Transfer Portal: Who do we need to target this offseason?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
GBkt7HHaoAAUW96.jpg

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Per the NIL rules, pay for play is not allowed. At all. Hard stop.

(But all the boosters who think they can buy a championship for their school are basically thumbing their nose at the NCAA until it tries to enforce anything. And given the way things have been going for the NCAA on these sorts of topics lately, I doubt we'll see any enforcement happening.)
Thank you for answering my questions, because I really haven’t attempted to read any current NCAA rules about the NIL process and how it works (or how it’s “supposed to work”).

Regarding pay for play, I’ve heard stories over the past several decades about how boosters have made “under-the-table,” secret payments to college players and/or their parents. This part isn’t new, of course.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s a stat for you

🏈#CFB

Via Stewart Mandel 🤖 @slmandel

There were five 5-star QBs in the class of 2023.

Two, UCLA's Dante Moore & USC's Malachi Nelson, have hit the portal after one season.

One, OU's Jackson Arnold, will get his first start in the bowl game,

The others are Arch Manning & Tennessee's Nico Iamaleava.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss will never succeed in buying a National Championship. Hopefully someone, with some small sliver of integrity, will out these criminals and put them on an SMU style death penalty for a decade or so.

Go Jackets!

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s a lot of transfers the last few days. I wonder did we jump the gun celebrating the lack of transfers. Here’s hoping the staff can bring in better players who can contribute for several years.

Dinner_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Losing guys who really have not had a lot of playing time doesn’t hurt too badly. We do need to be adding some guys back.
Recruiting class rating is now in the 40’s.
I sure hope CBK has some nice surprises for us on early signing day.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Losing guys who really have not had a lot of playing time doesn’t hurt too badly. We do need to be adding some guys back.
Recruiting class rating is now in the 40’s.
I sure hope CBK has some nice surprises for us on early signing day.
Not much difference between a recruiting class at #25 and #40.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That’s a lot of transfers the last few days. I wonder did we jump the gun celebrating the lack of transfers. Here’s hoping the staff can bring in better players who can contribute for several years.
Of the guys who have entered the portal which ones, if any, have you concerned? That's an honest question. Genuinely asking your opinion.

For me I'm disappointed we lost Kennard and Kenan Johnson. So far the rest of the guys I just can't muster up much of a sense of loss. Don't get me wrong. I was hopeful for all of the kids who came here and because the coaches wanted them I thought they had potential. But there aren't many school that are more miserable to be at than GT when you don't want to be there (that also plays D1 sports) so I generally think if a kid doesn't want to be around then it's better to wish them well. And I suspect that most of the kids transferring, though not all, are doing so because they don't see themselves in the rotation anytime soon.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Of the guys who have entered the portal which ones, if any, have you concerned? That's an honest question. Genuinely asking your opinion.

For me I'm disappointed we lost Kennard and Kenan Johnson. So far the rest of the guys I just can't muster up much of a sense of loss. Don't get me wrong. I was hopeful for all of the kids who came here and because the coaches wanted them I thought they had potential. But there aren't many school that are more miserable to be at than GT when you don't want to be there (that also plays D1 sports) so I generally think if a kid doesn't want to be around then it's better to wish them well. And I suspect that most of the kids transferring, though not all, are doing so because they don't see themselves in the rotation anytime soon.
I also wonder how the look to your left, look to your right rule plays out academically for athletes. I barely got out without being an athlete. All GT athletes that graduate deserve our praise. It's a tough slog to the degree.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I also wonder how the look to your left, look to your right rule plays out academically for athletes. I barely got out without being an athlete. All GT athletes that graduate deserve our praise. It's a tough slog to the degree.
They don't do that look to your left/right thing anymore even with regular students. The school has made a very concerted effort to get away from being known as someplace most people don't survive, academically speaking.