Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Getting worked up about departures is about the same as getting worked up over commitments. There are plenty of football players out there that can replace all these guys. A 6’2” 195 lb DB is a penny a dozen. Same for WR’s, LB’s, and RB’s. The DLine, OLine, and QB are the only positions that give me pause. Losing Douse sucks but he graduated so can’t blame him. We used him for years to make tackles and he used us to get a GT degree- a fair transaction.

A year ago everyone was freaking out over our RB situation. One converted slot receiver later and we all feel like the RB room is not just fine but a strength. Over the past two years everyone freaked out about losing Brown and McCollum. We haven’t missed them in the least. The simple fact is being in Atlanta will always give us portal pick ups because so many college players are from here and will gladly come home to play after testing the waters elsewhere. The portal is the best tool that could have happened for GT.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Checking out On3 to see if we have any new guys projected to come our way and stumbled across this. Welcome to CFB 2023 where you bring the whole team with you to your new job lol.

1703868915298.png

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
At what point does losing bodies on defense become problematic? We are now up to 12 players in the portal on the defensive side. Maybe all of them were poor performing starters, unimpressive backups, or way down the depth chart. Maybe we can bring in a bunch of replacements that can help our program immediately. Maybe we have enough bodies to get us through a season for both defense and special teams. But for a defense and special teams coverage that were both really bad, I am not sure we can handle the lost depth.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
That's quite a conclusion to draw from one player going into the portal.
Yeah, that may be a stretch. Lol. I believe interviews will start next week for the various open coaching positions. I would think it would start at DC and then progress from there - it would be odd if the new DC wasn't able to pick his own staff.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
At what point does losing bodies on defense become problematic? We are now up to 12 players in the portal on the defensive side. Maybe all of them were poor performing starters, unimpressive backups, or way down the depth chart. Maybe we can bring in a bunch of replacements that can help our program immediately. Maybe we have enough bodies to get us through a season for both defense and special teams. But for a defense and special teams coverage that were both really bad, I am not sure we can handle the lost depth.
The counter is regardless we can’t be much worse on defense. That’s crazy that we were that bad on defense again.

Regardless of who the new DC coaches are our defense won’t be good. Below average would be great.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Well at least we can offer immediate playing time and actually mean it.

I really don’t like this revolving door means of building a team. It kind of runs contrary to the whole brotherhood/family mantra all teams love to spout (GT included). IIWII. 🤮
I feel like the offense has some cohesion and a plan (having said that I likely jinxed and 8 kids will hit portal) but the defense seems like 11 random dudes...here's hoping the next DC can build something

slugboy

Staff member
The counter is regardless we can’t be much worse on defense. That’s crazy that we were that bad on defense again.

Regardless of who the new DC coaches are our defense won’t be good. Below average would be great.
Fans say this, and then the results come back clearly with “oh, no, there is no bottom limit”
Maybe we run a 2-4-5 next season

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

"Our defense sucks so bad that losing a bunch of players cannot make it worse" and "our defense will suck regardless of who stays or goes" are not the responses that makes me feel better about the attrition.

Also, our defense and special teams can get worse. I just do not think we want to find out how much worse they can get.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I hear Deion may be coming as our DC. Rumor has it the entire CO front 7 is coming with him if we can round up enough crayons and get the Hill to look the other way.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I hear Deion may be coming as our DC. Rumor has it the entire CO front 7 is coming with him if we can round up enough crayons and get the Hill to look the other way.
From my sources this is true…which is my 3 year old daughter who has a lot of crayons.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the new normal. Nobody knows what their fall rosters will look like until May 15, when the spring portal closes. So, right now, I am predicting a 12-win season!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
"Our defense sucks so bad that losing a bunch of players cannot make it worse" and "our defense will suck regardless of who stays or goes" are not the responses that makes me feel better about the attrition.

Also, our defense and special teams can get worse. I just do not think we want to find out how much worse they can get.
Keep your pants on. It's way too early in the cycle for the sky to be falling.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Regardless expecting a major defensive improvement for next year at this point is fools gold.
So is expecting a regression when it could just as well be addition by subtraction. This sounds horrible, but if we replaced every departure on defense with an average FBS player, it’s literally an automatic upgrade.

In my opinion, there’s no way our defense is as poorly coached this upcoming offseason (and through the first half of next season) as they were the past four offseasons and first half of last season. Would you agree with that?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
So is expecting a regression when it could just as well be addition by subtraction. This sounds horrible, but if we replaced every departure on defense with an average FBS player, it’s literally an automatic upgrade.

In my opinion, there’s no way our defense is as poorly coached this upcoming offseason (and through the first half of next season) as they were the past four offseasons and first half of last season. Would you agree with that?
Sherrer took over after the fourth game and was Co-DC prior to that. How much better will the coaching be if he stays the DC?