Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs didn’t even rush for 100 yards in 3 games COMBINED against Clemson, ND, UGA. Yet i’m crazy for suggesting he might want to prove he can play against the best, And some might say his stats were empty…

JacketFan137

Banned
Gibbs didn’t even rush for 100 yards in 3 games COMBINED against Clemson, ND, UGA. Yet i’m crazy for suggesting he might want to prove he can play against the best, And some might say his stats were empty…
you are. can't do much when the offense in all three games was awful and being lead by a backup QB who couldn't throw the ball 10 yards downfield bringing all the defense basically on top of the line of scrimmage. playing at bama with a better o line and QB will do him wonders. His speed jumps off the film so its basically just a matter of getting him the ball in space be it through creating holes with the line or in the passing game. at bama they will have actual nfl talent elsewhere on the field so if teams want to play him like they played us they can have fun watching bama WR's torch them over the top for 50+ yards every possession. he also didnt even play a whole half against uga so im not sure why you would even bring that game up

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What about his Stats against the good teams he played? He clearly has something to prove.

Any talent evaluator worth his/her salt can figure that situation out. That guy has absolutely nothing to prove.

He probably left because he got tired of having to avoid multiple defenders in the backfield consistently.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
you are. can't do much when the offense in all three games was awful and being lead by a backup QB who couldn't throw the ball 10 yards downfield bringing all the defense basically on top of the line of scrimmage. playing at bama with a better o line and QB will do him wonders. His speed jumps off the film so its basically just a matter of getting him the ball in space be it through creating holes with the line or in the passing game. at bama they will have actual nfl talent elsewhere on the field so if teams want to play him like they played us they can have fun watching bama WR's torch them over the top for 50+ yards every possession. he also didnt even play a whole half against uga so im not sure why you would even bring that game up
Weird theory considering Gibbs had -10, and 40 yards against Pitt and Duke, when that really awful terrible division 7 QB wasnt playing. In reality Gibbs isn't going to be a RB grinding out big yardage games. He only had two 100+ yard games this year and in both of those games he got more than half of his yards on one play. He is a home run hitter type of RB that also excels in receiving and kick returns. If you stop him from breaking one then his rushing numbers are going to look pedestrian. He will still likely beat you receiving or on returns. If you stop him on all three, kudos on the good defensive game plan.

JacketFan137

Banned
Weird theory considering Gibbs had -10, and 40 yards against Pitt and Duke, when that really awful terrible division 7 QB wasnt playing. In reality Gibbs isn't going to be a RB grinding out big yardage games. He only had two 100+ yard games this year and in both of those games he got more than half of his yards on one play. He is a home run hitter type of RB that also excels in receiving and kick returns. If you stop him from breaking one then his rushing numbers are going to look pedestrian. He will still likely beat you receiving or on returns. If you stop him on all three, kudos on the good defensive game plan.
he had 125 yards receiving against pittsburgh and 80 against duke so trying to point out those rushing yards like he didnt do anything is just weird. idk what point youre trying to even prove here. he doesn't have to be grinding between the tackles to show hes an effective player. he is like a carbon copy of alvin kamara who is a pretty unquestioned top 5 RB in football. its not 1980 anymore where your RB has to line up behind the full back and gut out 35 carries out of the I.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Any talent evaluator worth his/her salt can figure that situation out. That guy has absolutely nothing to prove.

He probably left because he got tired of having to avoid multiple defenders in the backfield consistently.
His raw talent isn’t in question. It’s becoming common in The NFL draft to have 1 RB or less go in the first round now. Deandre Swift is a comparable RB to Gibbs in terms of play-style, Look at his college #s, and where he did it and who he did it against. Swift wasn’t a 1st rounder. Idk why it’s so hard to process that Gibbs needed to up his competition to impress NFL teams. If he stayed at Tech there’s a chance he could’ve slipped to the 3rd round. Out of Bama he’s going to next years draft and will easily go early 2nd. SEC Football means something to decision makers

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
His raw talent isn’t in question. It’s becoming common in The NFL draft to have 1 RB or less go in the first round now. Deandre Swift is a comparable RB to Gibbs in terms of play-style, Look at his college #s, and where he did it and who he did it against. Swift wasn’t a 1st rounder. Idk why it’s so hard to process that Gibbs needed to up his competition to impress NFL teams. If he stayed at Tech there’s a chance he could’ve slipped to the 3rd round. Out of Bama he’s going to next years draft and will easily go early 2nd. SEC Football means something to decision makers

I'm not even sure what we're arguing about at this point.

HIs stats at GT will hurt GT more than they hurt him.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
he had 125 yards receiving against pittsburgh and 80 against duke so trying to point out those rushing yards like he didnt do anything is just weird. idk what point youre trying to even prove here. he doesn't have to be grinding between the tackles to show hes an effective player. he is like a carbon copy of alvin kamara who is a pretty unquestioned top 5 RB in football. its not 1980 anymore where your RB has to line up behind the full back and gut out 35 carries out of the I.
The post you responded to was about his rushing yard totals. Your theory was that because Yates can't throw a football 10 yards like most 7 year old kids can Gibbs couldnt get more rushing yards. I will just say I disagree with the theory. I think other factors led to his rushing totals.

JacketFan137

Banned
The post you responded to was about his rushing yard totals. Your theory was that because Yates can't throw a football 10 yards like most 7 year old kids can Gibbs couldnt get more rushing yards. I will just say I disagree with the theory. I think other factors led to his rushing totals.
if you watch the film it is unbelievably easy to see that this is exactly what happened vs boston college, clemson and notre dame. uga didnt have to because their front is so ridiculous. our o line also did him no favors. whatever shortcomings gibbs had here had nothing to do with anything gibbs did and rested almost entirely on the failures of the coordinator and o line.

the nfl draft/talent evaluating community have had gibbs on their radar since 2020. Had bijan robinson not existed i think hed have a good shot at going as the RB1 and with the more modern nfl offenses demanding more passing work from their RBs he is a pretty easy bet to go as an early day 2 pick. these were things literally everyone saw at georgia tech. im sure practicing with better competition at bama and working with their S&C program (ours is good but theres a reason bama is bigger than everyone) will help but he was going to be just fine either way

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Gibbs only had 2 attempts vs uga. He averaged 4.8 yds per attempt against ND. Clemson is really the only team that stuffed him.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Guess what? his stats are GT this year will be non existent. move on.
Completely agree with this statement. Gibbs was exciting and sorry to see him leave. But more important is our RB core in 2022 which includes 1 holdover, 2 transfers and an incoming freshman. I think the RB core will be solid but not as game breaking. But hopefully they will generate enough offense to get us to 6 wins or more (I only predicted 4 wins but hope runs higher in April than when football games results actually come in).

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Completely agree with this statement. Gibbs was exciting and sorry to see him leave. But more important is our RB core in 2022 which includes 1 holdover, 2 transfers and an incoming freshman. I think the RB core will be solid but not as game breaking. But hopefully they will generate enough offense to get us to 6 wins or more (I only predicted 4 wins but hope runs higher in April than when football games results actually come in).
I am feeling more optimistic , mainly because of McDuffie. Was predicting 3 wins , now I am predicting 3 wins and a tie :unsure::playful:
No seriously, I am thinking we just might get to 6 with a more consistent O and serviceable D. 🤞

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I am feeling more optimistic , mainly because of McDuffie. Was predicting 3 wins , now I am predicting 3 wins and a tie :unsure::playful:
No seriously, I am thinking we just might get to 6 with a more consistent O and serviceable D. 🤞
Welcome to the few, the brave, the foolish. But I am going with a bowl game this year. A decent O will make the defense so much better. I am still mad we had NFL capable Line Backers playing in the backfield, not letting some true backfield players get on the field and also not making our LB corp that much stronger. What could have been last year had it nobe been for more terrible coaching decisions.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the few, the brave, the foolish. But I am going with a bowl game this year. A decent O will make the defense so much better. I am still mad we had NFL capable Line Backers playing in the backfield, not letting some true backfield players get on the field and also not making our LB corp that much stronger. What could have been last year had it nobe been for more terrible coaching decisions.
I think we have a slim chance at a bowl, but only if we can cobble together a serviceable offensive line. And at this point, that's an awfully big if.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

more depth and size at o line. our already improved o line is now better

The truth is that this offensive lineman wasn't even recruited by us out of high school even though he's in our back yard, had only one P-5 offer (Vanderbilt sniffed around but passed), and warmed the bench his first season at the likes of Kansas. I hope he helps us out, but to say it's a long shot is an understatement. The fact that he's been accepted here now is a sign of our desperation.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
jon bellion GIF