Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Some of these kids should just sue the NFL for age discrimination. There's no legitimate legal reason that the NFL doesn't allow 18 year old athletes to be drafted. That would break this thing up in a hurry and totally remove the need for the semi-pro nature of college football.
That would make a big difference Imo, we’d mostly be left with a bunch of low 4’s, 3 and 2 star kids to recruit from. It would put a huge emphasis on a coaching staff‘s ability to evaluate talent and coach kids up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oh, that's right...because it's part of a contract with a union then the equal employment opportunity laws can just be ignored! I'd forgotten about that lovely detail of American politics. Sigh.

They lost the battle in court and it had nothing to do with the union. It had everything to do with how companies are allowed to set minimum ages as a condition of employment. It's why the NBA gets away with the 19 years old and one NBA season removed from HS requirement for the draft. As long as the NFL and NBA don't selectively enforce the rule, the Equal Opportunity Act never comes into play, as everyone starts on the same playing field.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
when Creel went to Lakeside he turned them into one the best in the state.
When I was at Tech in the early 70's I would go to the lakeside games with my father in law. My wife was in lakeside's first graduation class (1967). They had a QB I think named Mike Johnson who was darn good. Went to a play off game against Griffin HS and Tony Hood was on their team. He played at GT. Creel was a great HS coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I went to Northside in 1964 and 1965. Creel was there and also Ozzie Wadewitz, who was born near where I live in Wisconsin.
Did you by chance, know Lee Daniels an all state lineman and Brad Jordan? I could tell you some tales about those teams and how much my father complained about Coach Creel's playing favorites with a player that slightly tarnished his otherwise sterling reputation. My sister called him the "living legend". I was 10 at the time but went to all the Northside games.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So far, our transfer numbers seem normal for the ACC

Someone could just about write a book on the effects of the portal and all the juicy, no doubt, tidbits on why so and so chose to enter and why so and so went to a particular school, who got the shaft, who benefited, what lies were told and so forth.

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was at Tech in the early 70's I would go to the lakeside games with my father in law. My wife was in lakeside's first graduation class (1967). They had a QB I think named Mike Johnson who was darn good. Went to a play off game against Griffin HS and Tony Hood was on their team. He played at GT. Creel was a great HS coach.
Golf.....FWIW, coaching changes have always had consequences...and casualties....
Mike Johnson was star I-formation QB for Tech's last Freshman-only team in 1973... a team that went an undefeated 7-0 beating GA, Tenn, Ala, Fla, SC, and others....The pride of Griffin GA, Tony Head was the leading rusher....but the offense was 90% Johnson throwing the ball.....Fulcher resigns, Pepper brings in the WB.... and MIke becomes another "what-could-have-been" Tech story.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That would make a big difference Imo, we’d mostly be left with a bunch of low 4’s, 3 and 2 star kids to recruit from. It would put a huge emphasis on a coaching staff‘s ability to evaluate talent and coach kids up.
Mason was one of those low 3s. So was Smith. The stars make a difference for 5 star guys, but the rest is a crapshoot, say I.

Of course, you have to be able to actually sort talent to make any of this work. Harder to do then we think.

Update: I forgot the obvious ploy for our RB situation. Move Tobias to RB. He is great at running the ball: cute, hard as the dickens to bring down, fast enough. I don't know if he has graduated, but if not … Nah. Collins would never do it.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Golf.....FWIW, coaching changes have always had consequences...and casualties....
Mike Johnson was star I-formation QB for Tech's last Freshman-only team in 1973... a team that went an undefeated 7-0 beating GA, Tenn, Ala, Fla, SC, and others....The pride of Griffin GA, Tony Head was the leading rusher....but the offense was 90% Johnson throwing the ball.....Fulcher resigns, Pepper brings in the WB.... and MIke becomes another "what-could-have-been" Tech story.
But not Tony Head. I shudder to think how good he would have been as a BB in the spread option. The guy was a full scale horse.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Mason was one of those low 3s. So was Smith. The stars make a difference for 5 star guys, but the rest is a crapshoot, say I.

Of course, you have to be able to actually sort talent to make any of this work. Harder to do then we think.

Update: I forgot the obvious ploy for our RB situation. Move Tobias to RB. He is great at running the ball: cute, hard as the dickens to bring down, fast enough. I don't know if he has graduated, but if not … Nah. Collins would never do it.
I agree, we make our living at GT football finding 2 and 3 stars that can ball out, or at least we used to...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We moved away from Atlanta and I forgot that Johnson had come to Tech. Hood was a heck of a LB at Griffin if my memory is correct. I came to a few games back in Pepper days.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Interesting that you mentions Collins not being innovative.He talked originally of "doing different stuff" to be successful-- Like-I think he said once he had a fast running back be a designated pass rusher on 3rd down.The only innovative things I recall in 3 yrs were the FG kicker pass for TD vs uM and the DEF change to a 3-3-5 for unc this yr ( what a shot in the dark that was)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My brother spent a season as a college student assistant under coach Creel at Lakeside and went on himself to be a really good D coach. Even to this day he quotes coach Creel on situational basics on D.

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan

Sus

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
LSU QB Max Johnson is in the Portal.
His brother Jake John's is a highly rated TE in the 2022 class.

Both highly rated.
Both from Oconee County, Watkinsville GA.

Maybe Chip Long could pull off something amazing?..... 🤔