Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Right now on paper we have alot more production leaving through the portal than coming in from the portal, I think that is what concerns fans, We have 2 transfers who clearly transferred up - Gibbs and Ivey.

The issue is we are losing alot of players who played significant snaps -even if for a bad team - and have very few players coming in who have played significant snaps at a P5 level.

For me, here are the main ones so far
Gibbs- 11 starts in 12 games, All-Conference, was the #1 rated RB in the portal. 150 all purpose ypg.
Ivey - stated all 11 games he played, 3rd on team in TFL, 2nd on team in QB hurries.
Domineck - 8 starts in 12 games, 1st in sacks, 4th TFL
Walker - 8 starts in 10 games, 6th in tackles, 2 pass breakups
Yates - 6 starts in 8 games played, 6 TD passes (3 INT), 2 rush TD
Sanders - 6 starts in 11 games, 4th in yds rec and receptions, 2nd in rec TD (3)
Lockhart - 2 starts in 12 games, had 9 tackles, 1/2sack, 1.5 TFL
(this does not include 8 other players who have transferred out since the beginning of the season but really didn't contribute this year)

Even if we get better play from some of the unproven youngsters and transfers in, we are still looking scary in terms of depth.

Compare that with what is coming in
Hassan Hall - totaled 1,299 rushing yds over his career primarily as a backup RB. Starting KR with over 2300 return yds.
Zach Gibson - Played in 17 games over 3 seasons 226-370 with 15 TD's and 8 INT's, but is moving up from one of the worst G5 programs to a P5 program.
Luke Benson - 3rd Fr all-America at TE in 2019. This year he started 3 games and appeared in 11 with 5 receptions for 22 yds. For his career has 19 receptions, 261 yds and 5 TD.
Paul Tchio - played in 14 games with 1 start over 2 seasons at Clemson. About 200 snaps total.
Pierce Quick - played in 8 games over 3 yrs at AL with just a handful of snaps.
Ahmari Harvey - did not play as a FR
Khari Gee - did not play as FR.

Hopefully we can get some more players in the portal this Spring.
Welp...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I get your POV, but what does continuing to b-itch about Collins really achieve right now. It's not like we can b-itch him out of being HC . All were doing is bringing moral down even lower, and players see that .
I get both sides , people are upset at Collins for were we are at, but he's he next year for the time being . Least we can do is support the players and try to help keep them at tech
More of an analogy to explain what is happening to the Tech fan base - to declining interest and to declining attendance - than just another dump Collins comment.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It'll be interesting to see if that bears out. I suspect for most players, playing time is important, culture less so.
And I may be completely off with my thought process. I was just throwing it out there. It could be a mixture of things. It could be the wheels are falling off. Who knows.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are going to need our really young guys and transfers to step up in a big way to get back to .500 this year. 2019 was a transitional class, but even so, 5 of the top 6 rated players on 247sports and 6 of the top 7 on Rivals have transferred out, and the multi-year transfers we took that year have all ended up being busts - even though they came from well-known schools.

I would agree that other than Gibbs the transfers are replaceable - but at this point we are relying on players who have not shown any ability to replace them yet. We just lack any proven production on both sides of the ball. So it is all based on hope right now.

JacketFan137

Banned
We are going to need our really young guys and transfers to step up in a big way to get back to .500 this year. 2019 was a transitional class, but even so, 5 of the top 6 rated players on 247sports and 6 of the top 7 on Rivals have transferred out, and the multi-year transfers we took that year have all ended up being busts - even though they came from well-known schools.

I would agree that other than Gibbs the transfers are replaceable - but at this point we are relying on players who have not shown any ability to replace them yet. We just lack any proven production on both sides of the ball. So it is all based on hope right now.
either way we were gonna be relying on hope. not counting the guys who declared for the draft, almost all the departures people got upset about hadn’t done much and people were more upset we didn’t see their potential

the concern now is collins and patenaude really didn’t indicate that they can develop players and put them in positions to succeed so i’m hoping maybe long can do a better job here. as far as the defense goes, it was so bad it might just be time to go scorched earth reset anyway lol

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

This is pretty much how I felt until yesterday. It worries me when I see this many guys who have lots of playing time, and are certainly pegged for bigger roles, suddenly leaving in clusters. It's not like the guys coming in are clearly better than the players who are leaving. Why are guys with three years toward a GT degree jumping ship?

JacketFan137

Banned
This is pretty much how I felt until yesterday. It worries me when I see this many guys who have lots of playing time, and are certainly pegged for bigger roles, suddenly leaving in clusters. It's not like the guys coming in are clearly better than the players who are leaving. Why are guys with three years toward a GT degree jumping ship?
i think looking at it from the perspective of almost having a degree makes sense for us but i doubt these kids realize how important of a decision it is. portal is easy instant gratification. also i know some of the guys have graduated

the fact they’re leaving before spring practice and what kelly quinlan has reported was coaches had their pre spring practice meetings and most of these guys were informed that their status was not what they wanted/expected. new coaches came in at almost all of these positions, RB, DL, and DB seeming like the most transfers and three areas we hired new coaches. guys come in like that and have no previous feelings toward what’s on the roster so they probably want to see who wins the position battle.

if anything we’re gonna be young and a lot of freshman and sophomores may get to play. could really help us out in 2023 be it for collins or a new head coach

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
i think looking at it from the perspective of almost having a degree makes sense for us but i doubt these kids realize how important of a decision it is. portal is easy instant gratification. also i know some of the guys have graduated

the fact they’re leaving before spring practice and what kelly quinlan has reported was coaches had their pre spring practice meetings and most of these guys were informed that their status was not what they wanted/expected. new coaches came in at almost all of these positions, RB, DL, and DB seeming like the most transfers and three areas we hired new coaches. guys come in like that and have no previous feelings toward what’s on the roster so they probably want to see who wins the position battle.

if anything we’re gonna be young and a lot of freshman and sophomores may get to play. could really help us out in 2023 be it for collins or a new head coach
I hope you are correct and I have no reason to challenge your POV. Fingers crossed.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The portal works both ways. Some of this is addition by subtraction.

New staff. New energy. New focus. Heightened intensity.

They’ll be more after spring. Some voluntary some not so voluntary.
I HOPE this is the case, but it’s just hope. We don’t know this, unfortunately. We’re all speculating and what you say above is the speculation I choose, too!

However (and correct me if I’m wrong), we’ve lost the most defensively. I’d love to believe “new coaches, new focus, new energy” but the defensive side of the ball has the least coaching turnover. You’d expect to see the dissenters on the other side of the ball if for the reasons above...

At any rate, I’m still going to maintain hope that any changes at this point are positive changes. Speculation again, but....

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
I hope you are correct and I have no reason to challenge your POV. Fingers crossed.
i felt similar in 2015. obviously that year sucks and this year may end the same. if you remember in 2015 like half the offense got season ending injuries at ND it felt like. it cleared the way for some freshman to play and in 2016 we had a solid team.

i know people don’t want spins and optimism and i don’t blame them for that at all but some young guys will get a chance to show their worth and play asap. and who knows maybe fresh blood and young, hungry guys is what we need. if an nfl team went 3-9 3 years in a row i’m sure the gm would turn that roster over like this haha

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Always lots of transfers with a head coaching change unless the new guy is a slam dunk or is from within the program and well respected by the players. Recruiting can take a hit with a new staff. The portal will lose some of its luster when the COVID year cycles out. That extra year is another motivator to take a chance. Some of these kids will likely be left out in lala land with no good alternative. The portal will be very useful for a new staff to exploit.