Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some threads go off topic and that’s ok. We try to keep the recruiting threads about recruits. Let’s keep the transfer thread about transfers.

Today is April 23rd. It’s been mentioned before that to play in the Fall, transfers have to find their new home by May 1st. That’s just over a week. That’s not much more time for this game of musical chairs; the tune will stop and people need a seat.

There should be a lot of news in the next 8 days.
I think they only need to be in the portal by May 1. I could be wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
Yep, you’re right—it’s just entering the portal by May 1. So there’s not as much pressure as I thought. The musical chairs will play on longer. I’d guess the only real pressure is the loss of a scholarship from the original school. I do think spaces will fill up—there are more players than scholarships.

The no-tampering language is clear, and it’s clearly ignored.

Q1: What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?
A1: In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
» Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
» Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
» Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
» Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.
Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer by May 1 if they participate in a fall or winter sport, or July 1 if they participate in a spring sport to use the one-time exception. Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
You can talk to other coaches before you enter the portal as long as 1) you contact them first, they can’t reach out to you 2) you don’t specifically talk about transferring. Lots of these guys have relationships with other coaches from highschool and camps, or they just reach out to connect with them for whatever reason. You don’t have to go radio silent for 4 years.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As mentioned the importance of May 1st is it is simply the day where players have to enter the portal by to be able to play in the fall.
So who you have on your roster on May 1st you know should be there.

Players who are still in the portal can continue to be recruited by schools and pick schools all the way up to the start of fall semester.

There is expected to be a significant number of players hit the portal this week.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Michael Mincey, LB, Vanderbilt, 6'1", 230 ish, in the portal. Played 8 games last year, mostly special teams. He cannot transfer to another SEC school and play immediately as the SEC requires athletes to enter the portal by end of January to receive immediate eligibility. Might be someone for the radar. Originally a Ware County guy.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Andre Turrentine, CB/S, OSU, was an original offer by GT in 2019 out of the Nashville area. Highly rated, but buried at OSU. Our secondary has had a good bit of turnover. Might that continue?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Shocking to hear it's that high...seems you need to have a landing pad before you enter...no wait that not within the rules...the morphing of the system continues.

I think if I were a student athlete right now, I'd want to be pretty darn sure of a controlled landing, NCAA contact rules be damned. Otherwise, I'm not unassing the current flight. But then again, my impetuous youth is behind me....

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• school-nerd-school-dance.gif
    school-nerd-school-dance.gif
    121.3 KB · Views: 18