Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Understandable those "Cabbagetown" boys were pretty tough too. I went to Northside when Weyman Creel was still there. In my sister's time, Northside, North Fulton, and Murphy were the best teams in Atlanta but that was not saying much. In my day, the best teams were Dykes, North Fulton, and Westminster.
I played under Coach Creel (or, to be more exact, he ran the team) too. And played at Dykes. Old home week, I guess.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
We not only need to sign a "Justin Williams" but we also need a "Transfer Portal" RB imo.

We are losing to my count 5 so far....

1 - Jamyr Gibbs
6 - Jamious Griffin
27 - Jordan Mason
28 - Tony Amerson
29 - Bruce Jordan-Swilling

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per Russell Johnson(visit ended on Sunday, Dec. 5):

Georgia Tech’s offense needs some immediate help on the offensive line and a former Brent Key recruit at Alabama hit the portal this past week and was on the Flats for an official visit this weekend. Pierce Quick the former Rivals 100 lineman was recruited by Key and signed with Bama before Key returned to Georgia Tech. Quick only played 33 snaps on offense during his time with the Crimson Tide with most of those snaps coming at left guard, but he is capable of playing multiple positions on the line.

Key recruited Quick to Alabama and their relationship is a key piece of the equation for the talented lineman who also bonded with head coach Geoff Collins during the visit.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The portal is ruining college football. It sends the wrong message to the kids that don’t worry you can just change schools and not honor your commitment. Furthermore most of these kids don’t do much once they transfer so it creates false hope.

Yes, it's the kids being able to change schools that's ruining college football. Not coaches making $15mil a year...

Any college student can change schools at any time, and maintain their credits (as long as they transfer). So it's certainly not an academic reason to chain them to one place.

Things change. Coaches change. Promises are broken. You aren't getting playing time. Etc.

Want to change it? Stop making college football the minor league for the NFL. However, that would pull most of the money out of the game.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Imagine I came up to someone at their first day at a new job and harangued them about "not honoring their commitment" to their previous employer.

But once we start talking about 20 year-old kids and your favorite football team, it's suddenly a problem. :rolleyes:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's the kids being able to change schools that's ruining college football. Not coaches making $15mil a year...

Any college student can change schools at any time, and maintain their credits (as long as they transfer). So it's certainly not an academic reason to chain them to one place.

Things change. Coaches change. Promises are broken. You aren't getting playing time. Etc.

Want to change it? Stop making college football the minor league for the NFL. However, that would pull most of the money out of the game.
⬆️

It’s all about the benjamins now. Everyone knows something stinks about college football but we hold our noses in the hopes that this corrupt system might pay off for my team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We not only need to sign a "Justin Williams" but we also need a "Transfer Portal" RB imo.

We are losing to my count 5 so far....

1 - Jamyr Gibbs
6 - Jamious Griffin
27 - Jordan Mason
28 - Tony Amerson
29 - Bruce Jordan-Swilling

BJS and And Mason are graduating. BJS and Amerson were buried and weren't going to be contributors anyways. Losing Gibbs hurt. A LOT. Probably as much or more a blow to the perception of our program as well as a loss on the field. Mason has a new child and was already planning on moving on and making a living to support his family.

Griffin is the interesting one. It's obvious in retrospect that he planned on transferring when he declared a redshirt in early November. He was also buried on the depth chart. As talented as he was, he wasn't passing Mason or Dontae, much less Gibbs. Gotta wonder if maybe he burned one too many bridges with the staff this fall. Or maybe he is the canary in the coal mine indicating just how much disfunction there is in our program. It's possible it's some of each.

We do have a promising 4* recruit as well as a 3* RB in the pipeline for next year. We could also hit the portal for an upperclassman to help mentor the new recruits and spell Dontae. We definitely no longer have the deepest RB room in the ACC, but it's not yet doom and gloom either.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
BJS and And Mason are graduating. BJS and Amerson were buried and weren't going to be contributors anyways. Losing Gibbs hurt. A LOT. Probably as much or more a blow to the perception of our program as well as a loss on the field. Mason has a new child and was already planning on moving on and making a living to support his family.

Griffin is the interesting one. It's obvious in retrospect that he planned on transferring when he declared a redshirt in early November. He was also buried on the depth chart. As talented as he was, he wasn't passing Mason or Dontae, much less Gibbs. Gotta wonder if maybe he burned one too many bridges with the staff this fall. Or maybe he is the canary in the coal mine indicating just how much disfunction there is in our program. It's possible it's some of each.

We do have a promising 4* recruit as well as a 3* RB in the pipeline for next year. We could also hit the portal for an upperclassman to help mentor the new recruits and spell Dontae. We definitely no longer have the deepest RB room in the ACC, but it's not yet doom and gloom either.

Dontae can definitely be the one. But would love to get a Hassan Hall to spell him.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Some of these kids should just sue the NFL for age discrimination. There's no legitimate legal reason that the NFL doesn't allow 18 year old athletes to be drafted. That would break this thing up in a hurry and totally remove the need for the semi-pro nature of college football.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of these kids should just sue the NFL for age discrimination. There's no legitimate legal reason that the NFL doesn't allow 18 year old athletes to be drafted. That would break this thing up in a hurry and totally remove the need for the semi-pro nature of college football.
Clarett and the usc receiver Mike williams tried and gave up. The issue is that the NFL collectively bargained with the players union to institute the age requirement.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

They've already lost that battle in court.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Clarett and the usc receiver Mike williams tried and gave up. The issue is that the NFL collectively bargained with the players union to institute the age requirement.
Oh, that's right...because it's part of a contract with a union then the equal employment opportunity laws can just be ignored! I'd forgotten about that lovely detail of American politics. Sigh.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Yes sir. Just thinking from a bodies standpoint.

I hope we can bring in at least one more RB. "Losing" 5 and adding only 2 so far and true frosh at that..... I am sure CGC is aware and on it.