Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we have a slim chance at a bowl, but only if we can cobble together a serviceable offensive line. And at this point, that's an awfully big if.
This is my biggest concern going into the season. I'm not even convinced we have 5 legitimate ACC level starters, much less acceptable backups.
If the OL isn't significantly better than last year's then it won't matter what talent we have at the QB, RB, WR, TE spots on offense. They won't have time or space to do anything.

DL would be my second biggest concern right now. We got almost no push by our DL in running or passing situations. That has to get better as well or the changes to the secondary won't matter.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
jon bellion GIF
View attachment 12368

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Makes perfect sense, how hard is it to understand one of the best players in the country doesn’t wanna play for the worst Power 5 team in america at the time outside of Kansas. Some people care about winning and playing against the best
That wasn't the statement that made no sense. You've just moved the goalposts. The comment was about empty stats by playing on a bad team.

gtbync

Jolly Good Fellow
The truth is that this offensive lineman wasn't even recruited by us out of high school even though he's in our back yard, had only one P-5 offer (Vanderbilt sniffed around but passed), and warmed the bench his first season at the likes of Kansas. I hope he helps us out, but to say it's a long shot is an understatement. The fact that he's been accepted here now is a sign of our desperation.

Don't take bits and pieces, to try and bash the coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to bash anyone. I hope this guy can help us out, but just supplying a dose of reality here.
He is a long shot, and we are obviously desperate for help on the OL.
This is a bad sign, even for depth imo. Just being realistic.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
How did you come to this conclusion?

Just watch the film. He is relying on his size 90% of the time. Zero usage of his hips for thrust/very low leverage is not going to fly when we go up against Clemson, etc. Upright A LOT with a bad base in most pass pro situations. The technique doesn't look like it's there for run blocking either, especially against guys who are ACC size. The talent he's playing against leaves a lot to be desired as well.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
"Offensive tackle is where he sees me coming in with a chance to contribute," he said. "That's where I see myself too. It was a lot of hard work to get my body to where it is today. A lot of time with the strength and conditioning staff, and a lot of time with the nutrition staff there as well to fill out my frame."

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Just watch the film. He is relying on his size 90% of the time. Zero usage of his hips for thrust/very low leverage is not going to fly when we go up against Clemson, etc. Upright A LOT with a bad base in most pass pro situations. The technique doesn't look like it's there for run blocking either, especially against guys who are ACC size. The talent he's playing against leaves a lot to be desired as well.
At least he will look tall and big on the side line.

Hope he learns fast enough so he is a help in practice and block for extra points.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
There are going to be some guys that get drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round of the NFL draft next weekend that have god awful technique, even some with specifically the problems @Adadu mentioned. But you cannot coach size and O-line coaches are going to take big guys with technique issues because it's their job to fix those issues and coach them up. A guy one year removed from high school with things in his game to clean up is nothing uncommon and an O-line coaches worth his pay should make him a college level football player if not more

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

I’d have to watch some more but Roswell doesn’t exactly play scrubs.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
There are going to be some guys that get drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round of the NFL draft next weekend that have god awful technique, even some with specifically the problems @Adadu mentioned. But you cannot coach size and O-line coaches are going to take big guys with technique issues because it's their job to fix those issues and coach them up. A guy one year removed from high school with things in his game to clean up is nothing uncommon and an O-line coaches worth his pay should make him a college level football player if not more
This is true. I was a tackle myself for a long time and was fortunate enough to play alongside a guy starting at RT in the NFL right now so maybe I'm being too hard on the kid. Just some things I noticed off the rip that would have a lot of guys on the bench for good unless the technique is cleaned up fast.

JacketFan137

Banned
Apologies for analyzing the film my guy. Guess we all just shut up and say hooray all the time now? 3 wins good with everyone?
i don’t think he’s going to be expected to be a starter this season. with 3 years of eligibility left he should probably begin to see the field next year or in 2024. by that time he could be completely different body and technique wise. at the very least a depth issue we have is being addressed. definitely a positive move for the program so that’s probably why criticism is being met poorly