Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Isn't The Dwags best DT a 3 star? Recruiting is a crap shoot at times - One of our best DT in recent memory Vance Walker, was unranked out of Highschool and played several seasons in the NFL
College and professional sports put the inefficacy of current talent assessment concepts on full display.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Who cares, it's about winning at GT, not the NFL. I love to see further players succeed, but at the end of the day, the NFL does nothing for GT.
The point is getting more and developing more nfl calibers players. Yes we had a few over the years but be we are lacking in that compared to a whole lot of programs. We just need a big upgrade in the quarterback and d line position from the last 25 years that we’ve had. That’s been our biggest problem for a very long time. Get them and I promise you will see a world of difference in our record. Yes o line as well that makes a difference also but we tend to struggle at the quarterback and d line positions more over the years.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The point is getting more and developing more nfl calibers players. Yes we had a few over the years but be we are lacking in that compared to a whole lot of programs. We just need a big upgrade in the quarterback and d line position from the last 25 years that we’ve had. That’s been our biggest problem for a very long time. Get them and I promise you will see a world of difference in our record. Yes o line as well that makes a difference also but we tend to struggle at the quarterback and d line positions more over the years.
I agree, dl has been an issue most of the time. And even when we have an ok dl, it's usually one really really good player instead of decent all around.

This year's class has some promising DT's though, fortunately.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't like to be picky but with a limited number of scholarships, limited time of coaching staff, and limited number for playing minutes I would not make recruiting decisions based on which athletes are supposed to be "nfl caliber." For one thing, such predictions are notoriously unreliable. More importantly, someone who can compete for an NFL roster slot may not be one who adds much to a successful college program and vice versa. Trying to run as many eventual NFL guys through your program as you can get doesn't seem like much of a strategy for winning games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don't like to be picky but with a limited number of scholarships, limited time of coaching staff, and limited number for playing minutes I would not make recruiting decisions based on which athletes are supposed to be "nfl caliber." For one thing, such predictions are notoriously unreliable. More importantly, someone who can compete for an NFL roster slot may not be one who adds much to a successful college program and vice versa. Trying to run as many eventual NFL guys through your program as you can get doesn't seem like much of a strategy for winning games.
Are you saying you don’t believe there’s a positive correlation between NFL talent and successful college football?

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Are you saying you don’t believe there’s a positive correlation between NFL talent and successful college football?
You could look at athletes who have held NFL roster slots for a certain minimum of time and find that they tend to come from successful college programs. That doesn't mean a college program becomes successful by spending all its recruiting resources trying to get athletes who are supposed to be NFL talent. Two different things

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I think he is saying get players that make your team better. Joe Hamilton was not a NFL star but he sure was a great college player.
Right. I didn't realize It was taking over people's heads.
You have to account for where GT is now. Horn-dogging the highest-rated athletes is going to have a low rate of return for GT at this time. Few of those will sign here and those who do will not transform the rest of the program by themselves and will likely not stay long. It would be much wiser to ignore NFL hype and spend recruiting resources on athletes who are under-rated and will move our needle the right direction. You have 11 players on the field at a time. If I were HC I would upgrade all the positions where we are poor to good before trying to upgrade to good to great.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. I didn't realize It was taking over people's heads.
You have to account for where GT is now. Horn-dogging the highest-rated athletes is going to have a low rate of return for GT at this time. Few of those will sign here and those who do will not transform the rest of the program by themselves and will likely not stay long. It would be much wiser to ignore NFL hype and spend recruiting resources on athletes who are under-rated and will move our needle the right direction. You have 11 players on the field at a time. If I were HC I would upgrade all the positions where we are poor to good before trying to upgrade to good to great.
Both sides of the argument are ridiculous.
I assure you that the 2007 class certainly had multiple guys who were highly rated and were considered NFL type guys.
On the other hand, Vance Walker and Michael Johnson were part of the 2006 class that lined up with Derrick Morgan and played in front of Morgan Burnett. We need both.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You could look at athletes who have held NFL roster slots for a certain minimum of time and find that they tend to come from successful college programs. That doesn't mean a college program becomes successful by spending all its recruiting resources trying to get athletes who are supposed to be NFL talent. Two different things
Unless they don't. I remember the University of Mars's most famous grad and NFL Hall of Fame member, Otis Sistrunk. The NFL still has a lot of players who never went to college.

In general, of course, you are right, about both the riskiness of recruiting "NFL-level" talent (Aaron Donaldis my favorite example) and the predominance of major college players in the NFL.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Would feel better if he took the time to spell Georgia right.
At least we weren’t GTU! I’m pumped when 5* players tweet about us offering. Puts our name out there. Shows legitimacy, even if they’re not truly interested. We know he’s tweeted out offer at least twice. That’s more than he’s tweeted anyone else’s offer.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
At least we weren’t GTU! I’m pumped when 5* players tweet about us offering. Puts our name out there. Shows legitimacy, even if they’re not truly interested. We know he’s tweeted out offer at least twice. That’s more than he’s tweeted anyone else’s offer.
We are due for some startling good news!

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Gibbs announcing his transfer to Alabama will move Young away from the Tide? I will be surprised if we can compete with the blue blood programs for this kid, but the tweet is interesting.

Who is this? I can’t see tweets on here.