Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So far, our transfer numbers seem normal for the ACC

“Above average but normal” because we have one more in the portal than most ACC teams.

Doesn’t explain too much. I would love to see a breakdown of average playing time for portal transfers and the percentage that “transfer up” versus transferring laterally versus “transferrring down.”

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
He had more talent and depth than he did at Northside. Jim Kroll, Mike Johnson, Jack Fuqua among others were all fine players but Creel got more out of them.
I don't know if Weyman understood what was happening in the the neighborhoods around Lakeside but he sure did benefit by the suburban expansion and the numbers of talented, athletic kids that ended up in the Lakeside area and Henderson to a lesser amount in the 70's. I heard Mike Johnson came to Tech "for a cup of coffee", so to speak and John O'Neal (from the class of 74) came here and played. Mike was a phenomenal athlete.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
When I was at Tech in the early 70's I would go to the lakeside games with my father in law. My wife was in lakeside's first graduation class (1967). They had a QB I think named Mike Johnson who was darn good. Went to a play off game against Griffin HS and Tony Hood was on their team. He played at GT. Creel was a great HS coach.
When it opened they almost immediately went to double sessions and trailers, I think. Did she do that double session stuff?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Are the 70's OK to discuss?
I thought this was the transfer portal? No?

I started out at rival Henderson H.S., playing on the baseball and track teams(therefore remember seeing Creel at our games/matches). He loved all sports, and those were the days coaches taught Physical Education classes at school M-Fri.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
When it opened they almost immediately went to double sessions and trailers, I think. Did she do that double session stuff?
She thinks it was when they were still at Briarcliff before lakeside opened. Also I think it was Tony Head at Griffin.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I thought this was the transfer portal? No?

I started out at rival Henderson H.S., playing on the baseball and track teams(therefore remember seeing Creel at our games/matches). He loved all sports, and those were the days coaches taught Physical Education classes at school M-Fri.
Speaking of track, Henderson had a tremedous relay team in the early 70's. Do I have the name Rick Celk correct? Were you there when "Hondo" Williamson was there.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of track, Henderson had a tremedous relay team in the early 70's. Do I have the name Rick Celk correct? Were you there when "Hondo" Williamson was there.
They ran sub 3:20 and were the best in the county (mile relay). That relay team would be very competitive today. I ran at Lithonia and later coached at Avondale.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Rick was just prior to me. Hondo would turn the lights out in shop class and fire wood chips around the room. He looked like a Jersey Devil or one of Hel_ ‘s Angels. Really mature with his speech. I will say that he had hockey knowledge like no other, when not on dope. Baseball we had pros. such as Pete Ladd, Jim Wilhelm as my mentors. I ended up at North Fulton in Buckhead, w/ an outstanding man, Coach Fred Fussell.

Apologies for the hijack.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if Weyman understood what was happening in the the neighborhoods around Lakeside but he sure did benefit by the suburban expansion and the numbers of talented, athletic kids that ended up in the Lakeside area and Henderson to a lesser amount in the 70's. I heard Mike Johnson came to Tech "for a cup of coffee", so to speak and John O'Neal (from the class of 74) came here and played. Mike was a phenomenal athlete.
He understood. There was little about high school football he did not understand including the effects of housing patterns. I have a friend in church who played running back for Henderson at that time and he said that Lakeside's second string was about as good as the first string. Henderson actually defeated Lakeside in the region championship in 1972 (?). He said that Henderson's tailback was injured and as he was the starting fullback stepped into that role. Coach Creel came by their dressing room to personally seek him out and praise him. A classy thing to do I would think.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Rick was just prior to me. Hondo would turn the lights out in shop class and fire wood chips around the room. He looked like a Jersey Devil or one of Hel_ ‘s Angels. Really mature with his speech. I will say that he had hockey knowledge like no other, when not on dope. Baseball we had pros. such as Pete Ladd, Jim Wilhelm as my mentors. I ended up at North Fulton in Buckhead, w/ an outstanding man, Coach Fred Fussell.

Did you happen to know Steve Crawford, Herman Jeter, or Slocumb the quarterback? A great team in 1971 that surprised a lot of people in making it to the state finals that year. Sorry about the old home week for ATL has beens that hijacked this thread. My apologies.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Did you happen to know Steve Crawford, Herman Jeter, or Slocumb the quarterback? A great team in 1971 that surprised a lot of people in making it to the state finals that year. Sorry about the old home week for ATL has beens that hijacked this thread. My apologies.
Those guys were before me. I did know the Rhino & Myers family. David Rhino was in my age group. He was a little guy, but fine athlete. One of my best memories of watching GT Football was Randy returning that punt 95 yards vs. SC.

Looks like Tech re-offered the 2022 athlete from Camden County last night. No portal news to report.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

There an amatuer hockey league that Neal and other Dekalb Co guys played in that started out as street hockey in the greater neighborhood. I met Neal for the first time when his daughter and mine were at SPX together. I liked him for mega-dwag. :)