Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Of the guys who have entered the portal which ones, if any, have you concerned? That's an honest question. Genuinely asking your opinion.

For me I'm disappointed we lost Kennard and Kenan Johnson. So far the rest of the guys I just can't muster up much of a sense of loss. Don't get me wrong. I was hopeful for all of the kids who came here and because the coaches wanted them I thought they had potential. But there aren't many school that are more miserable to be at than GT when you don't want to be there (that also plays D1 sports) so I generally think if a kid doesn't want to be around then it's better to wish them well. And I suspect that most of the kids transferring, though not all, are doing so because they don't see themselves in the rotation anytime soon.
I think we have lost six players from the defensive line. One of which was a starter. The others were mostly Freshman who were being developed. Losing a bunch of Freshman before they have developed enough to play may seem inconsequential, but we are not good or deep enough to handle that attrition. For a defense whose line play was awful, we better pull in a lot of quality depth or else our defense will be in big trouble next year.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think we have lost six players from the defensive line. One of which was a starter. The others were mostly Freshman who were being developed. Losing a bunch of Freshman before they have developed enough to play may seem inconsequential, but for a defense whose line play was awful, we better pull in a lot of quality depth or else our defense will be in big trouble next year.

But were they really developing? The freshmen who entered the portal we were their only P5 offer. Malcom Pugh for examples had no major offers us and the likes of Furman. No way some of these guys are getting NIL money or another P5 school offer

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I also wonder how the look to your left, look to your right rule plays out academically for athletes. I barely got out without being an athlete. All GT athletes that graduate deserve our praise. It's a tough slog to the degree.
I remember my Chemistry professor in 73 giving us the lock left/right greeting. I have to say honestly that I felt there was plenty of support offered by the profs and I should have taken more advantage of their time.

The TAs, however, were more along the line of weeding out students.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
But were they really developing? The freshmen who entered the portal we were their only P5 offer. Malcom Pugh for examples had no major offers us and the likes of Furman. No way some of these guys are getting NIL money or another P5 school offer
I love how fonts will try to rationalize attrition.

If we develop a player with few offers, it is great coaching. But if they leave after one year in the program, then it is no big deal. They stank anyway.

Maybe we have a bunch of DL recruits and transfers all lined up to replace the six bodies on the DL, but I doubt it. I also cannot believe all of these players were recruiting misses being pushed out after one year. Either way, anyone we bring in will have some learning curve and some probability of failure. And that is if we can replace all of the bodies we lost.

I also never mentioned NIL.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

If we develop a player with few offers, it is great coaching. But if they leave after one year in the program, then it is no big deal. They stank anyway.

Maybe we have a bunch of DL recruits and transfers all lined up to replace the six bodies on the DL, but I doubt it. I also cannot believe all of these players were recruiting misses being pushed out after one year. Either way, anyone we bring in will have some learning curve and some probability of failure. And that is if we can replace all of the bodies we lost.

Because not every player develops equally? Sure we can hit on a 2 star like Eric Singleton or find a walk on like Joe Fusile but they also beat out 4 star James Blackstrain and 4 star Tyler Gibson.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Because not every player develops equally? Sure we can hit on a 2 star like Eric Singleton or find a walk on like Joe Fusile but they also beat out 4 star James Blackstrain and 4 star Tyler Gibson.
First of all, I never said they develop equally. I was talking about the rationalization of fonts to degrade Freshman transfers when they have no idea how much they can or will develop.

Second, since they do not develop equally, why would you push out a bunch of Freshman, as some may take time to develop. You kind of just made my point. Thanks

Eli

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I never said they develop equally. I was talking about the rationalization of fonts to degrade Freshman transfers when they have no idea how much they can or will develop.

Second, since they do not develop equally, why would you push out a bunch of Freshman, as some may take time to develop. You kind of just made my point. Thanks

Bryson Dixston hurt his leg so was not developing, Malcom Pugh was a 215 edge rusher, ET Rueben played sparingly on a terrible defense, Kyle Kennard lead the ACC in penalties, which is why his snaps got cut in half by Harris the only D lineman I wish stayed was actually a Freshman is Ezra

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
From that one tweet that had us at the fewest transfers in the conference until now? I’m starting to get a little worried… should I be worried? also, are we not going to get a new DC?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Bryson Dixston hurt his leg so was not developing, Malcom Pugh was a 215 edge rusher, ET Rueben played sparingly on a terrible defense, Kyle Kennard lead the ACC in penalties, which is why his snaps got cut in half by Harris the only D lineman I wish stayed was actually a Freshman is Ezra
Wait, if a player gets hurt or plays sparaingly as a Freshman, then there is no possibility of them ever developing? Also, players cannot gain weight? Who knew?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Wait, if a player gets hurt or plays sparaingly as a Freshman, then there is no possibility of them ever developing? Also, players cannot gain weight? Who knew?

ET Rueben was a 4th year player at his 2nd school. Dixston and Pugh were processed per KQ. You are grasping at straws

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Better yet you should follow them throughout their college career. If they end up starting at any school in Division 1A I will completely apologize and say I was wrong

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
ET Rueben was a 4th year player at his 2nd school. Dixston and Pugh were processed per KQ. You are grasping at straws
Grasping at straws. You literally said a player was hurt so he was not developing. Maybe none of them will develop. I never said they will. You seem pretty certain that they will not based on nothing other than an idiotic need to rationalize that losing six DL players is no big deal. Continue to trash all the outbound players. You do you.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

If NIL money isn’t involved with these freshmen DL players, then why would they leave IF they are progressing and PT is within sight?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Grasping at straws. You literally said a player was hurt so he was not developing. Maybe none of them will develop. I never said they will. You seem pretty certain that they will not based on nothing other than an idiotic need to rationalize that losing six DL players is no big deal. Continue to trash all the outbound players. You do you.

If you are hurt for an entire offseason and regular season please tell me how that player is developing? 6 d lineman and one was on the two deep. Keep trying to rationalize these guys we’re going to be the difference in us winning even one more game next year.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If you are hurt for an entire offseason and regular season please tell me how that player is developing? 6 d lineman and one was on the two deep. Keep trying to rationalize these guys we’re going to be the difference in us winning even one more game next year.
Did they practice at all? Did they attend team and position meetings? Did they watch game film? Did they get any instruction or coaching at all? Yes, you can develop even when hurt.

Keep arguing against things I never said. You batting 1.000 against your straw man arguments.