Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Seems highly likely he's not staying as DC, so it's a moot point imho. I mean, yall can keep arguing tho. It's mildly entertaining .. I guess.

Tired Fat Cat GIF by Boomerang Official
No, it's not.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just my interpretation of the article

Key sees his team every day. He hasn’t been shy about making a move.

We interviewed a lot of outside candidates before landing on Key. Maybe we do the same with Sherrer.

This has been really quiet. 🤐 There’s nothing in the local paper about interviews. It’s really unusual from my perspective
From what Kelly and Russell said, there have been no in-person interviews, so there's no way for the media to know unless CBK or his secretary tells them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A couple of thoughts here:
  • Between now and the portal closing we'll continue to see players from teams who are no longer playing enter the portal so it's possible you might see some more UGA players, for example, enter as the portal closes the day after the Jan 1 bowl games. However, you should not infer that I'm suggesting there will be a huge influx of defensive studs entering. Just that there are probably still going to be a few meaningful entrants over the next few days.
  • This is only my opinion but I do think that of the guys who have not committed yet (I mean ones that most would consider worth having) a significant chunk are waiting to see who leaves and what shakes out at the schools they are interested in. I'll bet that some are being told that school X isn't sure they'll have a spot because they are targeting another player but if they don't get that player than they will have a spot and some will wait. I also think some will see an opportunity to take a semester off from school and then see what shakes out in spring practices, who leaves which schools and then some schools will be desperate to fill slots (if this sounds a little like how free agency in the NFL goes then yeah, that's not accidental).
I don't see us bringing in a bunch of stud defenders. I do see us getting some players who have a great chance to be in our starting lineup come next fall on defense and I'd speculate that a number of those would be guys with one year of eligibility left. Similar to Paul Moala and Connor Scaglione.
Paul Maola still has 1 year of eligibility left. He chose to enter the NFL draft instead of coming back for another year. Scaglione is done.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Paul Maola still has 1 year of eligibility left. He chose to enter the NFL draft instead of coming back for another year. Scaglione is done.
Are you sure? Honest question. I look at his stats and I see him playing in six seasons. For sure one of those is a redshirt. And one is the COVID year, right? So how does he have a seventh year?

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
There was an article in the AJC after Sherrer took over. He talked about how his responsibilities and workload changed, and how hard it was on his family. It made me wonder if he wants to be a full time DC.
You don’t go into coaching without an understanding of how it can impact your family.

Not saying it’s tight but put on you big boy pants.