada played in a much better conference. The A-10 is a much higher level conference than the SunBelt.

White's injury history concerns me a little. He missed half of last season and redshirted a whole season earlier in his career due to injuries.

Thanks for mentioning the A10 league play. Some top teams there. Makes Nelson-Odada look better than I was regarding him.

I really want to see Lammers get decent PT. I believe he can hold his own and his height doesn't hurt. He also needs to develop for the 2016-17 season.