Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sherrer took over after the fourth game and was Co-DC prior to that. How much better will the coaching be if he stays the DC?
Seems highly likely he's not staying as DC, so it's a moot point imho. I mean, yall can keep arguing tho. It's mildly entertaining .. I guess.

Tired Fat Cat GIF by Boomerang Official

slugboy

Staff member
So, do you think he had any input into the results on the field?

He did.

Slightly more than Coleman and Tillman. Maybe the same.

He wasn’t in charge until he took over DC duties. Even though he had an inflated title, there’s no reason to inflate the authority he had to begin the season.

Whether or not Sherrer is the DC next year, it’s clear the defense is getting reworked this offseason.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a theory on why a lot of defense leaving-
We’ve gotten a handful of people through the portal, but nobody too expensive. Retaining our talented but also not too expensive offense, I think we are set up with a really solid NIL budget and the rumor in the locker room is we’re bringing in some dogs on D.
I feel like most of our NIL went towards offense last year, and it paid clear dividends. But the script is about to flip. Ladies and gentlemen if this prophecy is true, I think the jackets are fixing to be a dangerous *** team.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Seems highly likely he's not staying as DC, so it's a moot point imho. I mean, yall can keep arguing tho. It's mildly entertaining .. I guess.

Tired Fat Cat GIF by Boomerang Official
I hope you are right, but many fonts seem to think he is staying. Until we get confirmation that we have a new DC, not sure how you can say it highly unlikely he is not staying.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Slightly more than Coleman and Tillman. Maybe the same.

He wasn’t in charge until he took over DC duties. Even though he had an inflated title, there’s no reason to inflate the authority he had to begin the season.

Whether or not Sherrer is the DC next year, it’s clear the defense is getting reworked this offseason.
Since neither of us were in the staff meetings or know exactly what role and responsibilities he had prior to the switch, I am not sure how you can claim to have knowledge of his input.

Regardless, he was a senior member of the defensive staff that was putrid. His unit contributed significantly to the mess. Maybe the defense will improve drastically with the attrition and a full season with him as DC, but I have serious doubts.

slugboy

Staff member
Since neither of us were in the staff meetings or know exactly what role and responsibilities he had prior to the switch, I am not sure how you can claim to have knowledge of his input.

Regardless, he was a senior member of the defensive staff that was putrid. His unit contributed significantly to the mess. Maybe the defense will improve drastically with the attrition and a full season with him as DC, but I have serious doubts.
There was an article in the AJC after Sherrer took over. He talked about how his responsibilities and workload changed, and how hard it was on his family. It made me wonder if he wants to be a full time DC.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
There was an article in the AJC after Sherrer took over. He talked about how his responsibilities and workload changed, and how hard it was on his family. It made me wonder if he wants to be a full time DC.

This thread probably would have benefited from this extra perspective a few pages ago. 😉

But, seriously, yeah it seems reasonable that over the course the season that one could have a reckoning on his limits/priorities. And if it is the case that DC isn’t it, somewhat like Thacker, I’d hope that he and Coach Key could find an agreement where he might best fit on staff, if he’s still committed and contributing.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I do not dispute his responsibilities and workload changed. I am just not sure it was as little as you seem to be suggesting. The truth is probably he had some enhanced responsibilities beyond a regular position coach, but not full control or responsibility, which is all I was ever saying he had.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Just a theory on why a lot of defense leaving-
We’ve gotten a handful of people through the portal, but nobody too expensive. Retaining our talented but also not too expensive offense, I think we are set up with a really solid NIL budget and the rumor in the locker room is we’re bringing in some dogs on D.
I feel like most of our NIL went towards offense last year, and it paid clear dividends. But the script is about to flip. Ladies and gentlemen if this prophecy is true, I think the jackets are fixing to be a dangerous *** team.
The portal closes in 3 days. Who are these studs on defense coming in?

slugboy

Staff member
This thread probably would have benefited from this extra perspective a few pages ago. 😉

But, seriously, yeah it seems reasonable that over the course the season that one could have a reckoning on his limits/priorities. And if it is the case that DC isn’t it, somewhat like Thacker, I’d hope that he and Coach Key could find an agreement where he might best fit on staff, if he’s still committed and contributing.
Just my interpretation of the article

Key sees his team every day. He hasn’t been shy about making a move.

We interviewed a lot of outside candidates before landing on Key. Maybe we do the same with Sherrer.

This has been really quiet. 🤐 There’s nothing in the local paper about interviews. It’s really unusual from my perspective

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The portal closes in 3 days. Who are these studs on defense coming in?
A couple of thoughts here:
  • Between now and the portal closing we'll continue to see players from teams who are no longer playing enter the portal so it's possible you might see some more UGA players, for example, enter as the portal closes the day after the Jan 1 bowl games. However, you should not infer that I'm suggesting there will be a huge influx of defensive studs entering. Just that there are probably still going to be a few meaningful entrants over the next few days.
  • This is only my opinion but I do think that of the guys who have not committed yet (I mean ones that most would consider worth having) a significant chunk are waiting to see who leaves and what shakes out at the schools they are interested in. I'll bet that some are being told that school X isn't sure they'll have a spot because they are targeting another player but if they don't get that player than they will have a spot and some will wait. I also think some will see an opportunity to take a semester off from school and then see what shakes out in spring practices, who leaves which schools and then some schools will be desperate to fill slots (if this sounds a little like how free agency in the NFL goes then yeah, that's not accidental).
I don't see us bringing in a bunch of stud defenders. I do see us getting some players who have a great chance to be in our starting lineup come next fall on defense and I'd speculate that a number of those would be guys with one year of eligibility left. Similar to Paul Moala and Connor Scaglione.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Always smoke, mirrors, and rumors this time of year. But what if Harbaugh or Smart go pro, and/or Saban retires. I think the dominos would fall and the floodgates would open. Not only coaches, but players also. We’ll know more after Black Monday or after the CFB playoffs.